Airfix Fairey Firefly Mk.5 1/72 risen from the ashes

JOCKNEY

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice one Pat :)

I've recently been given that kit as a present after my Sea Fury build and it's next in line for a WiP - weird eh?

It was sent to me by a very kind BMer who also has one in his 'to be finished' shelf and was looking for a KUTA... I won't name him but hopefully he'll pick this up and join in!

Any more tips before I start?

Gosh, could that be me then? :bye:

Still sat on the shelf of doom, must be 6 years-ish...

Might get it out and finish it now we've got the potential to make a small Squadron!

2017-01-07%2013.26.34.jpg

2017-01-07%2013.24.02.jpg

• Like 11

Yes! He's here, thanks Phil :)

So, soon, we could have three Airfix Fireflys going... that's bound to attract the young ladies! In my dreams, anyway...

p.s. I've ordered the Airwaves PE. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, CedB said:

Yes! He's here, thanks Phil :)

So, soon, we could have three Airfix Fireflys going... that's bound to attract the young ladies! In my dreams, anyway...

p.s. I've ordered the Airwaves PE. 

Changed days Ced, I thought you would be ordering the fresh bottle of "High Karate " or ""Blue Stratos" to attract the young ladies :winkgrin:

Welcome to the Party HP42, come on in the waters lovely :thumbsup:

cheers Pat

• Like 2

I built the Airfix one many years ago but I don't remember using (now how does this go? Fnaaar fnaaar is it?) the young ladies

I'll see if they're in what little remains of my ancient spares box and let you know

I'm sure there would be arrangements available if miracles could only happen

Oh dear deity, please send us a miracle

I rather think there's a part built Mk5 fuselage in a box in my much depleted stash...  :hmmm:

• Like 3

Thanks Pat! Brut, surely? No wait, Old Spice...

That said, and having looked at the picture again... for a while... I think they could do with a couple of cardigans. Poor things. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Pat! Brut, surely? No wait, Old Spice...

That said, and having looked at the picture again... for a while... I think they could do with a couple of cardigans. Poor things. 

The thought did cross my mind to offer these poor souls a home in the " Jockney Home for fallen women" but the current Mrs Jockney, is sharpening the steak knives so I might have to change my mind  :chair:

• Like 7

I always wondered what the Airfix Firefly looked like built up.

Very nice indeed it seems :).

I have one in a far distant stash, but the crew members must be either missing or wrong. 

I would have remembered the blonde one, she's certainly not in the box :confused: .

All the best

TT

• Like 2

Hello,Pat - I'm delighted to be onboard with this WIP I've always thought the Firefly to be a very good looking aircraft and if the quality of the build and finishing work of your 'Skyshark' is anything to go by, then I know there's a superb replica in the making.The wing-fold feature is fantastic.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Sorr

49 minutes ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Pat - I'm delighted to be onboard with this WIP I've always thought the Firefly to be a very good looking aircraft and if the quality of the build and finishing work of your 'Skyshark' is anything to go by, then I know there's a superb replica in the making.The wing-fold feature is fantastic.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

Sorry if I gave the impression I had built the Skyshark in the photo, sadly not. However there is one in the stash so hope springs eternal  :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JOCKNEY said:

Sorr

Sorry if I gave the impression I had built the Skyshark in the photo, sadly not. However there is one in the stash so hope springs eternal  :D

I still say the Firefly is a masterpiece in the making!😀👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks Paul

No pressure then eh :frantic: :pray:

None whatsoever Pat, just get on with it!

Martian the Patient

PS: You have 45 seconds starting from, now!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

You say that to all the girls ! :kissing2:

Given the numbers queuing up that's all the time I can spare for each one!

Martian the Exhausted!

• Like 2

Just now, Martian Hale said:

Given the numbers queuing up that's all the time I can spare for each one!

Martian 

You seldom mention your charity work with the fallen women in the southwest "Many are called, but few are chosen !" :P 

:cheers: Pat

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay, attempted to get another build completed in the KUTA GB, failed ! :violin:

Anyway, back to the Firefly, first coat of H90 on which frighteningly looks beige when you paint it on a blue plastic kit, I'm sure it won't look quite so bad when the H123 is applied.

IMG_3188

IMG_3189

I notice the bombs look black with 2 narrow red bands according to the picture on the box, is this correct ?

Ive been trying to mask the canopy..... :angry: Lets just say without getting a life ban from BM with language that would make a sailor blush, it hasn't gone well. I've decided to buy some narrower tape and see if that makes it any easier.

I know what's going to happen, I'm going to spend an age masking this for someone to appear afterwards and say, oh if only you had asked there is a masking set on evilBay for £1 with free postage, fits like a glove ! :rant:

cheers Pat

• Like 7

She is looking a treat pat! Always liked the firefly, maybe I should have a look for one...

just so you know the kind gift of spitfires for the robettes has not been left to rot, they will be commencing work on them this Sunday... we have had a lot on of late, and they have asked me again about them and can they do them for homework, they are both rather keen on the box option with the one black wing!

Rob

• Like 1

This is better and I think we would all like to see something of that Boeing Clipper you have lurking in the background!

Martian

For masking canopies like that you can cut strips and mask the verticals only, paint and then re-mask and paint the horizontals. The tape only has to be as wide as your biggest brush tremor, so it doesn't have to be any specific width. So you aren't messing with loads of fiddly rectangles.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

She is looking a treat pat! Always liked the firefly, maybe I should have a look for one...

just so you know the kind gift of spitfires for the robettes has not been left to rot, they will be commencing work on them this Sunday... we have had a lot on of late, and they have asked me again about them and can they do them for homework, they are both rather keen on the box option with the one black wing!

Rob

Brilliant Rob, great to hear the Robettes are still keen, I look forward to seeing them finish them, which will be my cue to look through the stash for another pressie from secret Santa  :santa:

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This is better and I think we would all like to see something of that Boeing Clipper you have lurking in the background!

Martian

Hi Martian

Yes that's my failed to finish KUTA GB victim, "Berwick" Winston Churchill's Clipper, I have lost the dome that sits on top of the fuselage so am trying to make my own. I will put the build thread on a separate thread.

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

For masking canopies like that you can cut strips and mask the verticals only, paint and then re-mask and paint the horizontals. The tape only has to be as wide as your biggest brush tremor, so it doesn't have to be any specific width. So you aren't messing with loads of fiddly rectangles.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian

Thats sounds too sensible what's  the catch ? :rolleyes:

No seriously that's a great idea, and well worth a go thanks

2 hours ago, spaddad said:

If the stripes are too daunting for you leave them off and there you have the a/c the day before the orders came through to apply them, simples.

cheers,

spad.

Thanks Spad

But hold your horses, I'm a long way away from stripes, in fact I had forgotten all about them till you mentioned it, :bristow: 

Great something else to worry about. Thanks :winkgrin:

cheers Pat

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I'm a long way away from stripes, in fact I had forgotten all about them till you mentioned it, :bristow: 

Great something else to worry about. Thanks :winkgrin:

cheers Pat

glad to be of assistance.

• Like 1