Suez stripes for a Canberra Bomber

Michael51

I would dearly like to  mark up an Airfix 1/72 Canberra bomber in yellow / black Suez stripes.

Were decals ever produced for such a machine?

I doubt my skills would extend to spray painting and masking.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Michael

• Like 1

Michael,

Just which Airfix 1/72nd Canberra kit are you using?

I don't know how much Canberra knowledge you have but, if it's the B(I).8 or PR.9, they weren't in service when Suez happened, if it's the much older B(I).6/B.20 then that would work as all of the Canberra's used at Suez had the original "goldfish bowl" type canopy.  B(I).8 and PR.9 had what is often referred to as a "fighter" style canopy.

Most of the Canberra's used at Suez were B.6's and some B.2's, I presume some PR.7's were used too but these are to the layman, a stretched B.6 (there is much more to it than that but at a top level, that's your basic difference), the earlier Airfix B(I).6/B.20 would work for the B.6 version, would require some fettling to give you a B.2, a PR.7 would require much more effort.  It's a sad reality that in 2017, we still don't have an accurate, mainstream, readily available Canberra B.2/6 in 1/72nd scale!

Some Canberra's (and I'm thinking 10 Sqn's B.2's here), had black and white stripes like the D-Day ones, an option for one of their aircraft was provided on Modeldecal sheet 26.

I don't recall ever seeing the Suez stripes in decal form on any Canberra sheet.  Take a look here to see what's currently available at Hannants, it includes the venerable but still great Modeldecal sheet 26.

Edited by Wez
clarification
  • Like 2

Wez has pretty much summed up your query.

The old Airfix B(I)6 / B.20 kit is your best bet, however needs a fair bit of work around the nose to get it looking right.

Aeroclub produced an excellent conversion set (designed for the newish 'fighter' canopy kit), which could be used as well to help improve things.  

Regarding decals - there's also the (probably impossible to obtain) DP Casper Suez Crisis decal sheet 72017 - link http://www.dpcasper.cz/obtisky72017.html

A Malta based No. 12 Squadron B.6 is included in additional to a 'wallpaper' sized sheet of yellow and black stripes!

Cheers and good luck... Dave.   

• Like 3

Thank you Dave and Wez,

Yes, it is the B(1)6 version.

The information you have both provided is very helpful and is most appreciated.

Dave, I will contact the Czech decal  supplier and see what the chances are. Wes, I have already placed an order for those Hannants Suez decals and will try and nut out the black / white stripe issues

What a helpful site this is,

Michael

• Like 2

If you use the modeldecal sheet, you will need to alter the registration, WH640 was written off a year before Suez, while serving on 104 sqn at Gutersloh. I think the registration is a mistake and should have been WH646

Edited by Blacktjet
  • Like 2

If you want it colourful, I'd recommend a 10 (I think, with the Speedbird) Sq example of a 2, in the LSlateG/MSG (?)/PRU scheme, with IIRC silver tip tanks with red speedbird and possibly red starter bullets. This is the scheme I selected for my Aeroclub 48th example that stalled some 10 years ago. Not sure about the White part of the stripes on the particular airframe I am thinking of, for which there's a colour pic in one of the two Suez issues of German mag Jet & Prop (IIRC issues 3 and 4/1996). Pic possibly available on the net somewhere, and no doubt John is already typing. He could clarify whether the 2 would have the trapezoidal reinforement Panel on the rear fuselage, I think I wasn't able to figure this from the pic :D. I built a Frog Sea Hawk for the article and Hand painted everything except the roundels and RN legend on the tail (including the 2 tiger heads). The stripes were not at all hard to do, possibly simpler than getting decals over compound surfaces. This was the second-to-last kit I managed to finish, but no, it was not due to me having to recover for 20 years from the handpainting experience.

• Like 1

The best option for an accurate (ish) but easier to build B.2 or B.6 is the Airfix B. (I)8  Aeroclub nose combo. This is a build I did with this combination 1-72-b-6-xh568-with-aeroclub-s-new-nose-conversion although as you will see I did change direction a bit as the build went on. 

John

Edited by canberra kid
added more detail
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tempestfan said:

If you want it colourful, I'd recommend a 10 (I think, with the Speedbird) Sq example of a 2, in the LSlateG/MSG (?)/PRU scheme, with IIRC silver tip tanks with red speedbird and possibly red starter bullets.

This is the scheme in Modeldecal sheet 26 but...

10 hours ago, Blacktjet said:

If you use the modeldecal sheet, you will need to alter the registration, WH640 was written off a year before Suez, while serving on 104 sqn at Gutersloh. I think the registration is a mistake and should have been WH646

...interesting, I've looked at the Modeldecal sheet instructions, they always included photos of the subjects, but in this case they state that they were unable to find any usable photos of WH640 in Suez stripes, maybe this is why? :hmmm:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blacktjet said:

Interesting

WH640%202_zpsabukakdu.jpg

John

• Like 6

12 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Interesting

WH640%202_zpsabukakdu.jpg

John

Nice find! I had always assumed that Dick Ward had probably seen a picture of WH646 with the wing tank or tailplane partially obscuring the 6 and making it look like a 0. I don't think that the photographer could have placed the camera in a better position to cause confusion if he had tried! That picture settles it for me, that airfame is 646, if you look hard enough, you can just about make out it's a 6.

Edited by Blacktjet
Samsung smartphone!
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Blacktjet said:

Nice find! I had always assumed that Dick Ward had probably seen a picture of WH646 with the wing tank or tailplane partially obscuring the 6 and making it look like a 0. I don't think that the photographer could have placed the camera in a better position to cause confusion if he had tried! That picture settles it for me, that airfame is 646, if you look hard enough, you can just about make out it's a 6.

I know, next to going over the numbers with black pen he couldn't have done a better job disguising her true identity, but as we know WH640 was sadly lost, so this must be the camera shy WH646. I've enlarged the image as much as I can just to confirm what we already know and yes, you can just make out the curves of the six. 

John  

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/21/2017 at 6:35 PM, Blacktjet said:

I now have the Modeldecal 26 sheet.

Would the 646 version  be in the colours noted on the decal guidelines? ie, light slate grey and medium sea grey over PRU blue?

I had always thought that the Suez Canberras were high speed silver.

Confirmation either way from the forum would be appreciated.

Michael

• Like 1

Michael, a number of Canberra B.2s at Suez were still wearing the Medium Sea Grey/Light Slate Grey/PRU Blue scheme while most B.2s and all B.6s carried the later overall silver. You can build a Suez machine in both schemes depending on which you like most.

Aircrafts in the earlier schemes for which I have confirmation at Suez are WH667 of 10 Sqn. and WJ572 of 27 Sqn. and of course as the picture above shows, WH646.

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Michael Enright said:

I now have the Modeldecal 26 sheet.

Would the 646 version  be in the colours noted on the decal guidelines? ie, light slate grey and medium sea grey over PRU blue?

I had always thought that the Suez Canberras were high speed silver.

Confirmation either way from the forum would be appreciated.

Michael

Yes Michael

As in the photo above Medium Sea Gray, Slate Grey, PRU Blue. One on the nicer camo schemes on the old girl.

John

• Like 2

You stated that you didn't think your skills were up to masking and painting the stripes. I've actually found that masking and painting such stripes is easier than messing with some huge decal that is not made for the model you are building and trying to get it aligned and snuggled down over detail, etc.without tearing, silvering or curling. Before you lay out lots of money for expensive decals get either a piece sheet plastic or an old model and practice this technique.

1. Paint the entire area white. Don't be afraid to go beyond the boundaries of the stripes. 

2. Paint the entire area yellow. Ditto the above.

3. Cut strips of masking tape the width of your stripes. Position the first one carefully as it set's up all the rest. 

4. Take small sections of the stripe tape and put it next to the first piece as spacers. This will keep the next piece parallel to the first. Then put down the next strip abutting the spacers. Continue until you've got enough stripes.    

5. Burnish down the edges of the tape to make sure there is a good seal.  

6. Remove the spacers.

8. Make sure any exposed surfaces that you do not want painted are covered. This can be easily done with a paper towel or some such. 

9. Paint the exposed areas black.

19. Peel off the tape and you have nice neat stripes that go over everything and fit your model perfectly. 

The only variant on this is if the first stripe is black or yellow as to how you position the tape. I'd do the stripes before any other paint and then cover them with tape to protect them as you add other colors to the model. I know it sounds involved, but it's pretty easy, looks better and is more adaptable than using decal. 

• Like 1

Thank you John for the colour confirmation and gamevender for the helpful Suez stripe advice.

As I have three more 1/72 Airfix B(1)6 Canberras in the stash, I will be spoilt for choice, that is, after the Heller Constellation, the four Hasegawa B-24 Ds and Js, the Valiant I have to finish before I get the Victor.........

Michael

not to mention the 1/72 TSR 2 that arrived the other day

Edited by Michael Enright
Alzheimer remembers
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Michael Enright said:

Thank you John for the colour confirmation and gamevender for the helpful Suez stripe advice.

As I have three more 1/72 Airfix B(1)6 Canberras in the stash, I will be spoilt for choice, that is, after the Heller Constellation, the four Hasegawa B-24 Ds and Js, the Valiant I have to finish before I get the Victor.........

Michael

not to mention the 1/72 TSR 2 that arrived the other day

No problem Michael, that little lot will keep you busey for a while 

John

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, Michael Enright said:

https://www.flickr.com/cameraroll/

Finally got those stripes done.

Best seen in this 'atmospheric' setting.

Michael

I'd love to take a look Michael but your link isn't working for me even if I sign into Flikr :(

• Like 3