Awakening an old robot - C&C welcome

EDIT: Not sure why the picture are enormous (at least on my Mac) - sorry about that, the imgur album is here if thats easier: http://imgur.com/a/JF7H9, although I've just looked at this post on an iPad and its perfect... If someone could tell me how to get it to look good on a mac (safari) and what it looks like on a PC that'd be grand, likewise if imgur is a bad choice please let me know.

It's my second model and I'm reasonably pleased with the result but I'm looking to improve and would welcome comment/criticism/feedback.

I don't know anything about Gundam but I got this awesome robot model as a gift. I couldn't quite believe in him as 1/144 scale, 30m high robot so I rescalled him (via the road markings on the base) to a 1/20, 4m high robot, which felt more 'real' to me. I really wanted to try to create that sci-fi trope of something powerful being powered up for the first time in thousands of years...

I learned heaps on this build about masking, paint and weathering. The paint work is my first effort with an airbrush and 'salt weathering' - I doubt I'll do it again (at least this extensively) as it's messy and hard to control. The 'steel' parts were hand painted (before I got the airbrush) and I rather like them. Spraying Vallejo Model Air was easy and I liked the result, spraying Tamiya acrylics was a pain in the bottom and I'll probably try to avoid that in the future.

Overall he is I think a shade too bright and I should have done 'something' to dull the overall look - maybe next time I'll try a dark filter rather than the ochre one I applied here.

Cheers.

Btn9Ql9.jpg

B9lYsks.png

I don't mind the effect but I don't know how the LHS of the vents ended up looking like that

Qv7GbnO.jpg

Qv7GbnO.jpg

I painted him 'azur' blue as I loved the colour and thought it'd contrast nicely with the rust. When I came to do the feet I mixed a darker shade, just to break things up and realised that the whole model would have been better in this colour... Ah well, next time...

NQubjxl.png

There was a backpack thing I didn't care for so I weathered the attachment points as exhausts instead.

svKDn8K.jpg

The vent surrounds were done in a different colour and then chipped - I rather like the effect here.

KVdjgVQ.png

9FG5kKz.jpg

Cheapy base - it serves the purpose but I need to do a bit more experimenting to get it to look like tarmac.

Dx0n3Lq.jpg

z2MVyE3.jpg

Edited by BrotherMole
added detail re pictures
  • Like 16

Brother, I like that. A lot.

The paint looks good to me, I didn't even notice the feet

were a different shade until I read your comment.

Nice chip and rust effect too.

If you want the just awakened effect may I suggest a bit of

vegetation/moss on the body?

The base looks good too.

Oh, and the pics are a good size on my laptop.

How about a picture with something to show the size, like a tin of paint?

To add scale how about a 1/48th figure?

Keep them coming!

Pete

• Like 2

That's cool, I like the teal colour and it goes very well with rust. The metals looks great as well.

It's one of the odder Gundam designs - it's supposed to be an amphibious suit so the heavily-weathered look fits it to a tee :) 

Will

• Like 2

Nice job.

I like the blotchy rust patches which appear very convincing. I wonder if more rust staining and streaking might improve the realism still further?

Pete's vegetation/moss idea has merit.

Very inspirational.

Cheers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vanoyen said:

Very nice! How'd you do your metal effect on the arms? Looks great... Those claws look terrifying!

Thanks.

All the metal parts were hand painted. Base coast in Tamiya 'dark iron', then dry brushed in Tamiya 'gunmetal' and finally finished off with a dry brush of tamiya 'flat aluminium'. The claws were done in the same way but finished with a sprayed on covering of Tamiya clear yellow. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2017 at 1:53 AM, oldmodeler said:

Wow, deep envy at your technique,  the rust looks, like, well... rust!  superb.

Thanks. I spent hours painting the base 'rust' just realise that the majority of it doesn't show after chipping... Ah well.

On 08/02/2017 at 6:05 AM, HOUSTON said:

unusual but still very skilfully recreated.

AWESOME. :like:

:yes::penguin:

You're very kind - thanks.

• Like 1