P-40B US Colors

Crossiant Oliver

I'm currently building the airfix 1/48 P-40B, which is great in most areas, and I'm about to paint it and I am building the George Welch P-40. I have two paints that will be good for this scheme. Vallejo Color US Olive Drab and humbrol 155 matt olive drab. Which would be better for this plane? Leave your answers in the comments.

I'm currently building the airfix 1/48 P-40B, which is great in most areas, and I'm about to paint it and I am building the George Welch P-40. I have two paints that will be good for this scheme. Vallejo Color US Olive Drab and humbrol 155 matt olive drab. Which would be better for this plane? Leave your answers in the comments.

OD varied so much as it weathered and faded quite easily. Humbrol 155 is a good weathered OD as it's quite brown, I don't know what Model Color 889 is like but I get the impression it's a greener OD, which might be better if the airframe was newer.

OD is one of those colours that is all things to all people - I'd suggest that you just pick whatever is the closest to hand on the modelling bench and go with it. Another thing I have noticed in too many years of modelling is that over time whatever brand you use it will tend to go to a more brownish shade naturally. 

47 minutes ago, Cameron Lynch said:

Just a typical concrete apron would work.  Wheeler itself looked like any of dozens of USAAC airfields of the period.  Same style hangars.  Same style buildings.  The only difference was the horizon.

Wheeler-Field-P40-Destroyed-During-Pearl

Amelia-Earharts-Lockheed-Electra-10E-NR1

Amelia-Eartharts-Lockheed-Vega-5C-NC965Y

Thanks, but I don't know where to get it or how to build it.

One way would be to purchase a square of mat board at a craft or art supply shop. You can scribe the expansion strips in with a sharp knife and apply a little white glue in the scribing to simulate the tar strips between the joints of the concrete. Then paint and add whatever fuel/oil/rubber stains you consider appropriate for how weathered you want the ramp section. The mat boards can be purchased in many sizes, with the edges already beveled, if you don't want to buy a big piece and cut it yourself, or you can do this  with a beveling cutter that you can purchase at either of the places mentioned, If desired- they are very inexpensive. You can also glue the mat board to a wooden base if you want to get fancy, or are displaying or presenting the model as a gift. The mat boards also can be purchased in many different colors.

Mike