Ju88c-6 of KG40

Modelholic

I'm trying to verify an inkiling I have that sometime in '43 a new camo scheme was adopted

see the top profile in this link

http://www.hyperscale.com/2011/reviews/decals/aims48d004reviewbg_1.htm

Does anyone have any links to more info on this changeover and more illustrations of the scheme.

I have Dragons #5536 Zerstorer and I'm thinking painting and marking options.

Thanks

Tom

Hi, Modelholic

There are two photos of F8+RY in Ron Mackay's book Junkers Ju 88, published by Crowood. On the first photo, taken on 19th September 1943, this Ju 88 is the only one in new scheme, the rest being in splinter camouflage, probably consisting of RLM 70/71/65, although 72/73/65 could not be ruled out. On the second photo there are five Ju 88s, all in modified camouflage. To me at least F8+RY looks like being painted in RLM 76 overall, with some patches and stripes still in original camouflage, just like reviewer Rob Baumgartner indicated. Although partially obscured by F8+RY, mottles on F8+NY seems to be in a rather lighter colour. Of course, this may well be due to slightly greater distance from the camera. Cheers

Jure

2 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Interesting pic Vonbraun, is there any significance to the infilling(?) of the swastika?

The image has been censored.  However, on the real thing the the lighter camouflage appears to be applied around the swastika, leaving the original RLM 70/71 between the arms of the swastika. 

Incidentally Hasegawa provided these makings and two other KG 40 machines in their 1/72 scale kit of the C-6...

10304539p.jpg

I'm currently researching a scheme for a 1/32 build later in the year, have you seen Chris Goss's book "Bloody Biscay" or the French magazine Les Batailles Aeriennes "Les Loupes d'Atlantique"? Lots of info on operations and characters in the former and some colour schemes in the later.

I have a theory that from mid 1943 all new aircraft received by the unit were in the nighfighter scheme of basic RLM76, this made the older aircraft stand out when in a mixed flight so as time allowed a pattern of 76 was over sprayed, resulting in the "odd" schemes. Plus the lighter colours were more effective camouflage and it pandered to the natural pilots want to have at least the semblance of the latest kit? 

Reading the books has opened a new urge to model aircraft operated from the airfields local to me, so where is a new mould Beaufighter or B-24 in 1/32 scale? 😄

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

I did this scheme last year in the Ju-88 Groups build. It was great fun to do.

Just like Chuck1945 said the decals are made by a Ju-88 "fanatic", who nows  his Ju 88's.

Here is a link to my build.

I also have the crowood book. I hope it helps,

Cheers,