Harrier GR MK7 Hasegawa 1/48 Afganistan Ordnance

LaurieS

Building the 1/48 Hasegawa and need guidance/confirmation that I am going to get it right.

This is after a lot of investigation I think is correct. These are the weapons I have and below

is the configuration.  THE ORIGINAL NOT CORRECT

NOTE original removed as being inaccurate. Thanks to Nick Greenall

Leader Harrier Special Interest Group  IPMS(UK) for all the information he

supplied to enable me to produce the following.

http://configuartion_zpsdotl5ru0.jpg

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

Laurie, the Harriers were in Afghanistan long enough for the precise era to matter (NB, the photos with aircraft with the [empty] gun pods fitted are GR7s, and offered for illustrative purposes)

You'd find TIALD from 2004- 2007; then Sniper (https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/uk-harriers-debut-with-sniper-pod-214386/)

The TIALD and Sniper went on the same side.

Also, the PW2 didn't go on the outermost stations; if loaded, they would carry 540lb iron bombs, or empty/empty with BOL rails.

131207-RAF.jpg

You would sometimes see PWII on the inboard pylons; these were the interim PWII adopted while awaiting the PWIV

AIR_Harrier_GR7_Kandahar_lg.jpg

And you could sometimes see only a single PGM

May-Mox-KELF.jpg

You'd also see aircraft with unguided weapons - two 540lb bombs outboard and a LAU-50002 and LAU-5003 (each containing CRV-7, the former with 6 and the latter 19); this mix was because you couldn't fire single rockets from the larger pod until an update allowed the larger pod to do the same.

May-800-NAS.6.jpg

When PWIV arrived, you'd either see all four outers with PWIV,

Harrier_GR9_with_Paveway_IV_MOD_45150678

or PWIV outermost and LAU-5003 next. 

Harrier%203.jpg

Sidewinders - not required over Afghanistan so rarely seen; I cannot for the life of me recall if they were carried at all (they were during Telic).

The TERMA pod was first test-flown on a Harrier in May 2008 and went into service shortly afterwards.

Edited by XV107
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Thanks for that advice. Seems my Paveways11 will have suddenly become Paveway 1V.

Laurie

Whoops no I have found that the PW IV were only used on the GR MK 9

Laurie

I'm looking at my 1/48th scale of ZD404/33A "Lucy" and she's fitted with a pair of tanks on P2 and P7 with Paveway III on P3 and P5 a pair of BOL rails in the sub-pylons and a TIALD on the Port fuselage sation. the remaining 2 pylons are empty has is the centreline one.

13 minutes ago, Harrierpilot said:

I'm looking at my 1/48th scale of ZD404/33A "Lucy" and she's fitted with a pair of tanks on P2 and P7 with Paveway III on P3 and P5 a pair of BOL rails in the sub-pylons and a TIALD on the Port fuselage sation. the remaining 2 pylons are empty has is the centreline one.

Are you using the notation on the graph above for Pylon numbers. 

An interesting article by the RAF. It does not mention Paveway 111.

www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/0186cc2a_1143_ec82_2ef2bffff37857da.pdf

But this above does as being used on the Mk7. But it is twice the weight of the Paveway 11.

Would this affect the weight on the amount of other ordnance on the wings no idea on that one..

Laurie

On 20/01/2017 at 0:12 AM, XV107 said:

Laurie, the Harriers were in Afghanistan long enough for the precise era to matter (NB, the photos with aircraft with the [empty] gun pods fitted are GR7s, and offered for illustrative purposes)

You'd find TIALD from 2004- 2007; then Sniper (https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/uk-harriers-debut-with-sniper-pod-214386/)

The TIALD and Sniper went on the same side.

Also, the PW2 didn't go on the outermost stations; if loaded, they would carry 540lb iron bombs, or empty/empty with BOL rails.

131207-RAF.jpg

You would sometimes see PWII on the inboard pylons; these were the interim PWII adopted while awaiting the PWIV

AIR_Harrier_GR7_Kandahar_lg.jpg

And you could sometimes see only a single PGM

May-Mox-KELF.jpg

You'd also see aircraft with unguided weapons - two 540lb bombs outboard and a LAU-50002 and LAU-5003 (each containing CRV-7, the former with 6 and the latter 19); this mix was because you couldn't fire single rockets from the larger pod until an update allowed the larger pod to do the same.

May-800-NAS.6.jpg

When PWIV arrived, you'd either see all four outers with PWIV,

Harrier_GR9_with_Paveway_IV_MOD_45150678

or PWIV outermost and LAU-5003 next. 

Harrier%203.jpg

Sidewinders - not required over Afghanistan so rarely seen; I cannot for the life of me recall if they were carried at all (they were during Telic).

The TERMA pod was first test-flown on a Harrier in May 2008 and went into service shortly afterwards.

Just to let you know. All those Paveway II (UK) (that's the correct designation, Roman numeral 2 by the way!)  seen in the above pictures, are actually  Enhanced Paveway II(UK)'s  which doesn't tie in with the tables at the top of the thread.

Selwyn

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

All those Paveway II (UK) (that's the correct designation, Roman numeral 2 by the way!) 

Selwyn

Depends on if you are using Roman or Decimal they mean the same. In speech in Roman it is ?. In Decimal it is "two".

Love pedantry.

Laurie

2 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Depends on if you are using Roman or Decimal they mean the same. In speech in Roman it is ?. In Decimal it is "two".

Love pedantry.

Laurie

2 hours ago, LaurieS said:

Love pedantry.

Laurie

Alright.  They are not Paveway Elevens! How will that do?:lalala:

Selwyn

31 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Alright.  They are not Paveway Elevens! How will that do?:lalala:

Selwyn

I studied hard and took a degree to practice pedantry

It comes easy and brings pleasure with cheeky devilry

So 11, 22, 33 you need it before you fly away

come come wot's your number super Paveway

Oh ! For sakes, no big deal, after all it's only weaponary

15 hours ago, LaurieS said:

I studied hard and took a degree to practice pedantry

It comes easy and brings pleasure with cheeky devilry

So 11, 22, 33 you need it before you fly away

come come wot's your number super Paveway

Oh ! For sakes, no big deal, after all it's only weaponary

What do you mean its only weaponry?  Without weaponry its only a sub sonic sports plane!

By the way.

Marks for your poetry:

2/10  (See me afterwards, expect detention!)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Selwyn said:

What do you mean its only weaponry?  Without weaponry its only a sub sonic sports plane!

By the way.

Marks for your poetry:

2/10  (See me afterwards, expect detention!)

Tut Selwyn. Surely Ex opere operato  "II autem X"

Laurie

1 hour ago, LaurieS said:

Tut Selwyn. Surely Ex opere operato  "II autem X"

Laurie

WOW!

I didn't know you  spoke Welsh!

Selwyn

( impressed,  but not doing the work worked, just sat with his nose in his Vulgate)

9 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

WOW!

I didn't know you  spoke Welsh!

Selwyn

( impressed,  but not doing the work worked, just sat with his nose in his Vulgate)

Bit low on my marking Selwyn. Much saddened & even worse. :yikes:  Even my wife gives higher for my cooking. :pie:

Welsh Welsh. I only go to Wales for an outside shower wearing a Mac of course.

Laurie

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 18:35, LaurieS said:

Are you using the notation on the graph above for Pylon numbers. 

An interesting article by the RAF. It does not mention Paveway 111.

www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/0186cc2a_1143_ec82_2ef2bffff37857da.pdf

But this above does as being used on the Mk7. But it is twice the weight of the Paveway 11.

Would this affect the weight on the amount of other ordnance on the wings no idea on that one..

Laurie

Harriers used Paveway III in Iraq on Op Telic, I believe a single one was carried on one side balanced with a tank on the other.

5.jpg

Dont think they were used in Afghanistan though.

Julien

14 hours ago, Julien said:

Harriers used Paveway III in Iraq on Op Telic, I believe a single one was carried on one side balanced with a tank on the other.

5.jpg

Dont think they were used in Afghanistan though.

Julien

Interesting Julian. Not an expert but I can not see a reason for using such a bomb in Afghanistan.

Even Paveway two seemed excessive. Where would you use it. The communities in Afghanistan are small.

To use either of the above in a community area would have proved, I would have thought, devastating to

the village communities.

Seems Paveway two (ii) was used but where ?

Laurie

10 minutes ago, Julien said:

I think thats the whole point @LaurieS they have been moving to things such as Small Diameter Bombs and even dropping practice bombs to limit collateral damage.

Julien

Having read Joint Force Harrier by Commander Orchard Julien it seems that the CV7 rocket was the most used.

Seemed sensible as it can be directed on a small area.

Laurie