Piper Super CUB

Well. Its been a while since I last posted an RFI build and due to my loss of mojo etc. But here is something I started around 3- 4 months ago. It was being worked when I had the right frame of mind and they were few and far between but I persevered and here is the result.

Its the KP kit to 1/72nd. Kit decals except the reggie letters which are from Aeroclub. The tiny 'Tiger Club' logos are from the Airfix Tiger Moth 'CDC. The upper cowl red colour is the Xtracrylix Red Arrow red but is too orange for the Reds but OK for other uses.

I have depicted G-AVPT of the Tiger Club April 1972. The date is when I had a flight in the very same real aeroplane following a flight in Tiger Moth G-ACDC the same day. There is a tale to the flights but its a bit long but it was as a result of meeting with a nice man who wanted a couple of built models for himself and as payment he offered me a flight which resulted in going up in the two mentioned here.

So, on to my recent finisher:

IMG_1746_zpsliqpyxnf.jpg

IMG_1747_zpsbxfl8pjv.jpg

IMG_1748_zpsnyy3obuf.jpg

IMG_1749_zps7z7efktf.jpg

IMG_1750_zpsp0jyz1qf.jpg

IMG_1751_zpswqgi0qit.jpg

IMG_1752_zps0xchjmzi.jpg

IMG_1754_zpso3iplvcr.jpg

Here its in company with Auster 5 G-ANHR in which I made my very first flight.

IMG_1756_zps2gma3vuj.jpg

I have updated the markings on my Auster with the red cheat lines as I found a suitable pair on the decals sheet from the Super Cub kit that needed slight modifying to make a pointed end to reasonably closely match the original.

IMG_1757_zpspiroz9gf.jpg

IMG_1758_zpsdcmbxznl.jpg

And there we have it.

I now have another model of a type I have flown in my 1/72nd collection.    

PS: There are a couple anomalies to this build and one is fairly noticeable which is the tail wheel. It should be more like the Auster with a long leg thingy. But the KP kit does not do this and I could or should fix it somehow and the wing leading edge landing light is actually a piece of silver coloured sprue with a flat back and was trimmed to fit the recess 'cos I lost the clear part!

Oh, and one other thing, the very thin mid strut stays are from nail brush bristles as the kit ones looked too 'heavy'.

Tomorrow night I will post something else that was also completed some time ago following a major rebuild but only just got around to doing pics. Cheers for now.

• Like 21

If you lost the transparency, it's easy enough to replace with a bit of shrink wrap from your next new kit. Carefully cut it off the box (instead of ripping it off in a flurry of impatience), trim a piece so it's just larger than the landing light cutout, and fasten it in place with gloss clear around the perimeter. The tail wheel spring leg can be built out of a beer tin suitably butchered.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone. In answer to the question by 'aircraft kit' the Auster 5 is the AZ kit. It didn't last long in the shops as I wanted another couple but getting them is hard. I built it last spring.