Yeovilton Air Day - when? what aircraft, mark and squadrons?

bootneck

This certainly is not boring in any way, thank you for posting them.  It is strange, but probably typical, in that I was based at Yeovilton on a number of occasions and was involved in some of the Air Days, but I very rarely took a camera with me on those days.  I do remember one occasion that I took the camera, it was when we had two or three Concordes as part of the displays; I'll try to find the photo's and post them here.

Mike

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bootneck said:

This certainly is not boring in any way, thank you for posting them.  It is strange, but probably typical, in that I was based at Yeovilton on a number of occasions and was involved in some of the Air Days, but I very rarely took a camera with me on those days.  I do remember one occasion that I took the camera, it was when we had two or three Concordes as part of the displays; I'll try to find the photo's and post them here.

Mike

I still try and go to Yeovilton most years, but in 96 it was 35mm film cameras and you had to ration your shots, wish I could go to that show now with a

digital camera I'd have a field day, unfortunately you don't get a line up like that year very often now, I have pictures of the Vikings and Hawkeyes that the

JFK sent as well, they were in the static line to the right of your picture just out of view.

• Like 2

I do like the Tornado but have not really had much chance to look into the types and marks so please forgive me if this is a silly question: 

Is the nose of the grey Tornado longer than the camouflaged Tornado, or is it an optical illusion?  Similarly, the grey one appears to sit lower than the cam'd.

Do I need to get my coat and take up stamp collecting :blink:

32323456231_5d7d1379f5_c.jpg

31616928883_cd177a52b6_c.jpg

The F3 version is 18.68m long and the Bomber version is 16.72m long due to the longer radome for the Foxhunter radar in the fighter version and a fuselage

Stretch behind the cockpit, if you notice you can see the intakes on the german version go further down the cockpit sides. The height of both version is said to be 5.95m so it may an optical illusion which makes the F3 look like it is sitting closer to the ground, but I stand to be corrected by someone who has a better

Knowledge of Tornado's than me.

Willy

Hi  Willy,

thank you again.  I'm going to have a google to try and find some profile views which will show the differences.   I do have a few 1:144 scale Tornado kits that I want to build but I think they may all be from the same mould, just in different guises.

cheers

Mike

Mike,

These 2 images should show the physical differences between the IDS/GR.4 and the ADV/F.3 .

2005-RIAT-RAF-207.jpg

Tornado GR.4 ZG756/BX 14 Squadron 15/07/2005

2005-RIAT-RAF-183.jpg

Tornado F.3 ZG753/HH 111 Squadron 15/07/2005

The F.3 has a longer rear fuselage - note the postions of the exhausts relative to the trailing edge of the fin & also the shape of the fillet at the base of the fin.

As dolphin38 said there is a fuselage stretch on the F.3 behind the cockpit  - note the position of the engine intake relative to the canopy and finally the radar nose of the F.3 is longer and a different shape to that of the GR.1/4 .

Rod

Edited by rod mcq
spelling error
  • Like 1