Pre production English Electric Lightning

Kes

I have an Airfix 1/48 EE Lightning with F1/F1a/F2 build options, I don't often build in this scale, they take up lots of space compared to my preferred 1/72. It's been in the stash for many years waiting for me to decided on an 'interesting' aeroplane with some notable history as my subject, I now have one in mind (details later) it's preproduction and has the earlier type main wheels compared to the later service wheels, are there after market wheels in 1/48 suitable for this build?

Also, are there any other notable differences between preprod and service aircraft?

. . . Kes 

• Like 1

Yep, no cable ducts on the very early aircraft? and yes, the early wheels were in the old Airfix F1a, which is odd, as I've never seen a photo of them fitted to that particular mk?

I used the hubs from those undersized Airfix wheels on my Aeroclub P1 conversion, the build of which is in here somewhere??

..  . Kes

8 hours ago, Kes said:

So, that's a big ol' no on the 1/48 mainwheels then? 

Might have to try scratch build a pair of hubs for the extant wheels??

. . . Kes

Unfortunately not Kes, I wish there was as I would love to add a preproduction Lightning to the flight line. Some of the longer serving prototypes did get the production standard wheels, but at the same time they also started to look more like production airframe's too.

John

Edited by canberra kid
Finger trouble
  • Like 1