The Pacific at War GB Chat

trickyrich

welcome aboard 

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

This is brilliant Rich - please put me down for the SEA and Aus/NZ as I voted for those to be GB's this year! 

That was sort of why I thought of this idea, both of those GB's I thought would have been popular with a huge scope of subject matter...but it wasn't to be.

Hopefully with an idea like this we can get to see some of these lesser GB's come together, that way they all have a much better chance of going through. I already have an idea for a similar GB, made up again of past subjects that didn't quite make it!! Think Buccaneers, Phantoms, MiG-21's and Wyvern's??? Shhhhh  ;)   Lets get this one through to voting first! 

• Like 2

Put me down Rich.

Deffinately for the SEA section as I was surprised and a bit disappointed that the SEA GB didn't get through last year. TBH I was surprised how few votes it actually got.

Thanks 

James

• Like 1

welcome aboard, you're added to the list.

I do hope the SEA crowd will be happy this time, that was a GB that I thought was a winner right from the start....so hopefully this time!

I do hope the SEA crowd will be happy this time, that was a GB that I thought was a winner right from the start....so hopefully this time!

Only thing I find with ship building is it does take longer to say do a Battleship or Carrier if the builder is using a lot of PE unless you are related to speedy Gonzales that is    :frantic:

beefy

5 hours ago, Crossiant Oliver said:

sure I'd like to join. But, can you possibly put carriers for the medditeranean theater? Just asking

hmm yes well the Med unfortunately is a wee bit outside the scope of this GB.

2 hours ago, Crossiant Oliver said:

doh! I forgot this was a PACIFIC WAR Build! 

that's ok, but if Carriers are your thing, the SEA GB would allow for some really nice FAA Carriers!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a bump.

Picked up an A6M2-N Rufe (1/48 Tamiya) from the local hobby shop last night.  Had $11 left on a gift card I needed to burn, so the kit only cost me about $5.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:06 AM, trickyrich said:

welcome along Sabre.

If you'd like to mention which GB you'd be interested in joining, then please do, it's not a commitment, just helps me with the orginising. I'll start the list now.

Oops! Sorry, forgot I hadn't replied to this...time permitting, I'll probably want to cover all three categories.

Is there any chance the Carriers at War theme might be expanded to include Leyte Gulf or even carrier-based operations in general, Dec 41 (but post-Dec 7) through to Aug 45? Not an issue if it remains just Coral Sea and Midway as I doubt if I'll get through all my planned Midway builds this year.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2017 at 7:42 AM, helios16v said:

Just a bump.

Picked up an A6M2-N Rufe (1/48 Tamiya) from the local hobby shop last night.  Had $11 left on a gift card I needed to burn, so the kit only cost me about $5.  :thumbsup:

that was a good find!

14 hours ago, Sabre_days said:

Oops! Sorry, forgot I hadn't replied to this...time permitting, I'll probably want to cover all three categories.

Is there any chance the Carriers at War theme might be expanded to include Leyte Gulf or even carrier-based operations in general, Dec 41 (but post-Dec 7) through to Aug 45? Not an issue if it remains just Coral Sea and Midway as I doubt if I'll get through all my planned Midway builds this year.

It was something I had thought about< i'll leave it as is at the moment, but if there is a big desire by members for it to be widen to carriers in the Pacific 41-45 then it can easily be changed.

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:48 PM, trickyrich said:

It was something I had thought about< i'll leave it as is at the moment, but if there is a big desire by members for it to be widen to carriers in the Pacific 41-45 then it can easily be changed.

Sounds good. Happy to go along with the rules however you set them...if it does get expanded, my first choice would be an F6F Hellcat sometime in 1943, though I might go a bit later to accommodate a "catmouth" VF-27 machine off of USS Princeton or a late-war F4U Corsair (several colourful USN/USMC options to choose from, and also a couple good "Canadian content" options, including Lt Hampton Gray, VC's aircraft and the one flown by Don Sheppard, the RCN's first ace of WWII...though the latter also fits the existing parameters for SEA). Under the current plan, I'll probably go with a TBD Devastator, SB2U Vindicator, D3A "Val" or B5N "Kate."

The other sub-themes have made for easier decisions: For Australian / New Zealand Ops, a Boomerang and an RNZAF Kittyhawk, and for SEA, the Eduard "Liberating Beauties" boxing of the Minicraft Liberator.

Incidentally, if you're willing to accept someone with no prior hosting experience, I'm happy to volunteer as co-host for Carriers at War.

I know I'm getting a little bit far ahead here, but I'm already hoping that if this GB is a success there might be support for a sequel covering the rest of the Pacific War. Should probably be possible in three or four sub-themes:

• China at War - Chinese and Japanese forces involved in the Second Sino-Japanese War, 1937-1945, as well as U.S. and Allied forces in the CBI (some potential overlap with SEA, obviously).
  • Guadalcanal to Okinawa - Basically everything in the PTO "proper" that isn't covered in Carriers at War or Australia/New Zealand (and potentially at least partially reprising both) - USAAF P-38s, B-25s, etc., IJAAF Ki-61s, Ki-43s, etc., submarines, surface ships not directly involved in the carrier war (e.g. the "Tokyo Express" destroyers), Marines and IJA infantry on Iwo Jima, etc.
  • Red Star vs. Rising Sun - The Soviet invasion of Manchuria, 1945...could potentially be merged with China at War.
  • The Forgotten Front - The Aleutians campaign and operations along the west coast of Canada and the U.S....which could also get rolled into a broader "Pacific islands" theme.

Thought I'd just float the idea now to see how everyone feels...

Edited by Sabre_days
  • Like 1

Though I had pitched in already for this.  I fancy either Carrier or SEA as it covers both British Eastern Fleet and British Pacific Fleet.  My stash is a little light at the moment but will be reinforced by then..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sabre_days said:

Sounds good. Happy to go along with the rules however you set them...if it does get expanded, my first choice would be an F6F Hellcat sometime in 1943, though I might go a bit later to accommodate a "catmouth" VF-27 machine off of USS Princeton or a late-war F4U Corsair (several colourful USN/USMC options to choose from, and also a couple good "Canadian content" options, including Lt Hampton Gray, VC's aircraft and the one flown by Don Sheppard, the RCN's first ace of WWII...though the latter also fits the existing parameters for SEA). Under the current plan, I'll probably go with a TBD Devastator, SB2U Vindicator, D3A "Val" or B5N "Kate."

The other sub-themes have made for easier decisions: For Australian / New Zealand Ops, a Boomerang and an RNZAF Kittyhawk, and for SEA, the Eduard "Liberating Beauties" boxing of the Minicraft Liberator.

Incidentally, if you're willing to accept someone with no prior hosting experience, I'm happy to volunteer as co-host for Carriers at War.

I know I'm getting a little bit far ahead here, but I'm already hoping that if this GB is a success there might be support for a sequel covering the rest of the Pacific War. Should probably be possible in three or four sub-themes:

• China at War - Chinese and Japanese forces involved in the Second Sino-Japanese War, 1937-1945, as well as U.S. and Allied forces in the CBI (some potential overlap with SEA, obviously).
  • Guadalcanal to Okinawa - Basically everything in the PTO "proper" that isn't covered in Carriers at War or Australia/New Zealand (and potentially at least partially reprising both) - USAAF P-38s, B-25s, etc., IJAAF Ki-61s, Ki-43s, etc., submarines, surface ships not directly involved in the carrier war (e.g. the "Tokyo Express" destroyers), Marines and IJA infantry on Iwo Jima, etc.
  • Red Star vs. Rising Sun - The Soviet invasion of Manchuria, 1945...could potentially be merged with China at War.
  • The Forgotten Front - The Aleutians campaign and operations along the west coast of Canada and the U.S....which could also get rolled into a broader "Pacific islands" theme.

Thought I'd just float the idea now to see how everyone feels...

They're all great ideas and this is the type of GB that would allow some of these smaller (Well we could all argue that point) GB's to stand a chance of going through.

I still would love just an Australian and New Zealand GB, we may have been small but we excelled where ever we showed up.The greatest of enemies on the Rugby field/Cricket Pitch, but fieriest friends to the end when it mattered!! 

You're very welcome to join up as Co-Host, a great chance to get some experience before you host your own GB....no pressure of course! :D

23 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Though I had pitched in already for this.  I fancy either Carrier or SEA as it covers both British Eastern Fleet and British Pacific Fleet.  My stash is a little light at the moment but will be reinforced by then..

glad to have you along, we still have a little way to go to get to the voting stage, but it's still early days.