Mig-29 "Baaz" ; 1/72 Trumpeter

Hello folks , this is the new kit (9.12) from Trumpeter  that I have finished in the camo of a 90's Indian Air Force fighter , I didn't have a mig-29 specific decal sheet ( IAF decals are often difficult to come by and rather costly when available ) hence only used the roundels and fin flash from a -21 sheet and they are near about the correct size .  These airplanes were acquired during late eighties  and early nineties and are known as Baaz in our air force - Baaz is hindi for the bird , Hawk .  

I suspect the darker shade of grey is a tad too dark but overall I am content with how it came out , I tried to replicate the weathered appearance that I observed in photographs . The kit itself goes together really well and needs only a touch of putty around the nose .  An oversight by trumpeter is they provide only two each of R-73 and R-60 missiles ; the fighter however can be configured to shoot only one of them along with the R-27 that it carries in the inner pylons . I used the R-73's from the ICM weapon pack . The kit also provides a tow bar that I am yet to paint yellow . 

ps: I believe the black stripes on the R-27 missile are only reserved for  training rounds but I put them (decals ) on anyways as the missiles was looking rather bare . 

F4FB3846-DE33-4B29-A7A7-88DDC43B5CBE_zps

32A5AD6E-E75A-428C-92D3-394EFC6DED0F_zps

671AF321-FE62-454E-A11B-3E5AF5A18D62_zps

026C4438-94A3-40D6-8803-25E44A4B96CD_zps

87D5A1FA-4BE3-4E9C-8FEA-9F24759160CF_zps

908CE97E-1E1F-4025-9EFA-13A70C395FC0_zps

I enjoyed this build a lot and hope you enjoyed the final product :) 

• Like 21

13 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Looks good. You've mastered the art of pre shading better than I have.

Pete

Cheers :) ,  I will briefly share the way I approached it as it is somewhat different from traditional pre shading . 

For the light gray -
I sprayed down a medium shade of grey and then filled up the panels with a lighter shade . Misted over a thin mix of the light grey all over to blend it in .  

For the dark grey -
Same process , first extra dark sea grey was sprayed and  then faded with a slightly lighter shade .

This method allows for larger tolerance of error than pre shading the panel line which we often end up covering completely .  

• Like 1