Paint removal

MADMUSKY

Soak it overnight in a bath of isopropyl alcohol. An old ice cream tub, complete with lid is ideal for this. Then scrub it under clean running water with an old toothbrush. It sometimes takes a few soaks but it is the most gentle way of removing old paint. Some soak in brake fluid, but I don't like this as I find it makes the plastic weak and brittle.

2 minutes ago, krow113 said:

I believe extended soaking in any of the paint removal technique's will 'brittlize' the plastic.

The minimum time soaking is best.

Not true with the isopropyl alcohol. I've soaked parts in it for days at a time, even clear parts and it has no effect on the plastic at all. It's perfectly safe and non aggressive...

I relate  from my own experience.

Too long of soaking can make the plastic brittle. Not really concerned with what the substance is. Safer is better than sorry.

I/A did this to some resin wheels .

Before:

IMG_1445_zpsrzyi0qsb.jpg

After:

IMG_1677_zps1psj5tzr.jpg

So it is easy to disregard the information and input of others , the internet is good for that. However I dont waste my time refuting others and quoting them . Be aware other people may have a lot more experience regarding the scope of the question asked.

And yes I know they are resin and not plastic.

I wasn't refuting you, I was just giving an opinion based upon my experience using the alcohol as a stripper on plastic parts. I haven't used it on resin parts, so I trust what you say on this and value your opinion too. What I would say is that those resin wheels have quite thin spokes, so a longer soak on a part of this type could cause potential problems due to the thickness of the material. My experience with the alcohol is mostly on whole car bodies in 1/24th scale. These are usually much thicker plastic and more suited to an extended soak time. One must use a modicum of common sense when deciding upon the soak time and vary it according to part type..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I have had some success using Vanish oxi action. The powdered stuff that you put on a stain pre wash that comes in a pink tub.

I have used it to strip Tamiya acrylics back to raw plastic. It works extremely well. Just submerge the model in warm water and then sprinkle the vanish all over. rub it so that it dissolves and rubs against the paint. Leave it 30 mins and then rinse under hot water.

I have found the paint simply runs away under the hot tap.

I found Vallejo acrylics to be a little more resistant but some rubbing with a cloth/ sponge and hot water and it does eventually move.

Im intrigued to know if anyone else has used vanish for this.

Regards

Gary