Acryllic wash over Klear

beetcleaner

I need to do a panel line wash and in the past my technique has been to lay down three coats of Klear, leave for 48 hours, then do an oil wash made up of artists oils watered down by thinners.

Even with the Klear coats I find that sometimes the wash works its way through the Klear to bleach the paintwork underneath when I wipe off the excess with a cotton bud.

I must stress that I am not flooding the model with the wash or using a cotton bud which is soaked in thinners for the clean up.

I have some Tamiya XF-1 flat black and was wondering if I make up a wash and thin it with water would this react with the Klear varnish which is also acryllic. I have tried making a wash with artists chalks and water but it tends to be a bit gritty and doesn't run into very fine lines.

Any advice would be very helpful

It may. The reason would be that Tamiya paints contain a solvent, as does their thinners, that could react with the Klear. 

I recommend using a water based paint, such as Humbrol or Vallejo, or even a child's water color set. I've used the latter in the past to good result; just realize any water based paint needs a very small amount of dish soap (washing up liquid) to break the surface tension of the water. 

Thankyou for your help. I actually have some Humbrol black acryllic left over from when i tried to move from airbrushing enamels to acryllics (not a success)

Ill give it a go and see how it works out. Lots of pre-made washes out there but Im saving the pennies for the new Airfix 1/48 Meteor so will try some "home brew" first!