1/48 - Bell P-63A/C & E Kingcobra by Dora Wings - P-63C & (T)P-63E released - P-63A in progress - new AMG P-63C boxing

Homebee

Arsenal Model Group (AMG) is to release new tool families of 1/48th and later 1/72nd (thread is here: link) Bell P-63 Kingcobra kits.

1/48th first boxing is expected for this Summer.

To be followed.

Sources:

http://amg-models.net/2017/01/17/bell-p-63a-kingcobra/

http://amg-models.net/2017/01/17/bell-p-63c-kingcobra/

http://amg-models.net/2017/01/17/bell-p-63e-kingcobra/

http://amg-models.net/

3D renders

The Bell P-63 Kingcobra is an American fighter aircraft developed by Bell Aircraft in World War II from the Bell P-39 Airacobra in an attempt to correct that aircraft’s deficiencies. Although the P-63 was not accepted for combat use by the United States Army Air Forces, it was successfully adopted by the Soviet Air Force.[2]

The production model Bell Model 33; 1725 P-63As produced in various sub-marks.

P63_A1.jpg

P63_A2.jpg

P-63C Second production series differed from the P-63A by being powered by the uprated Allison V-1710-117 engine with a war emergency rating of 1,500 hp (1,120 kW) at sea level and 1,800 hp (1,340 kW) with water injection. The wingspan was reduced by 10 inches (250 mm). A total production run of 1,227 was completed

P63_1.jpg

P63_3.jpg

P63_4.jpg

P63_5.jpg

P63_6.jpg

P-63E Essentially similar to the P-63D with the exception of a ventral fin extension and the use of a standard “cab”-style cockpit; only 13 built.

P63_7.jpg

P63_8.jpg

P63_9.jpg

P63_10.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

Very interesting, a new P-63 and not only that a P-63D, P-63E and a two seater! I'm guessing they are doing the standard single seat P-63E also as they only show the two seater version?

Edited by Tbolt

Marvellous - here I've been toiling away on the Toko 1/72 P-63A as a practice run for the P-39/P-63 group build next year, and along comes this! Well, maybe with a bit of luck, the AMG 1/72 version will appear before August 25, 2018! :speak_cool:

John

The E version in the 3D renders are wrong, they were not trainer AC but had a single 'bubble' canopy ...

Otherwise I hope the kits are accurate as I am very interested in modern kits of this beautiful and highly capable design.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, occa said:

The E version in the 3D renders are wrong, they were not trainer AC but had a single 'bubble' canopy ...

Otherwise I hope the kits are accurate as I am very interested in modern kits of this beautiful and highly capable design.

But IIRC two E's were the two seaters pictured so I took that to mean we are getting the standard E and the two seater.

Edited by Tbolt
Grammer
  • Like 2

Eugen, if you are going to release Tucker's race aircraft, which you look like you are thinking of with that last drawing, remember that the horizontal tailplanes were cut short as well.

Now, how about the L39 while you are at it? ;)

Edited by LanceB
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LanceB said:

Eugen, if you are going to release Tucker's race aircraft, which you look like you are thinking of with that last drawing, remember that the horizontal tailplanes were cut short as well.

Now, how about the L39 while you are at it? ;)

+1 !!

Yeah and the L39 was painted navy blue, at least one of them

l-39_c_1.jpg

Here one can see the tubular structure of the later fuselage extension:

Bell_L-39.jpg

Edit:

Found a website that explains the developments of the fix of the center of gravity:

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.co.at/2011/04/sweeping-change-bell-l-39.html

Here are some photos that among other things show the second canopy on the trainer version didn't sit as high as displayed in AMD's 3D renderings:

https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2016/11/24/p-63-kingcobra-post-wwii-service/

Still time to correct errors I hope

• Like 1

P-63C Second production series differed from the P-63A by being powered by the uprated Allison V-1710-117 engine with a war emergency rating of 1,500 hp (1,120 kW) at sea level and 1,800 hp (1,340 kW) with water injection. The wingspan was reduced by 10 inches (250 mm). A total production run of 1,227 was completed...

Where have you taken this info about 10" shorter wingspan from?

AFAIK the wings of P-63A and P-63C (Bell Model 33) are identical. The longer span wings were featured only by Bell Model 37/41/43 variants (P-63D/E/F).

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KRK4m said:

P-63C Second production series differed from the P-63A by being powered by the uprated Allison V-1710-117 engine with a war emergency rating of 1,500 hp (1,120 kW) at sea level and 1,800 hp (1,340 kW) with water injection. The wingspan was reduced by 10 inches (250 mm). A total production run of 1,227 was completed...

Where have you taken this info about 10" shorter wingspan from?

AFAIK the wings of P-63A and P-63C (Bell Model 33) are identical. The longer span wings were featured only by Bell Model 37/41/43 variants (P-63D/E/F).

Cheers

Michael

If you Google it, it's copied from Wikipedia. Hopefully they only did that for speed and it's not based on what they are modelling as like you say the wingspan was the same.

Edited by Tbolt

3D model was built a long time - 6 months. Had to learn a lot of information.

The wingspan of model A and C are the same. They are very different near the fuselage.

Therefore, the upper halves of the wing, the model will be the same, bottom different.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Help me please.
Maybe someone knows what the inscription on the left wing is from below..?
My version - "NX41964"

What other options are there?
Thank you!

Best regards,

Eugen

no_name.jpg

regulus.jpgP-63-twoseater.jpgBell_P63_N41964c1950s082p63vipsml_zpsbdd

10 hours ago, dora said:

Help me please.
Maybe someone knows what the inscription on the left wing is from below..?
My version - "NX41964"

What other options are there?
Thank you!

Best regards,

Eugen

no_name.jpg

regulus.jpgP-63-twoseater.jpgBell_P63_N41964c1950s082p63vipsml_zpsbdd

I would go with the serial number, which was a common post war practice, such as on this P-51. Unless someone can come up with a better picture.

last.jpg?w=809

This P-63F has it under the left wing  (left side picture in the SS In Action book) and the ID number under the right wing, but since 964 doesn't have an ID Number the right wing was probably blank.

P-63F.NX1719.43-11719.jpg

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...