Trumpeter LAV-III

BlackMax12

Thanks Ozzy

This is typical Trumpeter, they give you a round hole and a square peg to put in it or the pegs don't match where they are supposed to go.  Every piece needs trimming and scraping so it fits properly or the best it can.

So their kits are more modeling than just assembly, which I guess is good....maybe, if you don't just want to get it done.

Dragon and Meng are far superior even though Dragon needs an instruction-writing course and they tend to use 6 parts when one will do.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

Try a Panda kit. 🙄 I actually like Trumpy kits and find them pretty good fit wise. Doing the Puma currently and no real issues. Nice job so far. LAVs and Strykers do look menacing

Looks good.

I've built a couple of Trumpeter LAV variants and the key is a steady hand, determination and a strong drink! They can be quite "fiddly" and frustrating but they build into nice vehicles.

Here it is so far.

Still needs mirrors, tow cables, antennas, lots of junk and paint and dirt to match my C2 Cdn Leopard.

Lots of fiddly parts and a surprising amount of photo-etch for Trumpeter.  i think I'll leave the big storage boxes off the back and I left the driver's windows off the hatch as I think all that looks goofy.

I see the cable cutter in front of the driver's hatch is bent to the side, camera shows all again.

98U9kf7.jpgXFkHJgn.jpgOAbQZ9h.jpgxIo1odl.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 10

Decals and lots of junk mostly and I think they had a little more bolt on armour plates than the US version.  All of the armour is in the kit as I believe the LAV-III is a Cdn designation while the US version is the 1136 but don't quote me.

Anyway mine will be Canadian whether it's 100% accurate or not.  I don't see any Cdn flags on the decal sheet but whatever.

Thanks for looking,

Lloyd

been considering these modern APC type vehicles as a basis for a WHIF (Star Wars/some sort of warhammer/future type vehicle)... this looks really nice - great work

Nice.

Tempted to get one as a companion to their BMP, I like things with eight wheels.

Did it have any interior detail? The BMP came with full interior, but no painting instructions, plus  fiddly PE seat brackets that could never be seen, even with all the hatches open.

• 5 weeks later...

'Twas all black about 15 minutes ago and now getting ready for Saint Patrick's Day all dressed in green.

Got some fading to do, paint up the tools, install lights and some serious junk and dirtied up as in action.

Just noticed those ridiculous mounting holes on the rear storage box supports.  Since I didn't fill them I guess I'll end up using the big box after all but I'm not thrilled with the look.

stpwCZA.jpgMcHIiPt.jpgckKIFf7.jpgtYXFzHS.jpgBMsHz8a.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 3

Here it is with the big storage box over the rear.  It has PE on both ends but only one is in place at the moment and of course it's going to be green eventually too.

Question is:  Should I just fill the holes in the supports or go ahead with painting and mounting the box??  I'm not enthused with the look  when the box is mounted but it does sort of grow on you.

4LWQUAJ.jpgN2EH2Z9.jpgXq3IKGC.jpgUJuTvsP.jpg

• Like 4

Yes I guess if it's going to be more prototypical it needs the box.  Ugggh more photo etch bending.  And I  added the handle on the hatch on the right in front of the turret, missed that one when I was building.

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

Here it is with the big bad box in place.  A little different green as it was an add-on and when I fade everything overall it should blend in I think.

I also added just a bit of the different green to the rear deck and the top of the rear hatch and the spare tire rack for a little contrast.  Doesn't look too terrible.

Click on the pics to make them bigger as it's hard to see the darker green on the deck.

hhXwzEN.jpgYmER4XM.jpgblvDk1g.jpgpjd3nqN.jpgFgHcxY2.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 4

It's coming along.  Needs some more junk and some more dirty and maybe a "stop or die" sign.  This is a fairly new unit in Afghanistan as it's still pretty green and not completely faded to a grayish whatever.

GqzbsJX.jpgJ5DGCWb.jpgL8RGgua.jpgAlUx8wE.jpgtof7FGi.jpgCdwZRpv.jpgTtkwbt2.jpglxiHM74.jpg

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 5