Coastal Command Liberators.....

mackem01

Evening boys & girls........Thanks to the very generous nature of our MikeC I find myself the proud owner of a very large B24. I am looking to finish

it as Coastal Command and to that end I was wondering if any of you could recommend any publications that would be worth getting hold of that

would give details of any mods, particularly those strange "cheek mounted" RP sponsons.

Any help would be much appreciated.......

Exactly what scale are we talking about here?  I take it from your description of a "large B-24", it's not 1/72 ... which is a bit of a pity as Pavla do a beautiful resin set with vac clear parts, that covers both the GR.V/VI as well as a set for the rocket projectiles.

Scott

• Like 1

Aviaeology did a set of decals in both 1/48 and 1/72 that included K.O.Moore's aircraft (2 U-boat kills in one night) that carried rockets. Doesn't seem to be available any longer though.

The rocket-cheeked Liberator is in my to do pile as well in the CC scheme. Such an interesting take on the B-24 and with decal/resin aftermarket support in 1/72 I had to jump on the sets when they were available. 

That all said, I am not familiar with the realm of 1/48. You could still definitely do a "normal" CC Liberator with all the decals sets available to purchase?

I'm not at home ATM, but I think there is either an osprey or squadron signal book on the CC Liberator. I will look when I can.

My base model is a 48th scale B24J (courtesy of MikeC's bargain), so it will have to be a GR Mk.V so those lovely rocket rails are out the window!

Still plenty of interesting options available though. If you could dig out that CC Liberator title and an ISBN number Modelglue, it would be greatly

appreciated.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steve in Ottawa said:

I don't think this has been mentioned, but the aircraft isn't carrying US HVAR's, but instead has British 25-lb AP RP's, right?

They don't look like the standard Brit RP to me, are the units illustrated an adaptation of the standard ones used on Typhoons, etc??

They have the 25lb armour-piercing head, rather than the 60lb High Explosive head.  Otherwise they are the same.  It was found, opposite to expectations, that the AP head was more effective against ships and the HE head against vehicles.

PS I think the original Airfix Mosquito has a representation (sort of) of these heads.  But that's a long time ago, and I wouldn't recommend them.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, mackem01 said:

My base model is a 48th scale B24J (courtesy of MikeC's bargain), so it will have to be a GR Mk.V so those lovely rocket rails are out the window!

Still plenty of interesting options available though. If you could dig out that CC Liberator title and an ISBN number Modelglue, it would be greatly

appreciated.

I found some info in Squadron's "in Action" series B-24 Liberator #1080. ISBN (10) 0-89747-190-3. There is a section on the CC plane and a small colour profile section you may find useful.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Bengt said:

As far as I know only the Chech 311 Sqn. used RPs on operation with Liberators.

Bengt

A few yeas back I did some research on this topic as I was (still am) building K.O. Moores aircraft. I found the following :-

1. 8/7/43 Squadron Leader T.M.Bulloch in GR.V BZ721 ‘R’ sank U-514. I think he was attached to 224 Sqdn while performing trials for the A&AEE.
  2. 27/9/43, 311 Sqdn. ‘G’ (BZ786), based Beaulieu, unsuccessful attack on U-boat.

3. 10/10/43, 224 Sqdn. ‘M’, based at St.Eval, unfortunately hit a Free French submarine which had wrongly surfaced in a prohibited area with two rockets. The submarine safely reached Plymouth a week later although the crew had suffered casualties.

4. 23/10/43, 224 Sqdn. ‘Z’, based St.Eval, sank U-274

5. 10/11/43, 311 Sqdn. ‘D’ (BZ774), based Beaulieu, shared in sinking U-966

6. 27/12/43, 311 Sqdn. ‘H’ (BZ796), based Beaulieu, sank the surface blockade runner Alsterufer

7. 26/6/44, 311 Sqdn. ‘O’ (BZ763?), based Predannack, sank U-971 with rockets & depth charges

• Like 3

That's true, I believe, for Mk.IIIs/Vs but there do seem to be a lot of Mk.VI/VIIIs with the Consolidated rear turret.  Unless Mackem01 is planning a lot of conversion work his B-24J kit will make one of the latter.  Allowing for the multiple nose variations as best covered in MMP's Consolidated Mess.

8 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

That's true, I believe, for Mk.IIIs/Vs but there do seem to be a lot of Mk.VI/VIIIs with the Consolidated rear turret.  Unless Mackem01 is planning a lot of conversion work his B-24J kit will make one of the latter.  Allowing for the multiple nose variations as best covered in MMP's Consolidated Mess.

That's the impression I have too, but the first photo I laid hands on was a Mk.VI with BP turret (IWM CH20692) so not straightforward. I have the Oulton book, but not to hand for a few weeks - that may give definite information on when/why the change took place.

Fortunately I have it handy: in the variant breakdown Oughton states only that some Mk.III/Vs had the BP turret but doesn't mention it on the later variants.  The first photo I found was EW214 with the US guns, but this was a B.VI.  The second was EV882, a GR.VI with the BP turret, but EW288 was a GR.VI with the US one.   There may be other photos showing aircraft in between EV288 and EW214, but the closest I've found is EV872 with the BP.  Every serial I've seen above EW214 has the US turret at the rear.  Presumably the approved number of BP turrets were fitted until they ran out - there doesn't seem to be any good reason for preferring them on the nose-turreted version, and why make work?

Presumably there was some kind of Works Order to that effect, but if so it seems that Oughton either didn't find it or simply didn't realise that there was any reason to look for one.  Perhaps it is still present in SA archives?

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, rossm said:

A few yeas back I did some research on this topic as I was (still am) building K.O. Moores aircraft. I found the following :-

1. 8/7/43 Squadron Leader T.M.Bulloch in GR.V BZ721 ‘R’ sank U-514. I think he was attached to 224 Sqdn while performing trials for the A&AEE.
  2. 27/9/43, 311 Sqdn. ‘G’ (BZ786), based Beaulieu, unsuccessful attack on U-boat.

3. 10/10/43, 224 Sqdn. ‘M’, based at St.Eval, unfortunately hit a Free French submarine which had wrongly surfaced in a prohibited area with two rockets. The submarine safely reached Plymouth a week later although the crew had suffered casualties.

4. 23/10/43, 224 Sqdn. ‘Z’, based St.Eval, sank U-274

5. 10/11/43, 311 Sqdn. ‘D’ (BZ774), based Beaulieu, shared in sinking U-966

6. 27/12/43, 311 Sqdn. ‘H’ (BZ796), based Beaulieu, sank the surface blockade runner Alsterufer

7. 26/6/44, 311 Sqdn. ‘O’ (BZ763?), based Predannack, sank U-971 with rockets & depth charges

You are absolutley right Ross. Oughtons Liberator book has 224 Squadron as operational with RPs.

Bengt

Edited by Bengt

I could never work out why 4 x .303 BP tail turrets were fitted to CC Liberators and the 2 x .50 tail turrets were removed particularly when they retained the upper Martin turret with 2 x.50's in them, was it British pig headedness insisting on the BP turret? latter Liberators had all .50 armament ,but the earlier ones had mixed , always thought this strange!  The B-17's retained all .50 but not the Lib. 

Edited by Sydhuey
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sydhuey said:

I could never work out why 4 x .303 BP tail turrets were fitted to CC Liberators and the 2 x .50 tail turrets were removed particularly when they retained the upper Martin turret with 2 x.50's in them, was it British pig headedness insisting on the BP turret? latter Liberators had all .50 armament ,but the earlier ones had mixed , always thought this strange!  The B-17's retained all .50 but not the Lib. 

Going from memory - which may be wrong so I will try to find the reference - there was an issue with directional stability when the Consolidated rear turret was rotated. Presumably not so marked, or deemed possible to live with, with the GRVI/VIII which had the nose turret so different aerodynamics.