Here goes! Airfix Starter kit Hawker Typhoon IB

I have only just joined, but it was suggested that I post pics of my first build, so I could get feedback and advice. Please be nice, I have two left thumbs and the talent of a dead possum :-)

I went to Models of Distinction in Farnham today to pick up a few tools, no doubt I will be going back there frequently as I discover what I don't yet know I need :D

I have a spray can of Acrylic primer, and from reading the threads I hope to coat it in clear gloss before applying decals, and then clear matt afterwards. That is predicated on me not ending up with it glued to my elbow and me throwing it out of the window!

Here goes for posting pics!

32153454052_697bf5414b_b.jpg

The box!

31926461540_be786f7e43_b.jpg

Not as complex as any I have seen on this forum, but scary enough for me!

31492449553_90093e867e_b.jpg

Pieces washed and ready for me to start building!

I have washed the pieces, as suggested elsewhere, just need to let them dry and then I can get started.....although trying to understand the instructions is like learning an entirely new language!

Edited by Fatboyslow
trying to get pics to embed from flickr
  • Like 10

Study the instructions whilst the parts dry.

AFAIR look for a flashed over hole in the part which forms the cockpit bottom/wheel wells and rear of the big nose intake [on the frame on right]

You need to drill that open to fit the air filter. [might be on the frame on the left]

If you don't you'll not get it to fit.

A lot more parts than you'll use.

Check your parts; it looks like one wheel half has come off the frame [top left frame]

• Like 2

Thankfully, it was an optional part! I can build the model as if it were in flight!

Phew I was about to have a bit of a toys out of the pram moment! Your attention to detail Blackknight is something I am going to have to develop!

Welcome fatboyslow - you've picked a cracking little kit to get you started.  The guys on the forum are amazing and have helped me out on more occasions than I care to remember - a proper little modelling family. 

I'll be watching your build with interest and if I can be of any help I will be.

Sorry to hear you seem to be missing a wheel half.  I know I don't have any spares for this but maybe someone will and be able to help you out. 

A Typhoon ? Off course I'll watch this :-)

New wheels could be sourced here

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE7302

But that might be a little scary...

It's been a few years since I built mine, but it was a nice kit with no traps that I suffered from.

Top half of the cockpit is predominantly black and with a pilot in place it'll be virtually impossible to see anything in it.

Good luck to you!

That wheel was missing off the sprue whilst still in the bag. You can see it's not there in the first image Fatboyslow posted.

Anyone got a spare in their parts bin?

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fatboyslow said:

Thankfully, it was an optional part! I can build the model as if it were in flight!

Phew I was about to have a bit of a toys out of the pram moment! Your attention to detail Blackknight is something I am going to have to develop!

I know they've taken an awful lot of flak lately but try contacting Airfix's spares department: you've photographic evidence that the part wasn't in the bag when you opened the kit.  If they don't prove helpful I may well have a (painted) spare you can have: one of our kittens permanently "rehomed" an assembled undercarriage leg & door (please don't ask!) so I've already reached the "build it wheels up" stage with one of mine.

Welcome to the fun house! I can find you a wheel if you don't get any joy out of Airfix spares. If you email them a picture of the sealed plastic bag and point out the missing piece, you should get one straight back if they still have stock.

Regards,

Adrian