Yeovilton Air Day - when? what aircraft, mark and squadrons?

bootneck

I have this photograph of one of the Air Days at Yeovilton and it shows a nice array of visiting aircraft.   I thought that this might make a nice theme for building some of the aircraft in the photo; however, I do not know the version, mark or squadrons of the aircraft on show here and I can't identify the year.  I am presuming that this photo was taken in the mid-1990's but not sure on that.  Can anyone identify the year and the aircraft versions, squadrons/markings, nationalities etc. please?

yeovilton_air_day_1024.jpg

I have listed the visiting aircraft I can recognise, but not their versions i.e. GR.1 or F.3 etc., or the squadrons they belong to.

foreground:

Skyvan - G-PIGY

Sea Fury - 361 Netherlands

Civil -  N60987 USA

Civil - N6008?  USA

Vimy - G-EAOU

background:

Hunter

Tornado grey - F.3 111 Sqn RAF

F-16's

Alpha Jet

Jaguar

Tornado cam -

Jet Provost

F/A-18 Hornets

F-14 Tomcats

Bae Hawks

I can supply a larger resolution image if requested by pm and supplying an email address to send it to.

Any information helping to identify the missing details would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Mike

Yes,  I have those listed but not placed them in the query as I was looking for info on the visiting aircraft.  I'll amend the OP to reflect that.

Thanks

Mike

It looks like it was the 1996 show. There were 4 USN F-14's  plus F/A-18s present that year according to the BARG report of the show.

The flight lines contained 2 RNHF Swordfish and the Firefly plus a Skyvan , all of which are in the photo.

I have sent you a PM regarding the show list

Edited by rod mcq
addtion

The Vimy replica should provide a clue since it only flew for a short period of time.

"On July 7, 1994, John, Peter, Lang, and other team members pulled the completed replica from the hangar for her first public viewing. Just over three weeks later, she make her first flight. In August, the Vimy was separated into forward and aft sections and flown in the cargo hold of a C-5 Galaxy from California to England in preparation for the flight to Australia in 1995."

• Like 1

WoW!  thank you very much for the information and the images; I really appreciate this.  With regards to BARG and databases,  I didn't know such things existed, hence my query here on Britmodeller.  I was based at Yeovilton and I have a real affinity with the place and so want to have a go at making some models of the aircraft that attended some of the shows.

Again, thank you very much for such definitive and useful information.

Mike

A nice set of photos there Dolphin38, thanks for putting them up. I wish you hadn't though, now I have to buy another Hawk to do XX165 in the early (ex RAF) scheme, I've not seen that one before & its got RN marks so........ :)

Steve.

22 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A nice set of photos there Dolphin38, thanks for putting them up. I wish you hadn't though, now I have to buy another Hawk to do XX165 in the early (ex RAF) scheme, I've not seen that one before & its got RN marks so........ :)

Steve.

The Airfix 1:48th kit contains an option for the Senior Service aircraft.

Comes up rather nicely too... ;)

6 hours ago, hairystick said:

The Airfix 1:48th kit contains an option for the Senior Service aircraft.

Comes up rather nicely too... ;)

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Thanks HS, pity I'm a 1/72 type. :(

Steve.

I think I will have similar problems to you Steve.  I would like to build these in my favourite scale 1:144 and that is the reason for wishing to know which marks of aircraft they all are.  I keep looking at the photograph and thinking that it would make a great diorama but the size would mean it has to be as small as 1:144; although I have contemplated doing the whole airbase in 1:350 scale, including the tower and hangars! :frantic:

Dolphin38, those images are of great help and, combined with the datalist provided by Rod and Paul, I can now spend a little time researching what marks the aircraft are and what 1:144 scale kits are needed to build this Air Day collection.

Thank you all again, I really do appreciate your very helpful contributions.  :clap:

Mike

• Like 2

I had another look through my pictures and found these from the 1996 Air day, I think thats the last of the ones I have from the picture so I won't bore you anymore

Willy

31601323304_8a7d0d1f0f_c.jpgimg072 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

32323456231_5d7d1379f5_c.jpgimg292 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

32444536585_69f06f599c_c.jpgimg300 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

32323381531_1d60dd854d_c.jpgimg297 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

• Like 1