The Pacific at War GB Chat

trickyrich

I might take part if I have time and something from this very broad GB, takes my fancy at the time. I've tons of choices with this one. For the Coral Sea/Midway option, does it just have to be the carriers? I've got things like Cruisers and Battleships that covered the carriers a part of the task forces involved, for example, or I could do my Aussie Beaufighter, or Spitfires, or Boomerang. They'll even be a Special Hobby 1/72 Aussie Buffalo out soon.

thanks

Mike

On 30/03/2017 at 8:07 AM, old thumper said:

Sorry I thought my name was on the list already, please add my name.

No worries, you're added and welcome aboard

On 30/03/2017 at 8:09 AM, Mikemx said:

I might take part if I have time and something from this very broad GB, takes my fancy at the time. I've tons of choices with this one. For the Coral Sea/Midway option, does it just have to be the carriers? I've got things like Cruisers and Battleships that covered the carriers a part of the task forces involved, for example, or I could do my Aussie Beaufighter, or Spitfires, or Boomerang. They'll even be a Special Hobby 1/72 Aussie Buffalo out soon.

thanks

Mike

Welcome Mike, with the Carriers it can be the carrier, aircraft on the carrier at the time and support ships that were with the carrier task force at the time, US or Japanese. Just post the references and it'll be fine. Of coarse your Aussie choices would be more than welcome!!! :thumbsup:

No worries - An example of what I mean is the USS Astoria. I have a resin kit of the Astoria and if you watch the film 'Battle of Midway' one of the US officers suggests to Adm Fletcher that he leaves the crippled USS Yorktown and transfers to the cruiser Astoria. I've also got the USS Hamman which was tied up alongside USS Yorktown at Midway, to assist the crippled carrier.

I might just do a plane or 2 though, as ship builds for me, go fine for a while then get stalled for ages! I've found a decal set for Mossies which include SEAC markings and I then remembered why I had an extra Tamiya Mossie but then I have been meaning to building a Beaufighter.......  When does this start?

thanks

Mike

we're still at the stage of signing up interested members, once we hit 30 we go into the voting for next years GB's.

So we still have a way to go.

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

we're still at the stage of signing up interested members, once we hit 30 we go into the voting for next years GB's.

So we still have a way to go.

No worries - if it goes ahead I can provide a list of ships that took part in both battles, plus any other potentially useful info.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up the Tamiya B-339 Buffalo which includes options for RNZAF in Singapore and RAF in Burma, so I reckon you can count me in for this one.

• Like 1

Great news! It's a superb idea for a GB, plenty of variety and subjects for everyone to have a go at :)

Happy Easter everyone

TonyT

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Quick question Rich, is Papua New Guinea included in the SEA remit?

No problem if not as I have a fair few that definitely do fit.

Looking forward to this one.

you had me thinking on this one, but PNG is not considered part of SEA campaign at this time. It's almost considered to be a completely seperate campaign, as there was conflict from January 1942 right up until the Japanese surrender in August 1945.  

It should be a GB all in itself but there's probably not the interest! If we do this sort of thing next time I'd like to cover the area east and south of PNG, which would include Northern Australia, the Solomon Islands, etc. There were some major battles fought here on land sea and air. The battles around this area are considered some of the most arduous fought by the Allied troops in WWII and are not really known about outside this region. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

It should be a GB all in itself but there's probably not the interest! If we do this sort of thing next time I'd like to cover the area east and south of PNG, which would include Northern Australia, the Solomon Islands, etc.

Sounds like a very good idea to me Rich, and would definitely get a vote from me! Maybe include the island hopping campaign to gain a few more votes? I agree that there are some very important and interesting battles from this area and it is a shame to not cover them.

On 14/01/2017 at 10:17 PM, trickyrich said:

Ok I’ve had this running as a discussion piece for a while and there does seem to be some interest in this concept. For those who haven’t seen it it’s basically this.

• Australian and New Zealand Operations in the Pacific
  •  

I dropped the Guadalcanal Campaign one in favour of the Aust/NZ Op. GB 

You may have noticed that there are very few restrictions on Japanese subjects, as long as your build would fit one of these groups it would be fine.

I didn't know these countries were involved, not according to Hollywood anyway "It was the Yanks wot won it !" :coat:

To redress the Allies advantage can I join with an Kawanishi H8K2 Emily Flying Boat ?

cheers Pat

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

I didn't know these countries were involved, not according to Hollywood anyway "It was the Yanks wot won it !" :coat:

To redress the Allies advantage can I join with an Kawanishi H8K2 Emily Flying Boat ?

cheers Pat

now that would be nice to see, welcome aboard!!

• Like 1