Cookies Fat Cats

rob85

Actually its one cat and a martlet, and they aren't cookies they are mine... but i did let him pick the next build so they are down to him. Nice pick Cookie.

Both will be done OOB and brush painted....apart from the white, that will be sprayed, i am not a complete t.... idiot... so first up is the academy F4F-4, looks an OK kit and will be a nice comparison to the next one, here is a pic of it in the bag.

32253805931_ce85ae8d77_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Itsy bitsy keeping her safe. next is the new airfix martlet, looks a delight of a kit, and from the builds i have seen it will be! but which do I chose stars or roundels??!! box shot for the people in a cave who have not seen it yet!

32373938795_b825a248d8_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Again itsy is poking her nose in. 

building will start tomorrow!

Wish me luck.

Rob

• Like 9

Ooh, that looks like it will be an interesting comparison - do I see a pilot figure in the Academy kit? That's unexpected :hmmm:

Not sure whether to recommend stars or roundels for the Martlet... maybe go for the stars as I expect most finished examples of this kit will use the roundels?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Cookie first impressions are they they are light years apart cookie! Can't see a fire wall in the academy kit you can just see straight up into the bare cockpit... very different story with the airfix!

Stew, that was exactly my thoughts, less stars about! Hmmm, I have a little more time before I get to the transfer stage!

Rob

• Like 1

I'm in Rob :) 

What's all this talk of stars??!!

I have a Martlet in the stash that I'd like to build as the one flown by Eric Brown while shooting down Condors...

From "Wings on my Sleeve":

Pat came in from the quarter raking the Kurier all the way as he slid into the astern position. He had just broken away to avoid colliding with her when Fletch let blast with a full deflection shot from dead abeam. Only thirty-five rounds were fired from each of his four guns, but the Kurier’s entire tail unit fell off.

Needs more research...

• Like 2

Well Ced, the airfix martlet comes with two options, one has roundels the other has the op torch stars that were painted onto aircraft to make them look American, it was to deceive the locals and forces there as they didn't like Britain after the sinking of the French fleet in an attempt to stop their ships falling into nazi hands....

HTH

Rob 

• Like 1

Oops. Showing my ignorance. Happens a lot when my lips move!

Not only that but the kit I have is a Wildcat.

I am an idiot and will keep shtum until I've looked stuff up :blush: 

Edit: Even worse I now know that Martlet was what we called the Wildcat when it came into UK service. You say tomato...

So are the Airfix kits effectively the same parts with different decals? Hmmm. I'll look it up.

Edited edit: The Martlet kit (A02074) has 'additional parts' according to the Airfix Workbench blog but doesn't say what they are. Quick web search says the Martlet had six machine guns and a different engine? Enough waffling, on with Rob's build!

Except, details here of FAA conversions.

• Like 2

there has been a lot of progress on the airfix kit... infact its all buttoned up and has its wings on! however the acadamy kit is so lacking in detail I havent even started it, I intend to get more plastic card and to scratch build a firewall, well thats the plan any way.

pic's in the morning as flickr logged me out and I am trying to get the photos uploaded, but i am too tired so will finish in the morning. the internal difference between the kits is a joke... as you will see!

Night

Rob 

• Like 2

Hello Rob, the Airfix Martlet is a lovely little kit. Looking forward to the photos. Joe 

• Like 1

right then, here is where we are at

Airfix first:

CP was painted and glued with the fire wall dry fitted, i didn't use the transfers provided in the kit as i always find them too stark and unrealistic so just stick with painting the detail provided.

31617688483_4c184594d3_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32308446881_d03c92a7b6_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and here it all is dry fitted in place

32389448196_a7866420bc_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

word of warning... do not paint the landing gear on the spruce, it makes it an absolute pain to make, I can safely say its the most complicated I have had to but together... whose idea was this? were they drunk and saw a spiders web and thought, 'yeah i could build that on a plane!'. anyway its well engineered but still a complex structure. I had Ced's advice of a micro saw ringing in ears as i tried my best to remove all the bits from the sprue unharmed, but i still broke two of them.

31586008834_c1d53c4d8b_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

it came out ok in the end i think. here it is fitted to the firewall

32051418960_7f80857b87_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

then seat belt added and all fitted in place

32308447681_e013b34652_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

after that it was wiggled around a lot to get the best fit i could in the fuselage, again tolerances were  rather tight and i could have removed the paint better. there is still a gap in the nose of the AC which will need to be dealt with!

31586008534_e6b330e6e3_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

I also got it lined up better as the tube glue dried, better then the below anyway

32429129295_3c2369f8ae_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32277971832_6caae83c6d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

due to this there is another small gap in the two piece extension to the engine.

cowl dry fitted.

31585890934_1c625d5699_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and tail plains glued in place no problem

32429127725_f8750e5e60_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

engine all glued in place, i used mr hobby iron and gave it a bit of a buffing... not that you can see in this pic

32389350476_aff6c94e80_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and then the main wings were added!

32429127005_2571cfb104_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

31585887864_401b924642_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32277970972_4abd577026_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

31617530243_3a5ddd4b12_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

this will now get a tidy up and micromech, bit of filler here and there ready for painting.

second Academy:

ooooohhh crap...

31586011654_3af18b3e9d_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

that's the sum total of the detail, other than the seat that needs adding.... a shame as external detail looks nice! I will need to do something about this

Rob

• Like 10

:wow: Great progress, Rob. This AIRFIX looks like a little great kit :thumbsup:

The Academy one looks a bit more trouble - looking forward to how you beat it into submission :popcorn:

Ciao

• Like 1

Great stuff Rob, especially the internals :)

I agree that the i/p transfers can be a bit stark but you can always tone them down with some matt varnish or wash.

Well done getting the u/c together AND level; it looks like a nightmare!

I hope you get that warped Academy sorted... glue it a section at a time and clamp?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CedB said:

Great stuff Rob, especially the internals :)

I agree that the i/p transfers can be a bit stark but you can always tone them down with some matt varnish or wash.

Well done getting the u/c together AND level; it looks like a nightmare!

I hope you get that warped Academy sorted... glue it a section at a time and clamp?

warpage i can sort, and glueing section at a time is a great plan and the ay i will go, its filling all the fresh air in between the undercarriage and the cockpit that will be the challenge!

cheers Giemme, it is a nice kit!

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

I am hoping there will be very little beating more cutting and sanding, if I have to start beatings then I may have taken it all too far :) 

Rob

not sure what happened there, giemme that's for you

Edited by rob85
  • Like 3

I was considering boycotting this as you're not building a Dauntless Rob :lol: but you're cracking on with this in such fine fashion that it warrants a Bravo if not an actual Huzzah. Most handsome!

Tony

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rob85 said:

Cheers Tony, on the bright side it is FAA!! And we know how you like them. I will build the dauntless after this, how about that?

:yahoo:My cup runneth over! 

Seriously, build whatever you'll enjoy mate and I'll be delighted to see your work regardless.:thumbsup2: Tony

• Like 1

That's good progress on the Martlet Rob B) (Ced, the Airfix kit isn't the exact same parts as the Wildcat, or rather it is, but it also contains an extra sprue with a new cowling and fuselage extension, I think)...

Good luck with the Academy kit, perhaps you should have started with that one to mitigate the disappointment :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Looks great so far Rob! I built the first "new" Wildcat and had prettty much the same issues. A dark grey wash over the internal decals makes them a lot less stark and the interior structure is indeed a tight fit! Looks like you are powering through it!

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1

Stew i think you may be right! its a rather disappointing kit when built with the airfix new tool.

Cheers Adrian, i will have to try giving them a dark wash to tone them down.

so this week has been a bit quiet as i have had a visitor, my very good child hood friend Steve cam down from Edinburgh and came baring gifts! First lot of lego for the kits, here is one of their WIP

32444852905_89ea4ef7ab_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and no my 6 year old doesn't have tattoos, but she does like transfers! they spent hours making very complicated structures that now live by their beds... very happy

next was me!

32505900125_348a58f863_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

What a guy, ordered from hannants, wondered why he was quizing me about models the other day! very excited about the kit of course but also really excited about the transfer sheet... its one i have wanted to get since the corsair GB last year and Cookie (bloody hell not that guy again! ! )sent a RN option for me to build... I may have accidentally ordered some corsairs as i would be happy to build EVERY option on the sheet... VERY HAPPY...

after all this excitment the only sensible thing was to relax with this...

32069723370_f42320de2a_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

if you haven't tried it (and have £60 spare! ) then give it a go, its a delight to drink and very moorish it turns out. anyway we spent the weekend taking the kids out and watching things like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUrhdIxTJSA

A great time had by all!

sorry there was some modelling after all this! the martlet got its sky undersides done and given a little micromesh

32353964512_34de8f45ca_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

all HU 90 thinned with warter

then some work on the uppers. I started with Tamiyas RAF Ocean Grey a a light base then used revells tank grey neat for panel lines and then thinned to darken the grey but very the tone.

32384032231_549b8a96ff_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

then one thinned wash

31662516884_dc911d0915_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and thats two

31694423233_f3a262312f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

happy with that and it looks a little lighter in real life.

then the green which is a pot i mixed for my hellcat (anyone remember that??) following the same kind of process as with the grey..

32353963732_c3f9ad30e6_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

that's still Wet BTW... i will let this cure fully then give it a really good micromesh to improve the finish and bring out the panels a bit more. hope you like it and once i have some plastic card i will start the wild cat.

Cheers

Rob

• Like 9