Ugleee-nosed Junglie Merlin HC.3A - 846 Sqn

The photos on this slightly dull January day are a little disappointing and have shown up a few minor issues that need to be resolved (winter modelling in artificial light never quite works for me), but my first full build of 2017 is effectively finished!

This is the Italeri 1/72 AW-101 (the James Bond Issue), updated to become one of the Royal Navy's ex-Danish Junglie Merlins.  The additional bits and bobs, including the spectacularly ugly nose, are all home made from sprue and Milliput, and some of the decals are inkjet printed; 

wp99ddfe19_05_06.jpg

wp22326b02_05_06.jpg

wpfdadfd11_05_06.jpg

I'll do a full write-up of the build on my website once I sort out the piccies and get some better daylight, but I'm very pleased with the way this has turned out so couldn't resist posting some early pictures now.

wp2db4c595_05_06.jpg

wp8af72102_05_06.jpg

wp60352828_05_06.jpg

wpefd96d56_05_06.jpg

There is a seagoing (blades folded) HC.3i on the stocks as my next build, plus another HM.1 (I built one a few years ago) to follow, plus goodness knows how many others in the stash just singing out - looks like it might be a Merlin year in prospect.   FLY NAVY!!!

FredT :)

Edited by gengriz
Re-inserting lost pictures
  • Like 37

Still trying to get some pictures in better light, but in the meantime I have managed a few with my ASW Merlin and my Cormorant:

wpf8e05729_05_06.jpg

FredT

Edited by gengriz
still cant get picture postin right first time!
  • Like 8

On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 4:09 PM, Ragtag said:

The noses were like that when they came from the Danes as I understand it, the HC.4s completed so far still seem to have the original nose.

So far only mk3 have been converted the mk3a will follow.The 4a will be closer to the mk4 and the radar will be removed

• Like 1

On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 10:59 AM, gengriz said:

The photos on this slightly dull January day are a little disappointing and have shown up a few minor issues that need to be resolved (winter modelling in artificial light never quite works for me), but my first full build of 2017 is effectively finished!

DSC_0544_zps7yyfcako.jpg

This is the Italeri 1/72 AW-101 (the James Bond Issue), updated to become one of the Royal Navy's ex-Danish Junglie Merlins.  The additional bits and bobs, including the spectacularly ugly nose, are all home made from sprue and Milliput, and some of the decals are inkjet printed; 

DSC_0534_zpsvulllmhw.jpg

DSC_0528_zpsqlgsc5hd.jpg

I'll do a full write-up of the build on my website once I sort out the piccies and get some better daylight, but I'm very pleased with the way this has turned out so couldn't resist posting some early pictures now.

DSC_0525_zpsotwziv2y.jpg

DSC_0522_zpsarqruzhu.jpg

DSC_0521_zpsrc1pkmuy.jpg

There is a seagoing (blades folded) HC.3i on the stocks as my next build, plus another HM.1 (I built one a few years ago) to follow, plus goodness knows how many others in the stash just singing out - looks like it might be a Merlin year in prospect.   FLY NAVY!!!

FredT :)

Just for your SA ......they are Merlin I mk3 or at least that is what CHF call them .....I for interim

Edited by junglierating
imk3 not 3a
  • Like 1