Hello,Friends - This subject is my first completed build of the year.The only non-standard kit part is the pitot probe which I like to replace with nickel silver wire.The paint used was Humbrol 'Super Enamel'No.69,airbrushed over a base of Halfords White Primer.The decals are sealed between two brush-applied coats of 'Klear' Floor Polish.I wanted to pose her with deflected control surfaces and an open hood and canopy.The mountings for the hood and canopy were very fragile so I've discreetly strengthened them with the wire.

Thank you for viewing.😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

IMG_9656_zpslgatdgz7.jpg

IMG_9657_zpsvdolmg2e.jpg

IMG_9658_zps3hvmpwzo.jpg

IMG_9661_zpszzmwebgz.jpg

IMG_9669_zpsh6jsfdaj.jpg

IMG_9670_zpspw4kpfgi.jpg

• Like 51

You never disappoint Paul, another polished model of a fine aircraft. What is Super Enamel, I have never heard of it but looking at your Gnat it certainly gives a lovely finish.

It is also nice to see the Yellowjack scheme, I never did see them fly but must have looked stunning in that colour.

Best Regards

Gary

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

What an amazing Gnat , love the way you have posed it with the off set control surfaces and a nice gloss finish that is not to over the top.

Great choice of the colour scheme you don't  see to many Yellowjack Gnats done.

Lightning looks good along side too. Well done mate.

:goodjob:

Guy

• Like 1

20 hours ago, polo1112 said:

Mcdonnell, your Gnat is absolutely fantastic  !!!

It's a real eye catcher.

Congratulations.:clap2:

:goodjob::wow:

Hello,Polo - Many thanks for your very kind and much appreciated reply.The Airfix kit has good detail.Due to its physical size,even in 1/48 scale,some of the parts are quite fragile and need care during construction,particularly the hinges on the hood and canopy, if choosing the 'open' option.There are some nice-looking schemes for the type and although it's a single colour, I've always loved the one you see here.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

20 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

You never disappoint Paul, another polished model of a fine aircraft. What is Super Enamel, I have never heard of it but looking at your Gnat it certainly gives a lovely finish.

It is also nice to see the Yellowjack scheme, I never did see them fly but must have looked stunning in that colour.

Best Regards

Gary

Hello,Gary - Many thanks for your very kind and much appreciated reply. I'm only,dare I say, a modeller with average abilities but I try to do my best.When I see the fabulous work on the Forum I know I've a lot to learn! 😳

The Humbrol 'Super Enamel' was part of their range and I bought this item some considerable time ago.Although stood for a few years,the paint had remained beautifully 'fluid' and needed only minimal stirring.The nearest comparison would be Xtracolor Enamel.However,on this occasion,I found the Humbrol,thinned approx.40% with White Spirit,sprayed like a dream.I also noticed that it's safe drying time was considerably less.In my opinion, it lived up to its name.

I never saw the 'Yellowjacks' either but I totally agree,they would look stunning.

😉👍 All the very best, Paul.

• Like 1

An absolute classic. The Gnat looks great in that scheme and you've done a flawless presentation...very nice indeed. The New Years off to a roaring start at Britmodeller it seems, so many great models on display.  Have you posted your Lighning Paul? that looks very nice too.....:)

Best wishes,   Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave N said:

An absolute classic. The Gnat looks great in that scheme and you've done a flawless presentation...very nice indeed. The New Years off to a roaring start at Britmodeller it seems, so many great models on display.  Have you posted your Lighning Paul? that looks very nice too.....:)

Best wishes,   Dave

Hello,Dave - Many thanks for your very kind and much appreciated reply.

Yes indeed,the Lightning has been on RFI. The topic title is "Poised To Strike - King Cobra".

I totally agree with you,the Forum never ceases to amaze me with the variety and quality of models to savour.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2017 at 5:31 PM, aircraftkit said:

Very nice.  Well done !

Don

Hello,Don - Welcome to the Forum and thank you for your very kind and much appreciated reply.I'm pleased you like her.

On 20/01/2017 at 6:28 PM, F4u said:

Hi Paul,

What an amazing Gnat , love the way you have posed it with the off set control surfaces and a nice gloss finish that is not to over the top.

Great choice of the colour scheme you don't  see to many Yellowjack Gnats done.

Lightning looks good along side too. Well done mate.

:goodjob:

Guy

Hello,Guy - Many thanks for your very kind and much appreciated reply. I hope the off-set control surfaces would add a little more interest.The mountings for these are delicate but beautifully engineered.I've hangared the Gnat next to the Lightning as it provides a good size comparison with another of 'Teddy' Petter's finest!

On 20/01/2017 at 7:50 PM, Darren Rhodes said:

That's a stunning model! 

:clap2: :thumbsup: :clap2:

Darren

Hello,Darren - Many thanks for your very kind and much appreciated reply.

The kit itself is enjoyable to build.The level of detail is really good,in my humble opinion. Another plus is that despite the scale it certainly won't occupy much ramp space!😀

😉👍 All the vey best,Paul.

On 21/01/2017 at 0:10 AM, Bell209 said:

Lovely change from the usual red!

Hello,Bell209 - Many thanks to you from across the miles!

Yes,I agree with you,the 'Yellowjacks' scheme is my personal favourite and indeed it does make a change from the 'Reds'.There are some lovely Training Schemes for the type as well.I plan on doing of these in due course.

On 21/01/2017 at 1:53 AM, Meatbox8 said:

I sooooo wish I could apply paint as well as this.  Love the Gnat, love the scheme.  Just beautiful. 

Hello,Meatbox8 - Many thanks for your very kind and much appreciated reply. I'm so pleased you give her the 'thumbs up'.

I guess everyone has their 'favourite' element in the model-making process.For me, once I've conquered the actual construction and preparation for paint, I breathe a sigh of relief,as I feel I've cleared my biggest hurdle. It can give a few scares sometimes but I can start to 'relax' a little when I get to the painting and finishing work.I enjoy the decalling stage as well.

Don't misunderstand me,I've got a lot to learn with every part of the processes involved.At the end of the day,my friend,if we can sit back,look at our latest build and raise a smile,what more can we ask for?

"Happy Fettling!" 😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1