Vergeltungswaffe No1

On June 13th 1944 the first of over 9000 V1 "Doodlebug,s were launched against London and the distinctive noise of their engine's would be

heard for a number of months before their launch sites were destroyed or overan.I bought the Tamiya kit on a whim just for something quick

and simple,it's a breeze to build and took thirty minutes including the trolley not everyone's cup of tea I suppose but fit's nicely into my upcoming

Luftwaffe builds.Thanks for looking in.

DSCN4463_zpszm9wb8rr.jpg

DSCN4465_zpsjwvn3qmz.jpg

DSCN4466_zpsk7ii8cis.jpg

DSCN4467_zpswysfw0tm.jpg

DSCN4469_zpsrwvdxmyd.jpg

DSCN4471_zpsk50talhd.jpg

DSCN4472_zpsuydpqzbj.jpg

• Like 20

Nice job - I decided to build one myself with a bit of help from JohnT, until I got bogged down in the detail, and it stalled. :rolleyes: From what I can remember of my machinations there's no "perfect" kit of the V1, but I will get back to it one day.  Every home should have one :)

• Like 1

Yes, it's a nice stress free build & you've done a great job with it.

Our ATC Sqn popped in to a V1 site in France on a battlefield tour. I did a talk about them using the kit as an example  & some unknown Herbert broke the prop off. :angry: It's sat on my screen at work now pointing at the boss's desk.

Pete

• Like 1

Hello,Steve - Wishing you "All The Best" for the New Year. A fine and interesting start with this 'Doodlebug'.Finished with your customary expertise,it will indeed form a relevant and interesting addition to your Luftwaffe topics.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2017 at 22:23, stevej60 said:

On June 13th 1944 the first of over 9000 V1 "Doodlebug,s were launched against London and the distinctive noise of their engine's would be

heard for a number of months before their launch sites were destroyed or overan.I bought the Tamiya kit on a whim just for something quick

and simple,it's a breeze to build and took thirty minutes including the trolley not everyone's cup of tea I suppose but fit's nicely into my upcoming

Luftwaffe builds.Thanks for looking in.

DSCN4469_zpsrwvdxmyd.jpg

Neat build Steve, but not one of Tamiya's finest moments, something really wrong with  the engine and especially the mountings

V1rampe.jpg

19 hours ago, Mike said:

Nice job - I decided to build one myself with a bit of help from JohnT, until I got bogged down in the detail, and it stalled. :rolleyes:From what I can remember of my machinations there's no "perfect" kit of the V1, but I will get back to it one day.  Every home should have one :)

I knew I'd seen a review describing the problems better

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/axis/luft/v1.htm

After publishing the preview and stating how nice and accurate the kit was, I got several e-mails, some of them rather vituperative about how 'screwed up' the kit was.  Well, it looked good to me, but in all fairness, I figured I'd better check it out, something I rarely do to a kit.

v1c.jpgThere are a number of references on the V-1, the best one being 'V Weapons of the Third Reich'. This is one of the Monogram Publications tomes that have come to be highly respected references when it comes to thoroughness of research. I took the fuselage of the kit and placed it upon a three-view of the V-1 in the book. Lo and behold there are some rather obvious differences.

If you'll take a look at the image to the right, you'll see that there are several areas of concern. The Tamiya kit's fuselage center section is tapered when it appears it should be cylindrical. This makes the forward pylon too long. The engine itself is too cylindrical at the front and too small in diameter, further exacerbating the problem. It also appears that the fin and rudder are too tall. Fixing these would be way too much trouble for just about anyone. These areas of difference can be discerned from photographs as well.

Now in all truth, most modelers, myself included, would not see the difference if they were not pointed out. However if you are looking for the most accurate V-1, look elsewhere as this kit isn't it.

Just as an additional bit of information, there are several varieties of V-1, depending on the warhead or the size of it. Some had very different shaped noses which is a clue to the warhead type. The kit portrays the most common type and is designated as type A-1. Therefore, the correct designation of this particular variant is the V-1A-1.

I think Mike is  right about all the kits  having problems,  I thought the MPM kit was better, 

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2001/november/first-looks/mpm_fi103.htm

but this  looks a bit off  too.  The other 1/48th examples were...

The AMT Meteor Mk.I from the 70's had a V-1 as a bonus (the kit as recently been reissued),  and Hawk/Testors in the 60's did a double pack of the V-1 and Japanese 'baka' suicide bomb

Again, I don't think these were all the great shapewise either.....

Hope of interest, I mention the above as others have expressed interest in the subject.

Kit  issues aside, that has come out really well Steve.

Cheers

T

• Like 3

Smart little build and finish Steve , I built the Bronco one a while back , even in 1/35 it looks fine on its trolley parked among my

Luftwaffe types in1/32nd . Like you I always wanted one , remembering seeing three or four of the blighters pass over Wakefield

the night before Christmas , 1944 .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Don149 said:

Smart little build and finish Steve , I built the Bronco one a while back , even in 1/35 it looks fine on its trolley parked among my

Luftwaffe types in1/32nd . Like you I always wanted one , remembering seeing three or four of the blighters pass over Wakefield

the night before Christmas , 1944 .

Many thank's,they would have been air launched from He 111's out over the North sea,a large raid was carried out on Manchester and

surrounding towns on Christmas Eve 1944.

• Like 1

It's an interesting subject to build and to keep in a collection, and really something that needs building if your into late war RAF fighters etc. Great build, and what sinister things they were. 

Interesting to hear about the Northern raids as well.

• Like 1

That's right Steve , my dad was an air raid warden (Put that light out ! ), and they only got short warning they were coming . We heard one cut out and impact

between here and Huddersfield , came down in open country , killed two cows ! .We knew they were on a westerly heading but never knew what their target

was , because of news blackout at that time. Thanks for the info..

• Like 1