Duxford 1975

Britman

12 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Duxford 75, I was there, the Brittania flew in on its last ever flight.

My first Duxford was 1982 when the Trident made its last-ever landing.  Some while later in the display there was a call on the PA system for "the man with the keys for the Trident [to] bring them to Air Traffic so it can be towed to the apron." I still sometimes wonder what he was up to.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, stever219 said:

My first Duxford was 1982 when the Trident made its last-ever landing.  Some while later in the display there was a call on the PA system for "the man with the keys for the Trident [to] bring them to Air Traffic so it can be towed to the apron." I still sometimes wonder what he was up to.

Quality

19 hours ago, goggsy said:

They are indeed interesting, thanks for posting them. Were they all in flying condition at the time? I recognise several of them from the current static displays.

The CF-100 and the Javelin were probably flyable, they were both flown in not long before the 75 show. The Javelin had been retired from Boscombe, and O H-B flew the Clunk from Canada. It was never put on the civil register. The Varsity was grounded a few years later after another one crashed going to an airshow. It was later damaged in a storm, and was sold on and moved to Newquay, I think.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, oggy4624 said:

WOW!

Compare that with the garbage that passes for a duxford show these days.

Spitfires, Hawker Fury, Nimrods, Hurricanes, Gladiator, Blenheim..... total garbage eh?.....

Edited by Julien
no swearing even in abbreviations pls.
  • Like 5

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 1:16 AM, oggy4624 said:

If they can be bothered to fly any of them

Please expand I don't understand what you mean, "they" (who is this they?) 100% always fly at the airshows where they are on the schedule, there's never a case of just not bothering too? You do the hard work and commitment of the Duxford based flying organisations a disservice.

• Like 2

On 20/01/2017 at 11:15 PM, oggy4624 said:

Since the 80's and I have seen DUX go right down the U benf with very little effort

You must be living in some alternate universe (it's bend btw too not benf). Who would have dreamt of seeing 4 yes FOUR Mk1 Spitfires in the 80's? But we see them now, Mk1 Blenheim, the Hawker biplanes, F22, B727 etc etc etc. With the flying partners there (TFC, OFMC, ARCo etc) there is a huge variety of warbirds to see, how on earth can you say it's gone round the bend? And it's rude to say there is very little effort, a lot of people put in a huge amount of time and effort to organise the shows.

Edited by Agent K
  • Like 6

And two Gladiators, P-40B, often 2 B-17s etc etc.  Have to agree with the majority here that Duxford always puts on a great show.  I was privileged to be there for the BoB 75th and the end-of-show Balbo sent shivers down my spine - the greatest gathering of Hurricanes and Spitfires since the Battle.  Sadly, since moving to the States, I don't get chance to go any more - bit of a long commute compared to the 45 mins it used to be when we lived in Cambs.  :(  But at least there's the Military Aviation Museum a couple of hours away in Virginia Beach. :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gary West said:

He lights the blue touch paper, deletes his posts and legs it.................. classy!

Yep, I'd suggest any argument he had (very poorly presented though it was) he has comprehensively lost...........

• Like 2

On 16 January 2017 at 9:25 AM, stever219 said:

I was trying to remember what YEAR that happened!  I remember the incident well.  It was one of the few occasions my the G/F came to an airshow.  She's my wife now , and has been for over 30 years.

i still get a pang when I visit Duxford and see the Trident.

Ho hum

• Like 1

On 1/23/2017 at 2:56 PM, mhaselden said:

And two Gladiators, P-40B, often 2 B-17s etc etc.  Have to agree with the majority here that Duxford always puts on a great show.  I was privileged to be there for the BoB 75th and the end-of-show Balbo sent shivers down my spine - the greatest gathering of Hurricanes and Spitfires since the Battle.  Sadly, since moving to the States, I don't get chance to go any more - bit of a long commute compared to the 45 mins it used to be when we lived in Cambs.  :(  But at least there's the Military Aviation Museum a couple of hours away in Virginia Beach. :)

Hey, I made the trek to the BoB 75th, and I live even further away than Virginia Beach! ...Maybe we can carpool next time.