Airfix Fairey Firefly Mk.5 1/72 risen from the ashes

JOCKNEY

Recently unearthed from its hiding place, where it has been for so long, I had forgotten all about it !

Photos below, I really hope the decals work ok as the stripes will be a nightmare to do otherwise :violin:

IMG_3160

IMG_3161

IMG_3162

Update to follow soon.

cheers Pat

• Like 16

Is the reference to 1/71 a typo, or pointing out some subtle scale issues with this ancient kit.  I think the later model Firefly was one of the best looking piston-engined aircraft of all time, so you got me!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Is the reference to 1/71 a typo, or pointing out some subtle scale issues with this ancient kit.  I think the later model Firefly was one of the best looking piston-engined aircraft of all time, so you got me!

Sorry, no the reference to 1/71 scale was a typo  :doh: :sorry:and nothing to do with calling into question the proportions of this wonderful ancient kit.

No argument from me regarding looks, that and the Seafury, although for completely bonkers there is the SkyShark 

IMG_3164

But that involve my overcoming the Vacform avoidance syndrome I am still receiving counselling for :frantic: and building the Rareplanes kit I have burned deep in the stash.

Bit of confusion over Colours I was going to go for H123 Extra Dark Sea Grey over H90 Beige Green, is that correct ?

• Like 8

I believe the kit's fuselage is on the narrow side but it still looks the part IMHO. As to the stripe decals, best get the masking tape out or pick a different scheme.

Martian

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I believe the kit's fuselage is on the narrow side but it still looks the part IMHO. As to the stripe decals, best get the masking tape out or pick a different scheme.

Martian

Hi Martin

I see that positive karma motivational speaking course you went on is paying dividends :rofl:

cheers Pat

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Bit of confusion over Colours I was going to go for H123 Extra Dark Sea Grey over H90 Beige Green, is that correct ?

Extra Dark Sea Grey uppers, Sky undersides. Those two colors are likely the closest in the Humbrol line. 

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian

Undersize but probably noticeable to the likes of you and me.

The dodgy deck hook mount is a pain.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Undersize but probably noticeable to the likes of you and me.

The dodgy deck hook mount is a pain.

Yes ive noticed that, I'm actually surprised I haven't managed to loose it or break it, but there is still time !

7 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Better to go with dark sea grey as EDSG weathered like a mutha in service.

Thats sounds like bitter experience ? I will need to see what humbrol colour that is then check that I have any, I'm not a betting man but Sod's law will dictate I don't have / can't find any

Thanks Pat

• Like 1

If you're going the Dark Sea Grey route Humbrol 27 will pass for faded and weathered Extra Dark Sea Grey if you don't have any 164 in stock.

I only ever built one Airfix Firefly but loved just about every minute of it, apart from painting the canopy frames (a pet hate of mine).  Given the chance and your example I'd happily have another go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnd said:

Dark Sea Grey is Humbrol 164.

John.

Thanks John, I'll check the paint box tonight, always a voyage of discovery searching for the right one ! :hmmm:

2 hours ago, stever219 said:

If you're going the Dark Sea Grey route Humbrol 27 will pass for faded and weathered Extra Dark Sea Grey if you don't have any 164 in stock.

I only ever built one Airfix Firefly but loved just about every minute of it, apart from painting the canopy frames (a pet hate of mine).  Given the chance and your example I'd happily have another go.

Great thanks Steve, that's doubled the chances of finding the right paint !  ;)

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

It's still no too late to go for a quick wingfold before paint you know Pat...:whistle:

Tony

thanks Tony, fortunately Mrs Jockney will most likely remove the wings during housework manoeuvres which will then offer the opportunity to change the method of attachment :banghead:

cheers Pat

• Like 3

Grrr

I think somebody orta give that chap a slap

He only did one wing on his latest 'folder' you know.......

Tony behave!

I'm a fan of the later 'fast nosed' Firefly, beautiful shape

I had the pug nosed Frog version and shuddered and almost gave it away on the 'bay

99p, I ask you…

Anyway yours is looking v. good, I'm in

• Like 3

16 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Martin

I see that positive karma motivational speaking course you went on is paying dividends :rofl:

cheers Pat

That's why I get called Martian the Diplomat!

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

It's still no too late to go for a quick wingfold before paint you know Pat...:whistle:

Tony

Working of course!

Martian

(The Red Planet's ambassador to Planet Earth)

• Like 2

Nice one Pat :)

I've recently been given that kit as a present after my Sea Fury build and it's next in line for a WiP - weird eh?

It was sent to me by a very kind BMer who also has one in his 'to be finished' shelf and was looking for a KUTA... I won't name him but hopefully he'll pick this up and join in!

Any more tips before I start?

• Like 2

Watching with interest as I always fancied this kit when I was young, looks pretty good in the pictures?

I would defo go the Tamiya masking tape route with the stripes, sure there's a formula out there for widths etc. 

I'm a bit of a fan of H90 and H123 myself!

• Like 1

Nice build Pat! 

I know it's a lynching matter to go against EDSG/Sky but there is a very tasty picture on t'web of Firefly 5s (possibly 4s??) in TSS...

If you set the Airfix kit next to the Frog kit (which is a Mk1 but same basic airframe) the Airfix one looks very dainty indeed, but it looks "just right".

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

Evening all

I have made a disappointing discovery this evening that my kit has some missing parts, also it looks like I got the crew uniforms all wrong, see picture below

IMG_3169

Despite turning the box inside out these 2 are not to be found. The only good news is the aircraft colour looks the same but it's a poor consultation :weep:

cheers Pat

• Like 9
  • Haha 1