Edwin York's B-25B

72modeler

I don't know if this has been submitted before, but I have attached a link to some photos of the Doolittle Raid, including two photos of Edwin York's B-25B that landed in Vladivostok due to low fuel. IIRC, this B-25 was assigned to a naval unit and used as a trainer. it was reportedly scrapped sometime in the 50's. If so, what a shame, as it would undoubtedly be one of the rarest and  most famous WW2 bombers ever! There was an article, which I read but neglected to save, written by a Soviet aviation enthusiast, who researched the Mitchell and had facts about its internment and subsequent use. I thought, with the Airfix announcement of their new-tool B-25C/D, that this might be of interest to some of you.

BTW, the sole surviving Doolittle Raider is Dick Cole, Doolittle's co-pilot on the raid, who will celebrate his 102nd birthday this year; Colonel Cole lives very near to me, in Comfort, TX. I have had the honor and privilege to have met and talked with him on two occasions, as he used to come to our local IPMS chapter, the Alamo Squadron, during our annual contest, to talk to entrants and spectators and sign autographs. A true gentleman, class act, and outstanding airman- we will not see his kind again, I fear.

Mike

https://forwhattheygave.com/2011/03/26/edward-j-york/

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info and link to the photos of York's plane.  I, too, have had the pleasure of meeting Dick Cole on a couple of occasions.  As the RAF Exchange Officer at Goodfellow AFB, we hosted an airshow which was attended by a number of Doolittle Raiders, including Colonel Cole.  I also met him at Duxford a few years later, and then again at the USAF Museum a few years ago. 

I agree with your sentiments - he's a true gentleman. 

Kind regards,

Mark