This ones got zimmermit, updated 05/03/17

Ozzy

The Panther is being built as part of a diorama currently in progress in the dio section. This is one of my Christmas presents I'm finally getting started.

I didn't take any pics of what you get in the box,as Stix's has a comprehensive set on his thread. I did take some of eduard  horizontal set of zimmerit pictured below, I have recently been in the states while I was there I had a look for some gator grip glue as recommend by gremlin 56 as an alternative to CA glue. But couldn't find any, however I did find this gorilla glue it's a cross between PVA and CA it's activated by a damp cloth. Just the job to slide large sections of PE into place.

8876e90dfa58c5312f17e151a8b6a4db_zpsreh7

b03e282d6b1bf3cefbec9e50a1967286_zpszazs

Two sides on and the various anchor points along the sides for tools and tracks. 

a90d286a0c4b1626a50bf6349d34dde6_zps4uq3

I read a post by mike back in 2008 saying to post all pictures in the first post to allow the reader to not miss anything, so I'm giving that method a go.

I've got most of the zimmermit on, just the mud guards and some pistol port plugs left. The side skirts have a zimmermit cove also, however I will just mount the brass section on their own rather than attaching to the kit parts. Prior to attacking the PE to the turret there is a slight overhang on the right on part C 13 that's attached to C 33 it's ok as the zimmermit covers it.

d353e98ffc2152fd4c2d66b0c0dc79b0_zps67eh

edc2a19d563f95d7c1042a32c400346d_zpsrhdm

338b94e39f78b345bebdc1e556b8574d_zpss7c5

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, cambridge said:

zimmerit, the magic word to catch my attention

Cambridge,

glad to have you a long for the ride.

Well you knew I'd be here! :popcorn:

I'm really looking forward to seeing your version come together with the Zimmerit on. It looking rather good already!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Well you knew I'd be here! :popcorn:

I'm really looking forward to seeing your version come together with the Zimmerit on. It looking rather good already!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

after you returned to yours, I've been itching to start mine, the zimmermit is going on really well.

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

nice.... i did a StuG with eduard zimm - really does work well

Thanks Robw,

the zimmermit  is going on really well, I've not used a PE variant before but will definitely use PE again.

• Like 1

That zimmerit looks fantastic Ozzy. 

I received Eduard's PE for my Tamiya StuG IV which is waiting in the stash. Other than melting zimmerit into a Tiger 1 with a pyrograph, I've never applied zimmerit before, either the Tamiya 'decal' type or PE, so I was wondering how best to fix it.  I do have Gorilla glue but it's the brown type that expands so that's out of the question. I think I'll have to go with CA.

So, is CA okay to use?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Looking good Ozzy,

I'll be interested to hear how the Gorilla glue works out.

This is the link to Kenny Loup's Gator Grip Glue:

http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=2660

Cheers,

Julian

Thanks Julian,

the Gorilla glue worked really well, having read the review of the Gator grip glue. They sound fairly similar, it's recommend that you dampen the glue to speed up the curing process and drys white rather than clear. I used a spatula to apply then dampened the back of the PE and slid into place, a few pegs to hold it down then left for the recommended 30 minutes. And it only cost me $4 from Wallmart.

2 hours ago, Badder said:

That zimmerit looks fantastic Ozzy. 

I received Eduard's PE for my Tamiya StuG IV which is waiting in the stash. Other than melting zimmerit into a Tiger 1 with a pyrograph, I've never applied zimmerit before, either the Tamiya 'decal' type or PE, so I was wondering how best to fix it.  I do have Gorilla glue but it's the brown type that expands so that's out of the question. I think I'll have to go with CA.

So, is CA okay to use?

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder,

ive not tried the melting method, I've had success with putty and I've tried the Tamiya stick on successfully on my Dragon tiger. The good thing about the Tamiya stick on stuff is that it's clear, so if you do cover any holes you can see them. It's the first time I've used PE zimmermit and am impressed. As for fixing it says that this Gorilla glue expands, it says on the box that less is more. CA glue works however you have to be quick, having read the above review it says about PVA glue which will allow for the sheets to be moved into place without the fear of it sticking firm slightly wonky. I'm going back to the states next month if you would like me to pick you some up? Just PM me you postal address and I will send it on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Thanks Badder,

ive not tried the melting method, I've had success with putty and I've tried the Tamiya stick on successfully on my Dragon tiger. The good thing about the Tamiya stick on stuff is that it's clear, so if you do cover any holes you can see them. It's the first time I've used PE zimmermit and am impressed. As for fixing it says that this Gorilla glue expands, it says on the box that less is more. CA glue works however you have to be quick, having read the above review it says about PVA glue which will allow for the sheets to be moved into place without the fear of it sticking firm slightly wonky. I'm going back to the states next month if you would like me to pick you some up? Just PM me you postal address and I will send it on.

Thanks for the info Ozzy, and for the offer. However, I have relatives in the U.S. so I can always ask them to post ... sorry, mail me some. But I think I will 'stick' with CA for now. The StuG is a lot smaller than your Panther so the zimmerit sheets are nowhere near as unwieldy. I will definitely look into the white Gorilla glue and enquire about the Gator Grip though. I'm always looking out for new adhesives for my dios if nothing else.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badder said:

Thanks for the info Ozzy, and for the offer. However, I have relatives in the U.S. so I can always ask them to post ... sorry, mail me some. But I think I will 'stick' with CA for now. The StuG is a lot smaller than your Panther so the zimmerit sheets are nowhere near as unwieldy. I will definitely look into the white Gorilla glue and enquire about the Gator Grip though. I'm always looking out for new adhesives for my dios if nothing else.

Rearguards,

Badder

No worrys Badder, I'm definitely going to use the Gorilla glue on Dutch house.

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Neat work Ozzy.....Following with interest as always.  :coolio: 

Welcome aboard Sarge, and thanks again for the reference material.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

I used medium CA on my Tiger Zimmerit, gives a bit of wriggle room compared to the thin.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I know what you mean about the thin stuff, I built a Viking long boat out of balsa wood with my daughter for a school project. We got in a bit of a pickle, as it drys pretty quick.

• Like 1

I had already liked your first post Ozzy so I have added a like to the one above. It does look very impressive with all that Zimmerit in place! Going to be an amazing looking beast!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 23 January 2017 at 09:50, PlaStix said:

I had already liked your first post Ozzy so I have added a like to the one above. It does look very impressive with all that Zimmerit in place! Going to be an amazing looking beast!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

Apologies for the delay I've been assisting the Navy with some stuff down at Culdrose, no internet but they have a free swimming pool on camp.

i think that is the only floor in the plan, the zimmermit does look mighty fine in position. With the larger Arabs covered I can now start build with the kit parts.

On 23 January 2017 at 14:13, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That looks lovely, almost a shame to paint it!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Sarge,

i know what you mean about the painting, I won't be in a rush to paint this one.

3 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Looking good ,didn't know you could use Gorilla glue ,i used super glue on my Tamiya King Tiger ,(still a work in Process)

Thanks  Cocky,

neither did i, it w as somthing Gremlin had mentioned about gator grip glue that got me to try it. It works really well.

Wish i had known ,talking about super glue ,has anyone ever got the last drop out of a tube ?.

I thought i was being clever when i empted some tubes in to an old Tamiya extra thin cement bottle ,the first attempt the top became impossible to open .

Second attempt ,left the top slightly loose and the whole bottle set rock solid .

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Wish i had known ,talking about super glue ,has anyone ever got the last drop out of a tube ?.

I thought i was being clever when i empted some tubes in to an old Tamiya extra thin cement bottle ,the first attempt the top became impossible to open .

Second attempt ,left the top slightly loose and the whole bottle set rock solid .

With such large areas of PE and my luck with super glue, I was happy to try anything that would give some wiggle time and not get stuck to me more than the kit. I find tubes of super glue like tubes of filler, they seem to go off before I'm half way through them. I like the idea of decanteing into a pot and brushing it on.

acd7f168ac66a59ac03a668bebbaf53e_zpsqalq

I've reverted back to separate posts, I understand the idea but a little difficult to like etc. Just a small update as I've been finishing off my Avenger, not my favourite part but thought I would make a start on the road wheels. I gave them a coat of Vallejo dunkelgelb dark yellow through the airbrush, it's a little darker than the lifecolor I used on my Panzer IV. The shinny bits on the road wheels are painted with Tamiya chrome x-11 and the rubber is XF-85 black rubber, there a little rough around the edges but will touch up with the dark yellow. I also gave the sides of the hull a coat also, I will make a start on the tracks soon.

• Like 4