Brushes, some advice

PhantomBigStu

Having been modelling for a while, and completed many many models with the ol hairy stick, I realaised I actually have no clue when it comes to hairy sticks and indeed only once have specifically brought new brushes, making do with a mix of the humbrol ones from the gift/starter sets, and the revell ones that come with their gift sets (which I consider the best brushes, using them for camouflage and varnishes). However I found myself buying less and less revell gift sets (and often building more and more at the same time), so generally mine are reaching the end of their lifespans long before I replace them through that route. I did try a brush pack from revell during the summer, though I've found them not as nice as the gift set brushes and indeed they haven't lasted as long. So any advice would be most welcome where I could try for new brushes. 

I use Tamiya brushes not cheap but last ages keep their shape and dont  shred bristles 

Wide for  large areas and pointed for  detail work ,make 1/35 scale tanks all brush painted never had a problem 

Real modellers brush paint  -airbrushes are for sissys  :whistle:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

I use Tamiya brushes not cheap but last ages keep their shape and dont  shred bristles 

Wide for  large areas and pointed for  detail work ,make 1/35 scale tanks all brush painted never had a problem 

interesting, never used a flat brush before, I shall check the tamiyas out,, should have figured they'd be ones to check out...

I must admit that I have never used a Humbrol, Revell or Tamiya brush. All my brushes are artist quality. A mixture of pure sable, sable/synthetic mix and fully synthetic from Winsor and Newton, Pro arte and Rowney.

I can heartily recommend a chap called abcbrushes  on fleabay. He only sells pro arte factory seconds and they are very cheap compared to what you will pay in an art store but, at the same time they are perfectly good brushes which have been rejected by quality control at Pro Arte because they have blemishes in the finish of the handle, misprint on the brush handle or other minor faults but every brush I have bought, and I bought forty of his tiny detail brushes alone as I can go through them in days or hours being relegated as soon as the tips of the hairs splay or develop a bend, are of first class when it comes to the business end.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Beardie said:

I must admit that I have never used a Humbrol, Revell or Tamiya brush. All my brushes are artist quality. A mixture of pure sable, sable/synthetic mix and fully synthetic from Winsor and Newton, Pro arte and Rowney.

I can heartily recommend a chap called abcbrushes  on fleabay. He only sells pro arte factory seconds and they are very cheap compared to what you will pay in an art store but, at the same time they are perfectly good brushes which have been rejected by quality control at Pro Arte because they have blemishes in the finish of the handle, misprint on the brush handle or other minor faults but every brush I have bought, and I bought forty of his tiny detail brushes alone as I can go through them in days or hours being relegated as soon as the tips of the hairs splay or develop a bend, are of first class when it comes to the business end.

I agree ive had brushes off him , really good quality use the pointed ones for detail painting price is very competitive  

On 16/01/2017 at 7:51 PM, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Sissy eh :( I feel violated Dave .. let's see some of your work :D

• Like 2

On 16/01/2017 at 8:17 PM, cruiserguy said:

Hi PBS

You could try the Pro-Arte series too. You'll get them at good art shops or Hobbycraft, and they are reasonably priced.

Best Wishes,

Will..

Had a look at them in the shop today, no prices listed so Id better look up online, mixed bag, some of them looked just as meh as the revell ones I brought in the summer, though admit the flat ones looked good, never used one before.

Hi PBS

The Pro-Arte flats are good, I am less keen on some of the others as they bristles tend to splay a bit after using them for a while, particularly the finer brushes such as 0, 00 and finer. I'd use sable brushes if I could, but I have read that acrylics damage them, and it's best to use synthetics instead. I've used several ranges of synthetics and Pro-Arte is the best I have found so far.

Best Wishes,

Will.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cruiserguy said:

Hi PBS

The Pro-Arte flats are good, I am less keen on some of the others as they bristles tend to splay a bit after using them for a while, particularly the finer brushes such as 0, 00 and finer. I'd use sable brushes if I could, but I have read that acrylics damage them, and it's best to use synthetics instead. I've used several ranges of synthetics and Pro-Arte is the best I have found so far.

Best Wishes,

Will.

just seen the price list, ouch, will pick up one or two to try hope they are as good and last a while

Hi PBS, as I said previously I can highly recommend ABCBrushes on ebay. All the brushes are Pro Arte and are in perfect working order as far as the 'business end' is concerned at a fraction of what they would cost in an art shop. My last batch of 15 or 20 assorted included a Pro Arte Renaissance sable flat (a top line expensive brush) and several sable rounds. If you totted up the list prices these brushes would cost at least three times as much in an Art store.

Another vote for the Tamiya brushes from me - HG Modelling range. Mine brush well with no brush marks and they clean easily too.

That said I've bookmarked Beardie's link for later!

One thing I should add about brushes splaying. This can be as a result of failure to 'prime' your brush before painting. It is important to thoroughly dampen the brush before dipping in the paint with water if using acrylics, thinners if using enamels so that you don't get paint drying in amongst the bristles which will force them apart, that and thorough cleaning after use will greatly reduce splaying. I was given this advice by a brush maker and it has improved the life of my brushes quite a bit.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Beardie said:

One thing I should add about brushes splaying. This can be as a result of failure to 'prime' your brush before painting. It is important to thoroughly dampen the brush before dipping in the paint with water if using acrylics, thinners if using enamels so that you don't get paint drying in amongst the bristles which will force them apart, that and thorough cleaning after use will greatly reduce splaying. I was given this advice by a brush maker and it has improved the life of my brushes quite a bit.

13 minutes ago, Beardie said:

That makes a sense, but I found in the past, espically with some paints, if the brush isn't dry, the paint doesn't dry evenly, instead streaking/pooling in places

I don't mean that the brush should be sopping wet but that it should be thoroughly dampened (dab off excess on some kitchen paper) just before picking up paint as, otherwise the hairs in the middle of the brush will absorb the water or solvent from the paint and the pigment will cake on the inner hairs. Watch out for, and dab off, any fluid on the ferrule of the brush as well.

7 minutes ago, Beardie said:

I don't mean that the brush should be sopping wet but that it should be thoroughly dampened (dab off excess on some kitchen paper) just before picking up paint as, otherwise the hairs in the middle of the brush will absorb the water or solvent from the paint and the pigment will cake on the inner hairs. Watch out for, and dab off, any fluid on the ferrule of the brush as well.

I see, actually saying that, a lot of the time my brushes probably aren't bone dry, as I do exactly what you suggest when I finish using a brush, and often it gets used again within minutes. Will make sure I don't use any brushes that are bone dry, probably why the revell ones didn't last so long, used them a lot over our very hot late summer. Thanks Beardie :)

Good topic. How about sable or snythetic? I suppose sable is in general the better choice (but more expensive) and sythetic is only advisable for acylics? Or what do you think/use?

Half of my Revell sable brushes did not last long as well - but some keep up quite well. I have no idea why as I treat them all with the same  respect. Or lack of...

Sable can be a bit of an ambiguous title for a brush. They can be squirrel and various other types of hair as well. A good sable brush taken care of should last a long time but a good sable can be very expensive. Synthetics don't hold their point quite as well as they don't have the natural shape of a real hair which gives the characterisic 'belly' and fine point of a sable brush  and the fibres, not being absorbent, won't hold as much fluid. Cleaning synthetics is a little more tricky when using enamels as the normal white spirit or turps substitute let alone acetone or cellulose thinners can ruin the synthetic fibres quite quickly and the manufacturers recommend a purer, less volatile 'low odor' type thinner.

If you are looking for very fine detail brushes I would recommend these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172417951099?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=471250523044&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  in size 20/0. at £3.99 plus £0.79 postage that's less than £1 per brush. They last well and I don't feel too bad when they bite the dust at those prices.I bought 20 of the 20/0 and 20 of the 10/0 for all my fine detail needs for the next year :D