Sola Airshow, Norway. Has anyone been and has any advice?

JeffreyK

Hi,

it's been announced that Norway's newly restored CF-104D will be at the Sola/Stavanger Airshow this June and I'm really itching to go there.

Has anyone been to the show and has done it as a weekend trip with flights and hotel? I'm thinking about arriving Friday and leaving again either Saturday or Sunday, staying in a hotel near/next to the airport.

Can everything be reached on foot? If leaving Sunday afternoon, could I still watch some of Sunday's show, either from the showground itself, or from the hotel or airport terminal?

How does this work anyway with having an airshow at a "live" airport with passenger arrivals and departures?

I've already heard that entry is very expensive plus of course flights and hotel, but I've never seen a 104 at an airshow and this could well be a one-off chance for me. Is the show good otherwise, compared to current UK shows?

Cheers

Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey. I've never been to the airshow, but know Sola and Stavanger quite well. There are hotels close to the airport, but there's not a lot to do at Sola otherwise. Stavanger though is lovely but a taxi is the equivalent of around £40 each way. Still, if you want to make a weekend of it, I think you'd find the place very pleasant. I've stayed in most of the hotels in Stavanger itself and my favourite is the Clarion at Skagen Brygge by the water front - it's nice, but the location is brilliant. The Radisson Blues are both good and not too far a walk from the best areas of Stavanger. If you like steak, then next door is an excellent steak house called Bullock (but be prepared to pay 780NOK for a 300g Indrefillet (but it's gorgeous)) and there are many very Norwegian laid back bars with big outdoor seating areas under infrared heaters - the Norwegians will sit outside under furry blankets on a cold, wet, December night - but there's something good about that IMO.

I've never had a bad visit to Stavanger actually, so I'd recommend you make a little trip of it and see the Starfighter whilst there. :)

• Like 1

Many thanks! Not sure yet whether it will be a show-only visit or a day in Stavanger on top, kind of depends whether or not my wife wants to come as well.

At the moment I'm primarily looking at the best options for show-only.

Cheers

Jeffrey

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...