Great Vulcan 617 Sqn film

71chally

Apologies if posted before, but this is a superb film encapsulating the last few weeks of 617 squadron, and their Avro Vulcans, in November 1981.

Excellent footage and sound of the aircraft itself, starting with a four ship ORP scramble, it captures well the air and ground crew perspective (with jolly japes a plenty!).

It is also a really useful reference for modelling crew, ground support equipment and vehicles of the 1980s RAF.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 6

Well, that was a dose of nostalgia of an

Air Force now long gone.

Long hair, smoking, Mini's & Transits,

Vulcans (of course) and a general attitude

of pressonitis.

A few short years after that it became almost

an eight 'til five job and somehow, some of the

fun went out of it.

Thank you for that. The sound of a Vulcan on

take off still does it for me!

Pete

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Great footage of a bygone era!

Enjoyed that enormously, I remember seeing a four ship scramble at Waddington? could've been Scampton back around then? One of the most impressively awesome things I've seen (maybe slightly bettered by the last Lightning show Binbrook '87?)

Royal Air Force Austin Mini? that's a new one on me? Great little cars!

The part where they flew over the Humber Bridge, I could see my house ! Ha! Fantastic

. . . Kes (who ironically misses the cold war and the threat of total mutually assured destruction! )

• Like 1

On 14/01/2017 at 17:14, 71chally said:

Apologies if posted before, but this is a superb film encapsulating the last few weeks of 617 squadron, and their Avro Vulcans, in November 1981.

Excellent footage and sound of the aircraft itself, starting with a four ship ORP scramble, it captures well the air and ground crew perspective (with jolly japes a plenty!).

It is also a really useful reference for modelling crew, ground support equipment and vehicles of the 1980s RAF.

Classic comb-overs and 'taches.

Thomo.

• Like 2

Wow what a trip down memory lane, I was an engine man at Waddington the other side of Lincoln on 44 Sqdn. I think I even recognise one or two faces on the film.. 

I still remember being on the ORP for scrambles, getting behind the power set (generator) for protection from the jet blast. I think the last scramble we did was at the Finningley airshow.

The best bit was hearing  a "rapid start" taking place, compressed air stored in gas bottles staring the engines very quickly and noisily.

Great times and trips.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As patjb say a trip down memory lane, I was at Scampton then, I remember quite a few of the aircrew in the video.

In 5 months from then I was in Lossie.

Paul