Tamiya 1:12 Honda VFR 750R (RC30)

FZ6

Tamiya 1:12 Honda VFR750R (RC30)

For my first bike build I am going to build Tamiya's Iconic 1:12 Honda VFR 750R (RC30).Released in 1987 in Japan by Honda's Racing arm and going on to win the 1988 World Superbikes Championship, the Honda (RC30) was sold in limited numbers and coupled with the fact it was raced and popular with riders means that today original bikes in good condition are rare and highly collectable. Sadly I can't afford a real one but fortunately Tamiya make a lovely little kit.

38236081481_331658e2f9_b.jpg

Tamiya 1:12 Honda VFR 750R by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

This is my first attempt at making a bike in this scale and presents new challenges to the usual aircraft I build. My first task was to assemble a jig to hold the bike as I wanted a way of holding the bike while I painted it and added detail. The stand is made from brass square tubing and is adjustable for different bikes as I have since purchased more kits. The Jig is designed to connect the swing arm and the head-stock. I may make a few tweaks as construction progresses

38236081071_895e53e156_b.jpg

Once the frame was assembled I realised that the frame was it was box like and not hollow like the kit portrays it. I decided to fill it with Milliput and sand it flush with the rear of the frame. I wish I had done this before assembling the frame as it would have been much easier. It was hard work but looks a lot better once cleaned up.  I then attached the frame to the jig. The swing arm pin and a piece of wire insulation hold the frame in

place.

38180957676_664d4b9b51_b.jpg

38180959206_f34cfa64e3_b.jpgTamiya 1:12 Honda VFR 750R by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

A missing cross member I spotted in photos of the real bike was added using plastic rod with green stuff being used to represent the weld seams. The frame is now ready for cleaning up and a coat of primer.

38236080591_8e22e2c3f0_b.jpg

While I had the filler out I assembled the rear fairing and the engine and applied filler to spots where required. I also boxed in the underside of the battery tray for extra realism.

38236079891_a5637504c0_b.jpg

38180958646_384e23a310_b.jpg

The kit is older than some of the more recent Tamiya kits and the inside of forks and the swing are are hollowed our (probably to reduce the chances of sinkmarks) so more filler is required and plenty of it!

38236079041_9afc8600fd_b.jpg

38236078601_d3b2ba296c_b.jpg

The exhaust can fit as one piece which will save trying to glue pipes once painted so I can get them cleaned up now.

38236079521_a32e165d2c_b.jpg

The final shot shows how easy it is to test fit items like the rear fairing.

38180958176_7b00943921_b.jpg

I hope people find this of interest and if anyone has any hints or tips I am all ears as this is my first bike build

Thanks for looking,

Mark

Edited by FZ6
Photos moved from photobucket
  • Like 2

Very nice jig you've built!! When someone spends a good bit of time making a detailed support structure for their model, it only follows that the build will be just as detailed and well-executed.  Looking forward to the work!!!

Darin

16 hours ago, Dr. Fiat said:

Very nice jig you've built!! When someone spends a good bit of time making a detailed support structure for their model, it only follows that the build will be just as detailed and well-executed.  Looking forward to the work!!!

Darin

Thanks Darin,

I hope I live up to your expectation. The jig should be usable for future bikes as well.

11 hours ago, Mpfiend said:

Nice Progress Mark,

I'm watching with interest, I really like the frame you have produced, will this design hold the larger 1/6 models?

Best Regards

Keith

Keith,

I'm sure if the design was scaled up it would hold a 1:6 Bike. You could reinforce the joints for extra strength if necessary. I'm thinking of desoldering the stand the headstock is attached to and having it at a similar angle to the forks so there is less chance of it fouling the fairing.

10 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

Nice start. I'm watching with interest. Take care when painting the dark blue on the seat unit and get the line perfect, otherwise it shows through the red of the decal..

Thanks for the advice Steve, I'll bear that in mind when it comes to painting.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 1

Just a quick update but no photos. Ive primed the  frame and some of the components and have a bit of further cleaning up and ghost seam lines to get rid of before I progress further.

I've found a gold mine for anyone wishing to super detail one of these.

Here is a parts breakdown.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/moto-honda-identification-VFR750RJ-10295.html

One thing I'm considering is adding some detail to the upper side of the rear fairing as the tool kit is stowed there but it's only worth adding if I intend to remove the rear fairing.

Do other bike modellers remove the fairings occasionally or do they stay on once the model is complete?

Regards,

Mark