Special Hobby Focke-Wulf Fw58 Weihe 'Kurierkette Lapland'

Finally finished this one after lots of hassles with paint lifting after masking, and with the "dry transfer" (CraftComputerPaper) decals for the unit emblem - never again. Painted with Vallejo 897 Bronze Green (with touch of 021 Black Green) for the RLM70, Mr Hobby H73 RAF Dark Green (plus touch of H31 White Green) for the RLM 71, and Aeromaster French Light Blue Gray (with some over spray of Mr Hobby H67 RLM65) for the RLM65. All very good matches for the chips in Merrick etc. Fantasy Printshop Luftwaffe codes for 1R+YH.

A decent kit although the undercarriage is a difficult part - I strengthened some elements with bits of wire into drilled holes.

P1000398edit_zpsu3cugk2o.jpg

P1000391edit_zpslq1nsexe.jpg

P1000390_zpsod7ttago.jpg

P1000384_zpslzyvllqj.jpg

The last photo shows the colours too bright and contrasting - the actual model shows the 'correct' low contrast between the RLM70 and RLM71.

Cheers,

GrahamB

• Like 15

Very nice indeed! I've always liked the Weihe for its interesting mix of advanced features (low wing monoplane, enclosed cockpit, retractable landing gear) and not so-advanced features (extensive fabric-covering, partly strut-braced wing, strut-braced tail planes). I have the armed Romanian reconnaissance version of this kit, that I'm working on. Nice to see how well the kit can turn out. I've done quite a bit of work on mine, and my impression is that it's a rather nice kit of a relatively little-known subject.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks guys.

The Weihe is a good subject, with a lot of last-minute things to add, with all the struts, antennae, lamp, generator etc. I added some small support struts to the main tailplane items - not included in the kit. Cutting out the windows and fitting the kit's parts was tricky - I added the side passenger door from 5-thou card.

It is a surprisingly large aircraft - it is longer and has a broader wingspan than a Dornier 17!

I've another in the stash and have the OWL conversion to a Fw58 night-attack/harrasment version.

Cheers

GrahamB

Edited by GrahamB