While watching Rogue One I was looking at all the shiny vehicles that could be modelled (I'm sure I am not alone with this thought). When the AT-ST appeared all I could think of was the thread in the Sci-Fi discussion section called "Star Wars AT-ST camouflage schemes" by Gekko_1.  I don't know a whole lot about camouflage schemes in the real world but I wanted to do one in an urban setting so I hit google hard. While I was researching I started the model build. There are dozens of WIP for Bandai AT-ST's written by much more accomplished modellers so I won't bore you with the build. Before finishing the actual build I decided that I wanted to paint the cockpit, I know its not going to be seen again but I still wanted to do it and I need as much experience as possible.

Interior%201%20Medium_zpslepjx4gv.jpg

Interior%202%20Medium_zpsnlzrgy3a.jpg

Interior%203%20Medium_zpstuwxsn3p.jpg

Interior%204%20Medium_zps6b3dhucg.jpg

Interior%205%20Medium_zpsmeo2notw.jpg

Interior%206%20Medium_zps4ilhfwkh.jpg

• Like 7

I found a Russian night urban camo that I liked the look of, I took the image into paint.net (nothing but the best for me ;-p) separated the colours and simplified the design somewhat. I then used my Silhouette SD cutter/plotter to cut some masks. After priming it I chose 3 grey colours that looked right and began airbrushing each in sequence. To be honest I was surprised by how much I liked the outcome -

1%20Medium_zpsb73mtsgf.jpg

2%20Medium_zpsjzg39ycf.jpg

3%20Medium_zpswhlh34lx.jpg

4%20Medium_zps7tg0epyf.jpg

5%20Medium_zpsjtils5lo.jpg

What do you think? What can I do now? What about going over and detailing things like the hoses? How would I begin to weather it?

C&C's most welcome

Thanks for any and all help

MD

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

I really REALLY like that paint job! It really suits it. You should consider selling these masks - they work very well

Great stuff!

In regards to weathering, AndyRM101 would be the guy to take reference from. He outlines a lot of his techniques in his WIP threads and are well worth taking the time to read. I can only speak for myself, but I have learnt a lot about weathering from them.

I personally would pick out the hoses etc and use a wash but it depends on how much you want this worn. If you want it beat to hell and back, maybe you should have done some chipping etc using a metallic undercoat etc but a sponge piece may well do.

• Like 1

I really don't like real world camouflage on Star Wars designs, but this kinda works.  I think it's because you stayed in grays and didn't get too far fetched.  As far as details go, the weapons need some sort of coloring.  Maybe add weathering or pick out the barrels?

I would go with madhatter advice and have a look at  AndyRM101 work but if it was me I would add some chipping and other weather to give it a bit of a used look. Maybe use one or two of the Tamiyi weathering sets ( SET C and D are great) and set about the guns, cables and hydroponic parts, then the base needs to change to have more of an urban feel.

Or you could leave it as is, because it looks awesome. 

Thanks guys, Madhatter you are right about AndyRM101 his work is amazing. I have read so much of his work, maybe one day if I really apply myself I may be one tenth the modeller he is :D I want to learn more about weathering and the best way to learn is to do, or so I have been told ;) Wish me luck and I will post what I am able to

MD

• Like 2

I really do like that.

I'd start with some thinned Tamiya smoke

on the main body & go down from there.

The feet & lower legs would of course be

the dirtiest/most worn. Think of/look at the

underside of big trucks for your cues.

Urban is not the same as swamps or jungles.

• Like 1

The camo looks great. Really suits the AT-ST. I agree with Pete regarding the weathering. For an urban camo you want urban weathering, so dust and grime rather than mud.

The AT-ST is the Bandai kit that seems to be most susceptible to problems with enamels/oils, so it's probably a good idea to stick with acrylics for the weathering. I'd probably start with a dirty grey/brown tone, thin it and use it as a shading wash around the details. If you've got any acrylic drying retarder, that would help to stop the paint from leaving tide marks.

Andy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As I don't want this little fella to crack and explode on me I went the acrylic route and got some of Vallejo's model wash. This is all very new to me as I've never really done any weathering before, except with some ultimate clay wash. So I got  a couple different greys, oiled earth for dirtying up the gubbins and the panzer grey wash as its a very grey model.

AT%20ST%20Weathering%20attempt%201%20Med

It doesn't look great. My goggle-fu didn't find any tutorials for weathering grey camo so I just me chucking a couple of the colours down, but what am I doing wrong?

Any and all help is gratefully received

MD

• Like 6

No, I like that. It's about the right amount.

Again, rain/pollution drips down the side of trucks

will give you your cue. This is not a fast vehicle so

streaks will be vertical on the 'head' unit.

Lower down the legs etc are at angles to the horizontal

and that will change so the streaks may be all over.

You could possibly add oil drips from the gun swivel

but I would keep them to the minimum.

• Like 2

I think what you have looks pretty good, but it does appear that the acrylic wash may be drying before you've finished working the streaks, leaving a few tidemarks here & there (using a retarder will help enormously with this as Andy suggests).....These can usually be sorted out/tidied up with a coarse ink eraser.  :nerd:

I'd normally suggest exactly the same technique you are currently using but with oils rather than acrylics.....But the issues with the plastic sound like they might rule that out.  :confused:

• Like 2

Love the look of this dude. A cracking first effort too. 

I have one which I plan something similar too. If your up for making some more masks, I'd be interested. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76

I've often wondered why AT-STs are usually modelled in monochromatic grey given that comparable armoured vehicles on our backward little planet are almost always camouflaged.

Great job on the camouflage. I really should prioritise getting one of those vinyl cutters, beats the hell out of trying to conventionally mask anything like this.

As for weathering, I am no expert, but I have read plenty of stuff written by experts. I'd suggest googling "tank weathering". You could go to town on this: washes, rain streaks, oil streaks, fuel discharges, blast powdering, heat stained weaponry, dust accumulations, grime streaks, the list goes on and on. There's plenty of detail there that tells its own little story.

The problem is that most of the materiels normally used to achieve that weathering have a good probability of causing the plastic of this kit to become brittle and crack/break.....Doing it without oils is trickier, but I'm confident it should still be possible.  :coolio:

• Like 1

Just in case you haven't seen it, I've started this kit too and have been using a mix of acrylic and solvent based weathering products.

Cheers

Richard.