Manx Norton 500

Well Guys, a year later & after my figures & busts, the back burner project gets done & finished...:o Many thanks to Macgregor of this forum, a fellow club member of mine & all round top bloke for the excellent photography...cheers Mate...

MTD01-1_zpssufa6jka.jpg

MTD02-2_zpsltjvzvfo.jpg

MTD03-3_zpsneemhp2z.jpg

MTD04-4_zpss1ccbzc4.jpg

A great project build that challenged me to push a bit harder on my modelling but has now opened the floodgates for another Norton, a Protar Norton Commando 750...see you in another year...:D

Mark D ;)

• Like 24

Oh, very nice !!

I'm guessin' this is the Italeri Geoff Duke Norton which keeps leaping out of the stash yelling "Build me !! build me !!" every time I go near it.  Must take that hint.

Hope I can build mine to that standard…….that's a stunner !

Did you strip the chrome and repaint, or is it the kit chrome ?

Saw Geoff Duke riding it during the Isle of Man TT back in the fifties…….ah, the smell of Castrol R………..

• Like 1

Thanks,  Vince, Alpha, Frankie, Roginoz,

yep, it's the Italeri reboot of the Protar original Manx Norton.

The chrome was stripped using Domestos bleach &a repainted with good old Alclad chrome! :)

Geoff Duke, he knew how to get the best out of these 'bone shakers' :o

do yourself a favour & crack open the box....you won't be disappointed 

Mark D ;)

Hi roginoz,

If you want to make a reasonably accurate Norton of Geoff Duke's, you'll need to do a fair amount of research and modifications to the Protar/Italeri kit. It's a reasonable, if a little crude, model of a later bike, from memory about from the '60s.

Duke's bikes were from the early '50s and are quite a bit different. Norton made many changes every year, for instance (again from memory) they changed the main sprocket to the opposite side of the bike, changed the finning of the cylinder barrels and head, the geometry of the rear suspension (early bikes had a bolt-on rear frame). shape of the seat, oil tank and rear suspension units and I don't think early bikes had twin leading shoe front brakes. That's just a few of the more noticeable changes.

To make anything like an accurate model, you need to pick a year, then look closely at as many photos as you can find of that years machines.

It's not impossible to do, just a bit complicated. Of course you can just ignore it and build it as is. You'll still have a great looking model!;)

I'd love to see Tamiya or Hasegawa do one of these in 1/12 with modern tooling. Can't see it ever happening but it's nice to dream..........................

Goes to show how badly modellers of classic bikes are served.

Dave

Nice model Fazer!

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Thank you for this advice - sounds like a bit of research, with the option of scratch building may be required. I had noted the inclusion of twin leading shoe brakes, but haven't studied the kit closely enough to note some of the other issues you raise.

Yes, I  realise that development of racing bikes was an ongoing process so it's out with the old mags from my British biking days ………after I've cleaned all the red backs out of the boxes…….

Hi Rog,

Red-backs!:yikes::spider:

There's a lot of info on the net but they don't always include the date. Some great pictures though. Coupled with the mags you should find more than enough to keep you going.

Duke was only at Norton until 1953 so there aren't many years to cover.

Good luck with your model.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Fazer,

Firstly I love your Manx NORTON.:heart:

it's absolutely  GORGEOUS .... I have a great liking for the NORTONS  as I see quite a lot  of them when  in India...:Tasty:

they seem to be everywhere and your modeling is  STUNNING.:wub:

:clap2:  BRAVO ... Brilliant work. 

:mike:

MY 50 Likes expired but LIKE your work!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...