1/72 Contrail Myasishchev Bison Vacuform

................converted to a fictitious "what if" Airforski One, Nato Code name "Capo" Right well I don't do "what - ifs" I think they are a bit silly but I took such a path. I understand that normally a whatiffer spins a long story to accompany their creation, so I could wax lyrical about the highly unlikely conversion, a two separate cabin layout forward and aft due to the bomb bay which was converted to a war room and suites, the fact that the VIPs loathed the aircraft because of its tail down attitude on the ground which made them feel like they were sitting in a side - saddle configured Li-2, the fact that they had to board and leave the aircraft via a belly lowered stairs ( though there was a small lift (elevator) available for the infirm and vodka smitten) I could say that the pilots loved the aircraft it was a hotrod and fondly named Babushka, but no I will not, my backstory is that I bought this kit ages ago on ebay..(I must have been up late and couldn't sleep). Over the years I pulled the large box out, opened and rapidly closed after looking inside.. I did this several times and once actually I cut out  and sanded the pieces from the sheet. I tried to sell the kit but couldn't even give it away! Anyway my missus has gone off to the UK for a month and I took the opportunity to do some hard core modelling, I blew the dust of the box and built the Bison, I just didn't want a silver VVS scheme, I wanted an attractive model and lapsed into silliness..enough backstory here she is:

From this:

31570093723_8c0a5584df_o.jpg

32083110641_e3766a9139_o.jpg

32201524595_bc1a2ba008_o.jpg

32201523895_c2ccbdaed6_o.jpg

To This:

32230742252_35a2ab3d3d_o.jpg

32341971276_8b9c4c66d4_o.jpg

32230742602_31c31ee4db_o.jpg

Decals were home made

32342530816_168ed88b04_o.jpg

31538699154_53ce56e6c6_o.jpg

• Like 19

Thank you for posting, it's a marvellous what if ,though a tad cosy inside I would suspect!  Are the copies of your decal sheet intend for sharing by those that might want to use them? If so , I think it is a great idea. That is a lovely finish you have there, thanks again. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Britman said:

Thank you for posting, it's a marvellous what if ,though a tad cosy inside I would suspect!  Are the copies of your decal sheet intend for sharing by those that might want to use them? If so , I think it is a great idea. That is a lovely finish you have there, thanks again. 

hiya Britman, yep free to use I can give you my left over decals if you want

cheers

wal

Wally, that is seriously impressive. I hadn't realised how much of an attractive aeroplane the Bison was.

You've done a magnificent job with a very old vacform kit and turned it into a model which would grace any collection. Add in the fact that you've created your own markings for it, makes it just simply an outstanding display of modelling skills.

9 minutes ago, Jessica said:

I wonder what kind of range it had, given that the passengers are sitting where the fuel tanks used to be?

details, details! :lol:

though in this role it wouldn't need to fly to the US and back again without stopping for a refuel and inflight meals upload, so half the range would be ok I am thinking

Impressive! The model looks great indeed.  However, in role of "Airforskij One or Piervyj"  the Tu-114 would be more suitable perhaps...

There is a good news  to whom who may have a Contrail Bison in stash. Some VVS Bisons were not overall silver, the bottoms were white sometimes (to reflect nuclear blast) - have a look here: 

http://jn.passieux.free.fr/html/Bison.php

http://www.walkarounds.airforce.ru/avia/rus/myasishchev/m-4/index.htm

Cheers

J-W

Thank you for the offer Wally,but I would not  know what to do with them. I thought the idea of printing your artwork on decal paper might have some merit. That was the idea I had in my first post, although the "techies " might say its not possible. Food for thought?