Fouga magister 1/72 heller

On 30-1-2017 at 11:45 PM, Martian Hale said:

This is a strange definition of "not very skilled" it looks great!

Martian

well i don't mean to be overly modest, but, all i do is break down the real thing in some simple shapes i can replicate with blocks and rods of styrene and brass...i don't feel as if i'm replicating scale copies of the real item like i see some masters do here.  that said, i do like how this is comming along and i don't think i've ever done anything this detailed in any scale so yea, it's an exciting build for sure.....and as much as i like putting all this together, i'm really looking forward to putting some color on all this... but one thing at a time...

so what's up next... nothing much exciting i'm sorry to say, but yesterday i reworked the back of the cocpit tub... as there are some tubes (likely the radio wires) running from the side of the tub to the bulkhead between the cockpit and the radio compartment

The kit representation of this part, wich is split with the fuselage halves would make it difficult to add detail at this point so while i left it in place i sanded it down and added an overlay to the kit part... this should make it easier to add the wires, wich i still have to get round to, but this should make adding these details much more enjoyable... as with many things preparation can take longer than adding the actual part.

i did however add an oxygen hose the to aft sidewall, wich is simply a very thin metal wire carefully wrapped in an even finer piece of wire from a multi core electrical wire topped with a piece of albion tube and a cap made from metal tape punched out with a mechanical pencil...the later was actually a stray detail i had made for something else, but it looked enough like the cap on the real item i choose to add it when i found it...it's all a hugue improvisation... but don't tell anyone

IMG_20170202_214621.jpg

i tried to stop myself, but the book i have has a nice picture of a pannel removed between the V tail and as it turned out i could add this without compromising the strenght or attachment of the tail to much so, out came the saw.

i nocked something together, not 100% happy with it, so i might refine it some more, but it looks better in the flesh

IMG_20170202_214534.jpg

speaking of flesh... if poking yourself in the finger with a nr11 blade is a warning one might be a little to tired, slipping with a razor saw into said of said finger moments later is probably a strong sign it's a good time to call it a day

i leave you with this horror picture as a warning that this hobby can be dangerous

IMG_20170202_214819.jpg

seriously it wasn't all that bad, but still but it had been a while since i got some battle damage... so be carefull with those tools!

• Like 1

on with the show.. 

I had i bit of a test fit on friday... hellers clear parts don't really let you see much of the interior, so i will definitely be posing the canopy open... i looked at the vallom kit clear parts that dimentionally are almost exactly the same but they give you a closed and open version along with two vacformed examples, i wish other manufacturers would do that to... unfortunately while these have slightly better and more accurate detail than the heller kit, they're possibly even less clear, with the vac parts having a very fine texture on the glass and the injection molded parts being more lensey...  so we'll see what well do when we reach that stage.

IMG_20170203_155710_1.jpg

i added an oxygen hose to the front cockpit, with what i think is an audio connector taped to it

IMG_20170204_213849.jpg

and some more handles and panels to the other side

IMG_20170204_213931.jpg

That leaves the upper sidewalls and the seats... the later have some nice blue seat belts... i've been contemplating for a few days how i'd go about making the buckles for these. even considering looking for photoetch items. i tried making buckles out of flat sheet but they where to tiny to work with. so i tried something else, i sued the finest metal wire i have and made a hoop around my tweezers and than a bigger oval underneath that, and finally flattened the wire between pliers...

I guess they're still a bit oversize, but i think they won't look out of place.

incidentally i have some blue masking tape that's just the right color and the texture is right to so i will likely get away with not painting them, yet that means i cant put them on until after the seats are painted

IMG_20170204_213935.jpg

the only problem is it's a 5 point harness and there's two seats... so i have some more buckles to make

• Like 3

with the seatbelts turning out ok, i looked into the rest of the chairs... i'm eager to get them painted up so i can add the belts

i fear some of the details won't be visible when its all together, but in that case it's still good practice for future builds.

IMG_20170205_203937.jpg

IMG_20170205_203842.jpg

IMG_20170205_203831.jpg

IMG_20170205_203817.jpg

• Like 2

Since i had a day off today, i pushed on with the chair this morning... i first came in with a coat of tamiya primer from a can, wich actually was almost empty and didn't spray nice, but fortunately tamiya primer is very forgiving and it all leveled out.

next came a coat of vallejo black, follewed by various shades of brown with some orange and yellow mixed in.

once dry all details where painted, and the metal parts received some metal chips, finally i gave the seat a brown wash made from pigments floor polish and possibly some paint... the only downside to this mixture is that once the floor polish is dry you can't reactivate it, so you have to fix any unwated effects before it sets..

next came the fun bit of fixing seatbelts... they are a little overscale, probably this technique is better suited for 1/48 than 1/72, but i kind of like the look so they're on, although the 5 point harness makes for a bussy affair

the central twist lock is some metalic blue on the real plane so i took a slice of albion brass rod and jammed a shorter slice of plastic rod in there, all was painted a thin mixture of vallejo chrome and blue.

I still need to do the seatbelts of the second chair but with any luck it will turn out about the same as this...

IMG_20170206_130644.jpg

IMG_20170206_130659.jpg

IMG_20170206_130722.jpg

IMG_20170206_135103.jpg

• Like 5

Some seriously nice modelling going on here LH. I've just put my hand up for a Valom Fouga kit with Belgian decals, I've also got a Belgian thing going after visiting the Brussels Museum a couple of years ago. I can't see me going into the detail that you are but I'll surely be watching for ideas. :)

Steve.

On 6-2-2017 at 10:45 PM, stevehnz said:

Some seriously nice modelling going on here LH. I've just put my hand up for a Valom Fouga kit with Belgian decals, I've also got a Belgian thing going after visiting the Brussels Museum a couple of years ago. I can't see me going into the detail that you are but I'll surely be watching for ideas. :)

Steve.

The Brussels army museum, has to be one of my favorite museums... the building itself being almost as much a relic as the items contained therein. but i just love the sense of entering a treasure cove when going in there. 

I sometimes wonder is i'm not pushing it to far with all the detail... but i'm having fun

i did a test fit to see if everything would still go together. the seats turned out to be a hair to wide so i had to chisel a little plastic of the sidewalls...

IMG_20170208_232135_1.jpg

seems like it will go together.

and yet more detail

IMG_20170209_214742.jpg

hang in there i think we're almost ready for some paint

while most of the cockpit detail was pretty straightforward, and essentially it's all bits of wire and strips of something, the louvers on the nose (i think they're for extracting gasses when guns where fitted) are a different matter.. heller did a rather poor rendering of these, but vallom for some reason tells you to scribe them in yourself...no idea how that came about, but it looks like it's worth investing some time in the matter.

this is what i came up with so far

6c59944a-a13a-47b0-af96-c00ef482d2ae.jpg

IMG_20170208_230742_1.jpg

little custom tool

i feel there's potential in this, but i think the result isn't good enough yet...also the louvers on the real fouga are flush so, we're not quite there yet, but i guess it would be nice if i could make actual see trough louvers... as a plan b i might just Milliput over everything and sculpt the shape in... but well these are real tiny louvers, so i just need to get theme a bit tighter.

i've also boxed in the battery and oil compartment, but i'll try to push on with the cockpit and give it some paint before i do those.

Aso, while i don't think the plane would need it, i glued some small nails underneath the cockpit, it's not a huge weight, but it should discourage it from being a tail sitter. 

• Like 4

Hello LH,

This is  a very nice work that's go on here, congrats...

To me the best deco for a fouga is the one of the late and regretted Louis "Louitje" Baum.

Must be recorded in your book, if not I must have some photos.

That was a great paint scheme and a great pilot.

Keep carry on the fine job.

Thank for sharing.

Corsaircorp

Thanks for all the kind works, i find it helps to put in that extra bit of effort when i know people are watching, hehe

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello LH,

This is  a very nice work that's go on here, congrats...

To me the best deco for a fouga is the one of the late and regretted Louis "Louitje" Baum.

Must be recorded in your book, if not I must have some photos.

That was a great paint scheme and a great pilot.

Keep carry on the fine job.

Thank for sharing.

Corsaircorp

I don't know his particular plane do you have the serial? or better yet a picture? 

I don't have any decals yet, but i do have some designed myself based on pictures i took myself so everything is still possible . However i think i will keep this a simple scheme though as i don't want to distract from the details. i still have the valom fouga and there are some lovely 1/48 kits out there, so, it might not be the last one i build....

• Like 1

time to bring out the paints.... it needs a bit more color here and there and some little mistakes fixed but its looking more lively now...

i'm having some trouble getting the front seat in place wich is odd as it seemed to fit before... perhaps a gentle tap with a hammer will do..

IMG_20170210_213422.jpg

IMG_20170210_213440.jpg

IMG_20170210_213348.jpg

IMG_20170210_213446.jpg

• Like 8

Kidding me ?! Best scratched 1:72 cockpit I've seen so far ! Love the magister, one day.... But in 1:48 without as much (brilliant) scratchbuilding... 👍🏼👍🏼 thanks for sharing, Olli

Edited by ROBOT

15 hours ago, ROBOT said:

Kidding me ?! Best scratched 1:72 cockpit I've seen so far ! Love the magister, one day.... But in 1:48 without as much (brilliant) scratchbuilding... 👍🏼👍🏼 thanks for sharing, Olli

thank you, that's a very nice compliment, i suppose it's my best cockpit to this date, and one where the work will be remain easily visible for a change. I still thing it's more a matter of good references and being patient...

with the cockpit mostely done it's time to mangle some some more kit parts. again fitst of, in it's day this was a very nice kit. the trailing edges has a little flash, but they where extremely fine. While Heller even provided wheel well details, they did so by molding the wheel tub in with the lower wing. unfortulately this provides the unappealding combination of a shallow wheel well with overscale frames. so after i marked the location of the landing gear holes i took out the rasor saw and removed the tubs. fortunately the heller plastic is rather soft and the tubs came off nice and clean.

as i want to show the flaps in dropped position they needed to go as well and these where carefully cut with a knive, just scoring all lines, cutting trough the side and than sapping them off at the back.

the inside if the upper wing was beveled with a small file 

IMG_20170211_115359.jpg

IMG_20170211_124031%201.jpg

since the cockpit ate into my supply of sheet metal i'm enjoying a can of tonnic right now, i think sheet metal will be ideal to produce the thin trailing edges of the flaps and ailerons

• Like 3

i've experimenting with the flaps today.

since the flaps where cut from the wings the remaining flap tracks proved rather flimsy and some snapped off... i was contemplating replacing them anyway so i'm not to worried

On the real fouga the flaps run curved tracks, the flap is simply pushed back from the wings and folds down as it follows the track. 

I made the flaps from soda can metal and used a wire axle about halfway across the track. i'm not sure of these will remain posable as further detailing might prevent this but i guess it's kind of funny

20170212_154826-ANIMATION.gif

• Like 7

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 09:43, lunarhighway said:

Thanks for all the kind works, i find it helps to put in that extra bit of effort when i know people are watching, hehe

I don't know his particular plane do you have the serial? or better yet a picture? 

I don't have any decals yet, but i do have some designed myself based on pictures i took myself so everything is still possible . However i think i will keep this a simple scheme though as i don't want to distract from the details. i still have the valom fouga and there are some lovely 1/48 kits out there, so, it might not be the last one i build....

Hello Dears,

Before anything, I will apologise for my big mistake.

Louis Baum was presenting the Mirage V on airshow, my mistake sorry about that.

I will post the photos as soon as I put my hand on it.

Sorry again, did'nt know how I did miss the point :unsure:

I'll keep you in touch.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1