Best adhesive for attaching canopies?

Mitch K

OK, I've tried the following to attach canopies:

CA (quick, strong, gap filling, fogs...)

Epoxy (strong, gap filling, horribly messy)

Solvent cement (not strong, no gap filling, slow, can fog)

Impact cement  (EvoStik, messy, strong, limited gap filling)

PVA (clean, totally safe, some gap filling, hopelessly weak)

None is totally satisfactory.

Can anyone recommend something else? Preferably strong, safe with some gap filling capability?

Amongst the glues I use are

Humbrol Clearfix.; reasonably strong, gap filling, safe, reasonably fast setting

UV resin-glue; very strong, slightly gap filling, safe afaik, very quick - 5 to 10 seconds to harden

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Amongst the glues I use are

Humbrol Clearfix.; reasonably strong, gap filling, safe, reasonably fast setting

UV resin-glue; very strong, slightly gap filling, safe afaik, very quick - 5 to 10 seconds to harden

What do you use to cure UV resin? Interested in this!

UV! :smartass:

If it's like the one I picked up from that there eBay, it's like a pen.  Glue at one end, a little coin battery-powered UV LED on the other.  It's tough stuff, and bonds well with a lot of things.  I hadn't thought of using it to attach canopies though.  If you can't shine your UV light everywhere (say a large contact patch between opaque materials), the glue cures naturally over 24 hours, which is worth bearing in mind. :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mike said:

UV! :smartass:

Using what as a UV source!!!! I'll have you know don't need scientific smart alec stuff here! I can get that at work and be paid! I'm not doing it here for free on my own time:lol::rofl:

• Like 1

I edited my original post after I'd got my initial comment in, and now it's a bit more useful :innocent:

I guess you could also use the sun, but good luck finding any in the UK til April :coolio:

• Like 1

I got a UV glue pen/light unit from a UK seller for £2.99. Cheaper from China if you can wait for it to arrive.

I don't think there's much glue in it but you don't need very much

I bought refills from China at 99p each.

The glue/resin is crystal clear so its not noticeable along the edge of a canopy and its great for making landing light lenses too.

• Like 1

I think I must have done the same thing.  The glue smells weird - can't put my finger on what it smells like, but it's familiar.  I keep it in a ziplok bag to stop it smelling up the place, and to keep his Lordship from finding the UV light interesting :rolleyes:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mitch K said:

Using what as a UV source!!!! I'll have you know don't need scientific smart alec stuff here! I can get that at work and be paid! I'm not doing it here for free on my own time:lol::rofl:

I think it's only fair to thank you for the opportunity to be a smarty-pants, as it doesn't really present itself very often at my IQ level.  It was just too easy to pluck such low hanging fruit, so I couldn't resist :)

• Like 1

I use Gators Grip:  http://www.mmodelstore.com/gg-01.aspx. Acrylic glue. 

It goes on with a paintbrush, water thins it, a cotton bud (damp) cleans it up, it's gap filling, and dries clear and very hard. Never had a canopy come off, and it doubles as small windows if used like PVA. 

• Like 1

Forgot to mention my other go-to glue.  G-S Hypo Cement.  it's a watch crystal glass, and quite good at gluing canopies.  Doesn't fog, but it will string if you keep dabbing at the adhesive with the fine applicator.  I often then fill the gap with some CA with black pigment added, then fair it in by sanding it back smooth.

• Like 1