Hi from a newbie modeller in Bristol (UK)

SteveR

Hi everyone!
I took up modelling about six months ago, I'm 43 and I've never tried it before. I love Sci-fi, especially space ships. Having bought a few small die-cast models over the years I decided I'd buy and build a much bigger model. So I bought the Star Trek Enterprise - NCC1701 (TOS) Revell kit and I've been hooked ever since!

The model itself is not 100% accurate when compared to the studio models, but as this is my first model I'm not going to worry about that this time. I'm also lighting it with LEDs. It's been a huge learning experience and great fun! I've designed and built a few PCBs/circuits to control the navigation lights and buzzard effects (decided not to use a motor) and I've just started glueing it all together! I've taken a few photos of the process so far, so I'll look at posting them in the WIP forum soon :)

As for me, I live in Bristol (UK). I've worked in the computer games industry for nearly 20 years and I also run my own bespoke web software company. Now that the kids (four of them) have grown up I just about have time for a hobby! Yay!

So anyway thanks for having me, it's nice to be here! I'm looking forward to developing my modelling skills and helping others if I can :)

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello from Long Eaton. Glad you've found us. Beware though, I was a dedicated armour model maker, since I came here I've been drawn into flying machines, submarines, cars & vans, even space craft and Whatifs?

You've got a good start, just build and enjoy, the rivet counting may come later but best to get used to the basics before you start scratch-building tiny extra parts LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the welcome guys :D

I've just finished masking all the windows on the model and giving it a coat of primer, so I'll be painting soon. Everything is new to me, so each stage, like gluing it together, removing seams, painting etc are all slightly scary. I've taken quite a few photos as I've been building so I'll try and put together a 'Work In Progress' post soon :)

• Like 1