Terrific work. The "May" (specially in 1/72 scale) is a big plane, I am thinking about how much weight you should have used in the front part of the kit. Your model is fantastic, and I liked very much the propellers and hubs. I have a vac-formed kit of the IL-38 (1/72 too), I even got inspired to begin to build it...

Edited by Convair
  • Like 1

Hi, first sorry for all the late responses, I have very busy days... rather embarrassingly I seem to not be able to find any in progress pics at all, must be on the other hard drive, I’ll have to look

Well let me say that Ken, It was YOUR build on your site that inspired me to make this kit, before that I hadn’t known about these kits and after seeing yours I had to have one. I apologize for putting you on a pedestal but you greatly influenced me in my modeling and I am glad to finally “meet” you so to speak!

I did have some of the same front end alignment issues you had but reading your in progress I expected them and took some measures when I find my pictures I can post them, I did take some plastic off of one side and add it to the other like you described.

1. 9 hours ago, Flankerman said:
    1. See - you can make great models from Amodel kits - it just needs a bit of effort.
    3. Nicely done galaxygirl - great build and finish - and welcome to Britmodeller.
    5. Did you do anything with the cockpit glazing ?? - Mine was sloping down on one side - I had to build up the opposite side to get it straight......
    7. il-38_40.jpg
    11. If galaxygirl doesn't - my build / WIP is here.
    13. Ken

1 hour ago, Convair said:

Terrific work. The "May" (specially in 1/72 scale) is a big plane, I am thinking about how much weight you should have used in the front part of the kit. Your model is fantastic, and I liked very much the propellers and hubs. I have a vac-formed kit of the IL-38 (1/72 too), I even got inspired to begin to build it...

If I ever find the pictures I can show you but basically I used a 35mm film canister of lead shot in the fiberglass section of the nose, the kit is quite heavy now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pigsty said:

How ever did you keep it from tail-sitting?  Anything that shape is a pain, but the May with the relocated wing is a particular problem and the fibreglass fuselage doesn't help.

Lots of lead shot!!!

As others have said before me, it's a great way to make an introduction with a very rare subject. Is this the Russian equivalent of the P-3 Orion except bigger?

Hope to see more of your work on here soon

Si

Edited by Madhatter

8 hours ago, Madhatter said:

Is this the Russian equivalent of the P-3 Orion except bigger?

Yes, but it's really not that much larger. The IL-38 is 40 metres long with a 37 metre wingspan. The P-3 is 35 metres long with a 30 metre wingspan.

20 hours ago, Jessica said:

My Il-18, for comparison purposes:

il_-18_14.jpg

That is awesome, I've never seen anyone make any other IL-18 series also, I'll have to order one of these.  love the retro Aeroflot paint!

some of the few in progress shots I had, I didn't take many. there a few more on my mobile phone I'll have to load them up on the site.

the TON of nose weight

dsc02925_orig.jpg

dsc02924_orig.jpg

dsc02926_orig.jpg

dsc02922_orig.jpg

Edited by galaxygirl
  • Like 7

23 hours ago, Jessica said:

You had far fewer fit problems with the engine nacelles than I did!

For the most part the fit was not to bad, hours of parts prep and dry fitting but it all worked out, the part I should have improved is the landing gear, I would attempt to make them from brass rod next time so my wheels are straight.

• Like 1

They are both great builds. I am in awe. I had an AModel IL-20 at one point but the size was an issue for me so I sold it. I love the IL-18/20/22/38 series and remember seeing them everywhere in the 1970s (the IL-18s, of course), although I remember the Indian Mays at Dabolim (Goa), flying and parked, as well as in the opening flypasts at the Yelahanka show. Sadly nowadays they are more keen to show off their "airliner"-P-8s :(.

Martin

• Like 1