This ones got zimmermit, updated 05/03/17

Ozzy

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Damn that came together well.  :coolio:

Thanks Sarge,

im pleased with how it's going so far, it's gone together really well.

19 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

The zimm turned out really well with the paint added Ozzy, nearly impossible to tell that it's PE.

:yes:

Thanks Gremlin,

the paint covered the brass really well, there were only a couple of areas that needed to have a second coat.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Bodmin said:

Found your builds now I'm looking in the right place. Looking good :smile:

Thanks mate,

ive read the the info in the diorama section, saying that you build elements in the various sections and then bring them together in the dio section. It's gone together really well, I should hopefully get a bit done tomorrow.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

ive read the the info in the diorama section, saying that you build elements in the various sections and then bring them together in the dio section.....

I've often wondered that. It makes perfect sense. 

• Like 1

After a little time away with work, it's nice to get a bit of modelling done. I started by finishing the tracks the instructions state 85 per side, I took Stix's advice and added an extra on each side. I put the against the kits band tracks, if I'd used the kits band tracks they would have been a tight fit to say the least. I then got the smoke discharges attached I used  30 amp fuse wire on the back of my he units into the turret, I drilled holes into the back of each discharger. I just need to give the turret and side skirts a lick of paint.

d8ca4b73ede16684e6873c24605f4605_zps15mi

275f8c21554b935ad60cedcd84f17a9f_zpsqyhk

9ea8185a043a9474ab91f7a011af2e01_zpsfmhx

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Good to see this one back underway. Glad you got the tracks sorted - it's all coming together very nicely. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

ive been itching to do a bit of modelling, I put the tracks together with your advice about adding an extra one each side. But I've got an odd number left over not sure how that happened? Hopefully I will paint the turret and side skirts, then find a camouflage scheme to put on her.

• Like 1

Looking good Ozzy.

That PE zimmerit looks almost 3-D and most PE tends to be flat, sort of 1-D or one dimensional.  I've tried several times to do a zimmerit job with various putties and swear words but so far given up in disgust, so the PE might be worth a shot.

The only vehicle I have with zimmerit is a Dragon King Tiger that came with molded on zimmerit and it turned out ok, lots better than my attempts.

What have you picked for the camo scheme as it would look good in a faded 3 color with the ambush dots but I'm not sure if a "D" was ever painted that way.  That's a scheme I have to try, soon as I get my nerve up that is.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

On 27 February 2017 at 08:00, BlackMax12 said:

Looking good Ozzy.

That PE zimmerit looks almost 3-D and most PE tends to be flat, sort of 1-D or one dimensional.  I've tried several times to do a zimmerit job with various putties and swear words but so far given up in disgust, so the PE might be worth a shot.

The only vehicle I have with zimmerit is a Dragon King Tiger that came with molded on zimmerit and it turned out ok, lots better than my attempts.

What have you picked for the camo scheme as it would look good in a faded 3 color with the ambush dots but I'm not sure if a "D" was ever painted that way.  That's a scheme I have to try, soon as I get my nerve up that is.

Take care,

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd,

i li to have tried the putty method with variouing success, I've also used the Tamiya stick on stuff on a dragon tiger which looked pretty good. This is the first time I've used PE and I have to say I'm impressed with the results. The only machine I've ever saw with zimmermit is a jag tiger I think at the bovington tank museum, the application of that was pretty flat so not sure if there was a best practice depth for zimmermit?

ive been reaching the colour scheme and as its a D without an upgraded turret, it will just be a faded 3 colour affair. I have seen some ambush schemes that I was tempted to do, but reading towards the end of the war these were applied in the factory due to paint shortages.

On 27 February 2017 at 11:44, FrancisGL said:

Looks very good, nice progress for now...:popcorn:

Chers Ozzy :D

Thanks Francis,

shes progressing nicely, hopefully I will have her finished in the next couple of weeks. Ready for my Mozzie build.

On 28 February 2017 at 15:36, Gremlin56 said:

Nice aggressive looking Panther Ozzy, like it :yes:

Thanks Gremlin,

its the first panther I've ever built, I've got to agree she does look nice and aggressive waiting to pounce.

19 hours ago, Natter said:

Liking this.

Thanks Dave,

welcome abroad.

ive got a little more colour on her this evening, having checked my reference books. It was only towards the end of the war, that they were given a coat of camouflage in the factory. Earlier in the war it was down to the crew to add the camouflage, to that end there was no standard pattern. I did roughly copy one of the colour schemes that's on the kits instructions. I will tone the camo down over the weekend with a mix of MIG pigments.

807eb777297df66de1ec3356dec43d69_zpsq69l

71a14180b0799ddf19fe0e0c6a924393_zps7snf

• Like 2

Looks good so far but you're right it is a bit bright and too much contrast but the pigments should tone that down nicely.  I think I would put some over spray on the wheels  and tires or are you going to dirty the crap out of them?

Like the look of the worn bare metal on the tracks.  I'd never though of doing that but it does make sense and I see you have the Panther look with the rims of the inner road wheels scuffed all nice and shiney.

That tow hook on the glacis looks realistic, more so than just having it stuck on the side like normal, another nice touch.

Keep it up as it's really looking tough like a real Panther.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Looks good so far but you're right it is a bit bright and too much contrast but the pigments should tone that down nicely.  I think I would put some over spray on the wheels  and tires or are you going to dirty the crap out of them?

Like the look of the worn bare metal on the tracks.  I'd never though of doing that but it does make sense and I see you have the Panther look with the rims of the inner road wheels scuffed all nice and shiney.

That tow hook on the glacis looks realistic, more so than just having it stuck on the side like normal, another nice touch.

Keep it up as it's really looking tough like a real Panther.

Take care,

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd,

the road wheels will get a coating of pigment and a build up of mud in some areas, all tracks traveling along a rough surface will shine up. it's not as obvious on modern tracked vehicles with rubber track pads, but you can get a nice shine around the edges once the paint is rubbed off.

8 hours ago, Carius said:

Wow looks amazing your paint job.

I like that a lot.

Thanks Carius,

it it took me a few hours and a small hunt for some panzer dark green, she's definitely coming together.

2 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Complicated camo, certainly with a "hiary stick", nice going again Ozzy.

Thanks Gremlin,

complicated but therapeutic, It was a hairy stick paint job. Although  I did think afterwards, if I could have use my airbrush to achieve the same results?

As I'm nearing the finish with this tank, she is going to be part of a dioarama. Loosely based on this band of brothers episode, delete tiger insert Panther I posted the link as I'm off to my local model shop today to look for somthing that resembles straw. Failing that it will be B&Q for a paint brush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrR_XjaGT40&sns=em

the building I have is in a thread "got a can opener babe".

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

An Interesting camo pattern....:popcorn:, cheers Ozzy :D

Thanks Francis,

yeah I have to agree, normally it's just sprayed green and brown lines on other German tanks I've done.

As I was waiting for the pigments to dry off, I decided to have a look at the house and how it will look with the Panther next to it. It also gives me an idea of the size of base it will all sit on, there is a requirement to cast a wall for the side with the Panther against it.

157116edb15f20bb0fb0ed04d29da63e_zpsiw3l

ca3c37f21cff2c1453854045c778b294_zpslq9r

• Like 1