Matchbox B-17G Flying Fortress 2nd Patches,15th Air Force

Another kit is added to my Matchbox collection

2nd Patches was an Italy based olive drab painted B-17G, at some point or points in it's life various parts of this machine were replaced with parts from other aircraft giving it a part painted / unpainted livery.

Nearly all the larger clear parts have been replaced on this model, but apart from that is pretty much as Matchbox intended with very little re-scribing or other work.

Paints are Revell olive brown with Humbrol and Testors olive drabs, while the bare metal is alclad.

To sum up, a fun build that I could of carried on messing about with for ever. 

The windows need a bit of a clean.  

32301928445_a6530bda4d_k.jpg

31925257090_398dc91dfb_k.jpg

32182277271_b1c2d8410e_k.jpg

32182293201_360cbc47a4_k.jpg

31491232123_d933fb3f48_k.jpg

32152264212_5193067ca2_k.jpg

32301917365_7ffc98819a_k.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 35

That's a nice looking B-17, great job. 

Currently building the new airfix 1/72 if I get anywhere near half the finish you have I will be well pleased. 

• Like 1

Great looking Fort OT. I like the paintjob and the exhaust staining on the wings. Another great Matchbox build. I am looking forward to the Matchbox. GB but it's so far away. Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments and likes.

This may be the last Matchbox B-17 we see on here, they were never the most common kit and like Cheezburger said are getting harder to find. 

2nd Patches is a nice subject for a B-17 and I believe there are aftermarket decals available should anyone fancy doing a more modern build. 

On 1/15/2017 at 2:42 PM, rob85 said:

That's some cracking work mate, she looks great!

Rob

On 1/17/2017 at 6:25 AM, Mark4700 said:

Another superb finish. :clap2:

Thank you both. The close ups show a few things I didn't notice with the naked eye, time for stronger glasses maybe. 

Hello,Old Thumper - Well,my friend,your customary expertise shines through with this fine looking 'B-17'. You have a magic way with these classic kits which always results in a model that I thoroughly enjoy viewing.Keep up this great work.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Old Thumper - Well,my friend,your customary expertise shines through with this fine looking 'B-17'. You have a magic way with these classic kits which always results in a model that I thoroughly enjoy viewing.Keep up this great work.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

Thanks very much, I think a Matchbox Mosquito needs building for the De Havilland group build.

• Like 2

Nice job.

I don't think I got close to this Matchbox kit - I was probably losing touch with the hobby at the time it hit the market (I was into my later teen years and going to university; when many young modellers typically fade out of it, only to "rediscover" it after education, marriage, babies, etc. are done with).

Good work.  :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Arniec said:

Great job on the Matchbox kit. :clap2:

Good idea about the Mosquito for the D.H. GB. Might pick that idea from you.

Cheers,

Thanks.

The more Matchbox the merrier.

10 hours ago, kapam said:

Nice job.

I don't think I got close to this Matchbox kit - I was probably losing touch with the hobby at the time it hit the market (I was into my later teen years and going to university; when many young modellers typically fade out of it, only to "rediscover" it after education, marriage, babies, etc. are done with).

Good work.  :)

Matchbox were more common in paper shops than model shops where I was from, the bigger Matchbox kits were out of most of us kids pocket money ranges so I don't think there was that much demand for them.

I also discovered more exciting things in my later teenage years.

Thanks.

• Like 1