Is this a stupid idea

JohnT

After two large stiff end of week shorts pre food I am no longer confident in my cognitive faculties so you will need to keep me right.

Future Group Build.  Wholly dependant on members honour code.  We build something in a genre we have not done before.  Something thrown together as a kid decades ago does not count. IE my several 1/700 Airfix battleships from 1970 don't count against me if I fancy a bit nautical nor does my Airfix Panther from 1960 something.

Eg I have not built a tank, ship,or car, indeed nothing other than things that fly since the 1980's.  So to qualify I pick one of the aforesaid and beg on my knees for guidance from those who are experts.

Hopefully I find a whole new world of modelling and broaden my horizons.  Also it gives a wee boost to the other modellers out there who might welcome more exposure on here in there favourite genre and also they can mentor us duffers.

Or am I talking mince as usual?  

Would it work and would it fly?

• Like 6

I like it although maybe it could be expanded to include skills as well as subjects. I'm a staunch hairy-stick devotee, so maybe I could airbrush something for example, even if it was a subject I frequently build. :hmmm:

2 minutes ago, davecov said:

I'm quite happy to build almost everything but my comfort zone is sorely tested when Photo Etch is involved!

Dave

I second the photo etch comment.

When I was a kid I would build almost anything. These days I build only WW2 aircraft with the occasional military vehicle, although 10 years ago when I got back into the hobby it was with Airfix WW2 warships.

I quite fancy building cars or motorbikes at some point, trouble is they would be things like old Cortinas, Maxis, Triumphs and BSA's which there are not so many kits of. The old Airfix range was nice, I remember building the old Airfix Rolls Royce after watching the David Niven film the Yellow Rolls Royce.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Thirded on the etch thing.....Something like this would be the very acme of discomfort for me:

Image result for photo etch full kits

& before anyone asks.....No!  :lol:

Go on!! You know you want to ;)  

20 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

20/11/1917 

But i suppose it will slip unnoticed

Cambrai of course.  Knew it but was just teasing.

To make amends if this ever gets traction I will turn my hand to a WW1 tank to make amends to Panzer Vor.

(Traction - see what I did there? ;))

• Like 1

I bought a couple of motorbikes in the closing down sale of Dominoes Toy Shop in Leicester in 2013 basically because there wasn't much else left and I wanted to buy something. The closest thing to a motorbike I have built is Mobius' Batpod. So if this GB gets the go-ahead I could build one or both of those. I cannot remember exactly which two motorbikes I got - I'll have to check to see if I can find them.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Suppose I could build a  wingy thing but how to get past the box burning my fingers ?? :whistle:

Gloves? :shrug:

On 23/01/2017 at 3:18 PM, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Nah.....That would be cheating!  ;)

I'll do this one: 

s-l300.jpg

As a diversion you could try these John. They are well made models by Airfix all new moldings using a top calss plastic.

They go together well. I found them a joy to build.

Airfix Herrick range. Landrovers, Coyote, Jackal, Quad Bikes, Warrior. To go with those the Merlin & Lynx Helicopters.

The Merlin is a superb build.

Laurie

• Like 2