Airfix Spitfire I new tool 1/48. 315 (Deblinski) Sqn

This is the Airfix Mk 1 Spit finished as a Mk II. The kit includes the cowling bump needed, decals are from Kagero's Polish Spitfires book. I used some Eduard PE in the cockpit & tried using Maskol to represent chipping. I'm reasonable pleased with the result but the engineering of the undercarriage is bizarre, it doesn't look quite right to me. If I do another I'll assemble the u/c legs before attaching to the wings.

Any comments, observations or criticisms welcome.

Pete

DSC05388%20-%20Copy%20800x532_zpsyphvjy9

DSC05389%20-%20Copy%20800x532_zpstusdrnf

DSC05390%20-%20Copy%20800x532_zps639vrij

DSC05391%20-%20Copy%20800x532_zpsic6n6xv

DSC05392%20-%20Copy%20800x532_zpsqlt2oex

DSC05393%20-%20Copy%20800x532_zpsaxcdobs

DSC05394%20-%20Copy%20800x532_zpsohouecl

Thanks for looking.

• Like 18

The u/c does look a bit 'toe out' in the pictures, but otherwise I think its a wonderful representation.

Out of idle curiosity, what made the u/c construction so bizarre?

FFH

• Like 1

Great looking Spitfire Pete. Yeah the u/c construction on this kit is awful. The way I dealt with them can be found in the posts below. I basically glued on the upper part early, drilled down through the legs, then cut the parts apart again but in a straight line and used wire to allow for final alignment.

Hope it is of some use for future builds.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, FatFlyHalf said:

The u/c does look a bit 'toe out' in the pictures, but otherwise I think its a wonderful representation.

Out of idle curiosity, what made the u/c construction so bizarre?

FFH

Every other Spit I've built has the u/c leg as a complete unit with a square lug which locates into the wheel well. This gives the correct alignment. Airfix have split it in two with an L shaped join, the short bit near the top. The embuggerance is there's no positive join, hence the 109esque toe out of my Spit. Other than that it goes together very nicely.

Pete

7 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Every other Spit I've built has the u/c leg as a complete unit with a square lug which locates into the wheel well. This gives the correct alignment. Airfix have split it in two with an L shaped join, the short bit near the top. The embuggerance is there's no positive join, hence the 109esque toe out of my Spit. Other than that it goes together very nicely.

Pete

Lovely looking Spit. Haven't used Maskol in years but whatever you did, you did it REALLY well! I've been putting this kit off for over a year now because of the undercarriage...gluing, drilling, cutting and pinning scares the life out of me. And I just know it'll end up in the bin. So kudos to you!

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words.

Stix, good tip. I want to do a Mk V in a Malta scheme so I'll save that one up.

Newbie, I don't use Maskol much either. Not keen on using something that smells of cat wee.

Pete

10 hours ago, Bell209 said:

I used Maskol heaps until I realised it was the cause of my canopy fogging issues - Future doesn't like it! Yours came up nicely.

I never knew that, it certainly is an education being on Britmodeller.

Thanks for the info.

Pete