1/72 Amodel Tupolev Tu-134

zebra

I tend to alternate between doing something a little challenging and making more straightforward models. So following the Be-12 I started the AMK 1/48 L-29 Delfin, which is a very nice kit and seems unlikely to pose any great challenges. But then I felt the Tu-134 calling me...

So I've started the Amodel 1/72 Tu-134. It certainly isn't going to be straightforward. It might turn out to be a fairly long-term thing - there are group builds that I want to join so I'll probably end up putting this on the back burner from time to time. 

Anyway, this is what you get in the box - despite Amodel's reputation, the plastic is quite nice but definitely short run. The surface detail is quite nice (compared with the Amodel 1/144 Tu-104 I built last year - the panel lines on that were very obviously done by hand, the panel lines on this are more subtle and the lines are straight), you get a small PE fret and a resin nose for the radar nose version (which I'm not going to use), and a decal sheet for one aircraft, in this case the later CSA scheme, which I also don't plan to use. Here's the box shot (note how much spare space there was in the box!):

Amodel 1/72 Tu-134

One thing you notice straight away is that the fuselage is in six pieces where many manufacturers would use two. This is clearly a limitation of Amodel's manufacturing equipment - hence the small sprues in the large box. 

Amodel 1/72 Tu-134

There's a bit of flash, but not a lot. I think this is going to build up into an impressive model, but it's going to take a bit of planning and careful thought. Slow and steady wins the race.

Getting the fuselage aligned properly will be key here. The instructions would have you build it in three sub-assemblies and shunt the three together. That seems likely to cause problems. Much more likely to get good alignment by putting together each fuselage half first, so that's what I've done. I butt joined the parts and started by just gluing them together where they joined, gluing a bit at a time so as to allow myself time to get them properly aligned, then once I was happy with it I reinforced the joins with strips of sprue on the inside. This seems to have worked pretty well - ok I needed to fill some gaps with superglue, but having tested with primer and done some touch-ups I'm pretty happy with the result so far:

Amodel 1/72 Tu-134

As you can see, it's going to be quite big.

I'm not a total glutton for punishment, so I'm going to use all the aftermarket I can find for it (which isn't much). I've ordered wheels from Armoury, a set of masks, and Neomega's resin engine detail set.

I'm also going to have a go at printing my own decals. Current front runner for the colour scheme is the Kazakhstan Ministry of Emergency Situations, whose Tu-134 seems to still be flying (or at least was fairly recently - I've seen a photo from 2014). There's a nice photo of it here: https://www.planespotters.net/photo/468565/up-t3407-kazaviaspas-tupolev-tu-134a

• Like 17

Great, I'll be following this one as I've got a couple stored somewhere. It's a nice kit. The first boxing I bought was the original "blue bird" Aeroflot colours. When I get the time (and space) I'd love to have a go at it.

Edit: I've just checked the Neomega aftermarket parts because by sheer coincidence, I received a set of Amigo resin engine details yesterday, which is similar to the Neomega set. If you'd like I could post a picture but it's your thread and I don't want to hijack it unnecessarily. 

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1

Hello, Zebra

I have one still in the box but will follow your work with interest. If exotic, yet homemade decals friendly (white overall) subjects is what you are after, there is hardly lack of suitable schemes. Still, my personal choice for a day I will muster courage to start building this kit would be YU-AZH, classic silver/NMF belly, multi colour cheatline and white top Tupolev from Aviogenex. This Tu-134 unfortunately ended her days in heavy landing on Krk Island some forty-five or so years ago. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Edit: I've just checked the Neomega aftermarket parts because by sheer coincidence, I received a set of Amigo resin engine details yesterday, which is similar to the Neomega set. If you'd like I could post a picture but it's your thread and I don't want to hijack it unnecessarily.

Please post them - I won't think it's a hijack at all - would be interested in seeing them. I've not heard of Amigo before, where did you get them?

13 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Still, my personal choice for a day I will muster courage to start building this kit would be YU-AZH, classic silver/NMF belly, multi colour cheatline and white top Tupolev from Aviogenex.

I thought about Aviogenex - used to see them regularly at Manchester many years ago - but was attracted to the Kazakhstan scheme largely because the aircraft are actually still flying (or were recently) - there's something a bit anachronistic about it, and that appeals to me. I'm also quite taken with the orange and blue cheat line.

Quick update tonight - not had much time but got half an hour in (I don't get much time during the week). I was keen to see how well the nose and windscreen transparencies fit - if I'm going to have to do some fettling on the fuselage to get them to fit, I want to get it done sooner rather than later - so taped the fuselage together and dry fitted the transparencies. The fit is pretty good - might need a bit of blending in, but not bad at all.

Also started on the cockpit. I'm not going to add any detail in here - not much will be visible once it's closed up. It's not finely detailed, but not too bad. I'll post photos when I've got a bit more done.

Nice! Looking forward to see how you tackle the Amodel idiosyncracies for these larger kits Z

I am working on an AN-26 in 1/72 at the moment, the parts breakdown of these kits is unique I must say, 14 pieces to get the rear fuselage and tail plain looking the part on my build!

:popcorn:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrojanThunder said:

I am working on an AN-26 in 1/72 at the moment, the parts breakdown of these kits is unique I must say, 14 pieces to get the rear fuselage and tail plain looking the part on my build!

Are you doing a WIP for the An-26? I'd love to see it. I have the An-30 and An-24T in the stash.

In case you are printing decals, it would be YU-AHZ and not 'AZH.

Are you doing a WIP for the An-26? I'd love to see it. I have the An-30 and An-24T in the stash.

I'm interested in an AN-32 as I have one saved for a rainy day ;)

M

• Like 1

I started this kit last year, I assembled the fuselage the way you are going to do it, it does take some doing plenty of sanding and milliput I also put some braces inside to strengthen the parts together, the only disappointment for me was the cockpit looks a bit tricky to fit so I might scratch build it, but was stopped me was one of the wings was a bit warped, so its been put back in its box waiting for another day

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kev67 said:

cockpit looks a bit tricky to fit so I might scratch build it, but was stopped me was one of the wings was a bit warped,

I like the idea of the cockpit  - the assembly for the navigator's position in particular looks good - but the whole thing looks like it'll be tricky to squeeze in. On the downside, photos I've seen show a flight engineer's position behind the pilots' seats which isn't replicated in the kit, which has a bulkhead with the faint outline of a closed door in that position - if I was detailing the cockpit, the flight engineer's position would have to be added. As it is, I'm quite happy the flight engineer's position isn't there as it's a good spot to put the nose weight.

Speaking of nose weight, there's no indication of whether it's needed or how much. I find it hard to believe it wouldn't be a tail sitter, with that big t-tail and rear-mounted engines. Better safe than sorry, so I'm going to add some. But how much? I'm thinking about 50g should do it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hi, Zebra

I understand you completely, airliners still earning their keep have their appeal. I remember seeing Aviogenex Tu-134s on Brnik occasionally, just as you said, many years ago. They were later supplemented by two B727s and eventually replaced by B737s. Ringway must have been quite important point of departure for charter flights to Adriatic, at least judging by many photos of Inex-Adria, Aviogenex and short lived Pan Adria twin jets, taken there back in 70' and 80'.

About the weight: normally 50g would be enough, but you mentioned resin Neomega engines? If these are full resin pieces, more weight in the nose would probably be needed. Of course, if we are talking about resin first compressor stage, intake lips or similar small light parts, you have no problem. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hi, Zebra

I understand you completely, airliners still earning their keep have their appeal. I remember seeing Aviogenex Tu-134s on Brnik occasionally, just as you said, many years ago. They were later supplemented by two B727s and eventually replaced by B737s. Ringway must have been quite important point of departure for charter flights to Adriatic, at least judging by many photos of Inex-Adria, Aviogenex and short lived Pan Adria twin jets, taken there back in 70' and 80'.

About the weight: normally 50g would be enough, but you mentioned resin Neomega engines? If these are full resin pieces, more weight in the nose would probably be needed. Of course, if we are talking about resin first compressor stage, intake lips or similar small light parts, you have no problem. Cheers

Jure

Hi Jure

Yes there were a few flights to the Adriatic back then - in particular I remember Aviogenex Tu-134s and 727s (must have seen the 737s as well, but I don't remember them) and Inex Adria DC-9s and later MD-80s. I think there were JAT DC-9s as well.

The Neomega engines parts are just the smaller parts, not the whole engine, so I don't think they'll add a lot to the weight. But I think I'll try to work out what the nose weight should be anyway - better safe than sorry!

cheers

Julian

I'm building the Tu-134UBL (the TU-160 trainer) and my cockpit did not fit very well...I had to sand BIG time. But it's closed now, same goes for the tail. But A-model makes some interesting kits.

Will be following with interest and this might be the moment to share my build too on the forum!

Cheers ,Evert

• Like 1

looking good...i too began my 172 Tu-134 last weekend....i had some Belavia airline markings come from Revaro in Moscow and began construction....reminds me of an old Frog style kit...i like how you have glued the 3 pieces of the fuselage together rather than the sections as per the instructions...i've struggled somewhat and it'll be some sanding etc to get it right or i'm gonna pull the sections apart and attempt your method!...what shade of grey do you think would be best for aeroflot?,,,so many different shades!...RAL7005 seems too dark RAL 7035 too light!...all the Best

Edited by dieppe76
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dieppe76 said:

looking good...i too began my 172 Tu-134 last weekend....i had some Belavia airline markings come from Revaro in Moscow and began construction....reminds me of an old Frog style kit...i like how you have glued the 3 pieces of the fuselage together rather than the sections as per the instructions...i've struggled somewhat and it'll be some sanding etc to get it right or i'm gonna pull the sections apart and attempt your method!...what shade of grey do you think would be best for aeroflot?,,,so many different shades!...RAL7005 seems too dark RAL 7035 too light!...all the Best

I decided from the start that I was more likely to get smooth joins in the fuselage if I did it this way - experience from the Modelsvit Be-12 showed that it works. I think I probably got stronger joins this way as well, as it would be easier to reinforce them from the inside done this way.

For the Aeroflot grey I've used US Navy Light Gull Gray before, it looked ok but I wasn't entirely convinced by it.

Update for today: Cockpit has been assembled and test fitted into the fuselage. As expected some material needed to be removed to get the fuselage to close up, but it's not too bad. The real big job today though was the windows. There's quite a lot of them - about 40 - and they're all individual parts, don't match the curve of the fuselage, and slightly too big for the holes they go in. My approach was to enlarge the holes slightly by scraping my knife around the inside, install the windows so they stood a little proud of the fuselage, and sand them to the fuselage profile then polish using micro mesh and add a coat of clear. A fairly repetitive and tedious job, and it took a while, but it's done and it's come out quite well. The photo doesn't really do it justice.

Tu -134 WIP - windows

• Like 4