What did my Mum really see?

HP42

Hi all,

Tuesday 17th January, about 10am Wheatcroft traffic island near Nottingham. My Mum said she saw a cockpit section on the back of a low loader. Her description of it suggested it had a large greenhouse style canopy, a front gun turret with a blister window below and painted black at the bottom and green at the top. She said the paintwork looked fresh. Sounds like a Lancaster nose section to me and that's what she said herself. Could it be 'Just Jane'? I know they're looking to get her back in the air at some point, just wondering if she's been dismantled with a view to sending parts away for refurbishment.

Can't think of anything else unless the IWM Halifax section is off to IWM Manchester..... no idea, any thoughts? Not sure who's more curious, Mum or myself! :rolleyes:

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/lancaster-update-2.htm

Thinking aloud here and partly answering own question. Looks like Just Jane is still intact as far as sections go albeit stripped. No turret and paintwork and travelling away from East Kirkby, so not her one presumes. The plot thins...

There is a Lancaster nose section on a trailer which goes to military shows It was at War and Peace last year but was going to be renovated for this season

Its from  just behind the  cockpit black paint and camo uppers  You can go in  money raised goes to charity 

I think that what your mum saw tbh 

Just now, Graham316 said:

Sou ds like a lancaster to me but if any lancaster was being cut up for restoration or anything else alike, surely someone would of posted on here about it 🤔.

Certainly a strange one at that.

That's exactly what I thought. I can't think of any nose sections lurking about aside the one in the IWM London (and a wrong colour one at Brooklands), and I'd be deeply surprised if that was on the move as it's integral to a recent showpiece display. My Mum's description was quite specific. Very odd...

Just now, Panzer Vor!!! said:

There is a Lancaster nose section on a trailer which goes to military shows It was at War and Peace last year but was going to be renovated for this season

Its from  just behind the  cockpit black paint and camo uppers  You can go in  money raised goes to charity 

I think that what your mum saw tbh 

Thanks PV, I bet that's what she saw. She said it looked very fresh in terms of paint, so perhaps it was on the way 'home'. Never knew of it's existence, would like to see it myself.

• Like 1

I agree with panzer vor. Nothing has shown on google in terms of recent news. Maybe the cockpit was passing through on its way to another show like cockpit fest or something alike. When you look there are alot of cockpits preserved for public viewing.

My friends dad has been doing up a Lancaster cockpit section for nearly 30 years. He used to take it round to shows and war & peace but it's been on display at Scampton I think for the last couple of years due to the agro of moving it about and his house got flooded out a couple of years ago. Just Google "jeremy hall lancaster bomber" for more info. I used to love climbing all over it when I was a lot younger.