Focke-Wulf Fw190A-8 - Learning Paint and Weathering Techniques

Lomcevak

Hello! 

After finishing my third model as part of the P-51 Mustang Group Build (link), I have decided to take some "risk" by taking one of the kits on my stash and try a few things I've been researching during a few months on the web and youtube related to painting and weathering techniques. I know that there are many other ways of finishing a model, but the ones I'm interested on are the following:

- Priming

- pre shading

- post shading

- chipping

- oil washes

- pastels

The victim for this little project is a Focke-Wulf Fw190A-8 from Airfix in 1/72. Nice kit so far, not the best fit to say the least but it will serve the purpose.

The paints I'll be using are only Tamiya acrylics, and I'm fully aware of the need of mixing these to approach to the RLM colors, but that would exceed the purpose of what I'm trying to do here. So I will only use the closest colors to my references, but I'm not trying to achieve any historical accuracy on this one. The primer is Tamiya grey and the silver for the chipping will be AS12 decanted and airbrushed. Clear coats will be future, X22 and XF86. For the chipping I plan to use liquid mask from Microscale products. 

Please feel free to correct me or suggest other ways and alternatives to do things at any moment. My intention posting this here is to have the chance to keep learning and I'm willing to know your opinions and ideas. 

So here are some shots of the process so far:

Dry fit test and cockpit parts ready for painting:

IMG_0006_zps5r5e1piq.jpg

cockpit painted

IMG_0002_zps6yydtrn9.jpg

After first coat of primer

IMG_0013_zpstphmz9xe.jpg

IMG_0017_zpsgltap1ec.jpg

IMG_0014_zpsa7c34jfz.jpg

So there she is so far, I'll update as soon as I have some progress.

Thank you,

Jorge

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lomcevak said:

The primer is Tamiya grey and the silver for the chipping will be AS12 decanted and airbrushed. Clear coats will be future, X22 and XF86.

If you're going to chip down to the metallic layer, you might consider something a little less bright than AS-12. In a small scale the chips will perhaps stand out a little too much. Maybe something like Metallic Grey (XF-56) or the AS equivalent?

regards,

Jason

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JasonC said:

If you're going to chip down to the metallic layer, you might consider something a little less bright than AS-12. In a small scale the chips will perhaps stand out a little too much. Maybe something like Metallic Grey (XF-56) or the AS equivalent?

regards,

Jason

Thank you Jason! I'll take your idea, actually I already have the XF-56 bottle.