I have had this kit in the stash for quite a while I got this kit a number of years ago, part started. ARC are having a Star Trek Universe GB so this is being built for that. I have always like the lines of the Excelsior class starship, not a fan of the Enterprise - B though with that bulge they put on it all for the sake of being able to blow parts of it off for filming in 'Generations'.

It's the AMT 1/1000 USS Excelsior NCC-2000

Onto some build pictures.

It started with a kit...!

Excelsior_01_zpsw7l5e3mm.jpg

Some assembly

Excelsior_04_zpsvpfzsv7f.jpg

Excelsior_02_zpsntovhbvs.jpg

Excelsior_05_zpsdudvkxis.jpg

Some initial paint before buttoning up

Excelsior_06_zpswevylkwf.jpg

Excelsior_07_zpssfrxb8sc.jpg

Excelsior_08_zpshfkelvol.jpg

Excelsior_14_zpseyfgqekl.jpg

and then lots of masking

Excelsior_18_zpszemuvpbc.jpg

Excelsior_20_zpszm80n5tk.jpg

and some paint

Excelsior_23_zpsyv5pfish.jpg

Excelsior_24_zps80xuoses.jpg

and some more masking

Excelsior_26_zpsvhmwzkkw.jpg

Excelsior_29_zpsohotc7do.jpg

and paint

Excelsior_27_zpsrgshuwfq.jpg

and masking

Excelsior_28_zpsucyrkzbt.jpg

and then it all came off

Excelsior_30_zpscmmkxnnt.jpg

Excelsior_31_zps00os8ae6.jpg

Excelsior_32_zpshgn3bkny.jpg

Excelsior_33_zps4hstmsma.jpg

I think I spent 5-6 hours just masking so far which is the majority of the build time.

Next more masking... usually I dread it but the is a sense of satisfaction with this as is there have been relatively few stuff ups so far ( well just the one where I used too dark a shade of blue on the primary hull and had to re-mask and paint it).

To be continued...

• Like 9

Im not a trek fan but I appreciate some time consuming masking when I see it

It looks really tidy Ray! I think this is the first Sci-Fi subject I've seen you make. Hope to see more ;)

Si

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Madhatter said:

Im not a trek fan but I appreciate some time consuming masking when I see it

It looks really tidy Ray! I think this is the first Sci-Fi subject I've seen you make. Hope to see more ;)

Si

I have a couple of stalled starship builds in the Planetia Canberria shipyards Si. I found them look for decals for this one :D. They are both masking monsters like this one.

I also build a few of these kits in my day.... original issue AMT Millenium Falcon, X-Wing and Tie Fighter and original issue Reimaged NCC-1701.

Hope to get a couple of BSG kits in the stash built as well

• Like 1

Some more masking and few stuff ups to fix after these shot were taken.

Excelsior_34_zpsoqfwavl4.jpg

Excelsior_35_zpsu8yxlxau.jpg

Excelsior_36_zpsjpwfylck.jpg

Excelsior preparing to leave space dock fro shake down cruise (I still need to add the decals, paint the stand and some annoying touch ups).

Excelsior_37_zpswszpitut.jpg

Excelsior_38_zps029zpkta.jpg

Excelsior_39_zpsnjwuts5p.jpg

Excelsior_40_zpswc4vvvqi.jpg

Excelsior_41_zpseglx3hhq.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Started decalling, this is the start of an aftermarket Alps printed Aztec pattern sheet from the stash. Not as comprehensive as the sheets available today as it only covers the saucer section (the sheet is dated 2000 from PCModeller.com).

The sheet is made up of alternating wedge-shaped sections, 2 designs for the top and 2 for the bottom.  Lots of cutting and test fitting before dunking in water

Excelsior_43_zpsitban0bi.jpg

and the first pattern on top done...

Excelsior_44_zpsoy5c2xaa.jpg

• Like 3

If it weren't for either exhaustive masking, or comprehensive lighting, these sci-fi ship builds would be finished very quickly given the limited number of parts to clean up and assemble. Good to hear you're enjoying the masking side of things.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stu_davros said:

Looking good so far,  are the aztec decals the ones produced by Acreation models?

Cheers,

Stuart

No Stuart, it is a much older sheet from PCModeller.com, very basic compared to the Acreation sheet.

• 2 weeks later...

The saucer section decalling complete, I applied 35 different decal parts tot eh top of the saucer and 22 to the bottom. Each had to be individually cut out. Liberal amounts of setting solution applied.

1000_Excelsior_102_zpsvvl9t1jv.jpg

1000_Excelsior_103_zpse15iozc2.jpg

Now to apply the kit supplied decals and seal it all.

Also had to make repairs, warp nacelles had separated and needed reattaching.

1000_Excelsior_105_zpsm0yndwf9.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah, something not right about the Ent-B to my eye, though if I do find one for a nice price I could be talked into acquiring it.

The kit supplied decals are on (well the ones I did not destroy in the process).

Excelsior_106_zpssaqhl2r0.jpg

Excelsior_107_zpshbhhj2jc.jpg

Excelsior_108_zpss6mj9nwt.jpg

With an older fleet member

Excelsior_109_zpsthj1ppzx.jpg

Excelsior_111_zpsybfskhwp.jpg

Just need to bed the latest decals down with MicroSol and hit it with a sealing coat. Most likely won't happen this weekend as it is due to hit 40 Degrees plus here

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Most likely won't happen this weekend as it is due to hit 40 Degrees plus here

Hi Ray, nice work on the Excelsior. I remember airbrushing a Hasegawa P40 in a tin garage in Oxley on a day like that. The Gunze paint flowed really smoothly but I gave up when sweat started dripping on the paintwork from the end of my nose. There's hot and there's Canberra in a heatwave.

Cheers, Jeff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Mike said:

Cool build. :) This is the Excelsior that gets nobbled by Scotty in the original Motion Picture as it tries to catch the refitted Enterprise, isn't it? :hmmm:

It is Mike, well in fact is the one that Hirako Sulu Captains in Undiscovered Country after the "trans warp' experiments failed.