Evett's Model Shop: A Great Hobby Store

Crossiant Oliver

So in Los Angeles everything is spread out. From my house to downtown is maybe 20 miles. The closest hobby shop to me (besides michael's crafts and hobby lobby) is Evett's Model Shop, located in the beach town of Santa Monica, California.

If anyone lives in Los Angeles or is planning to visit it, DEFINITLY check this shop out. It opened in 1948 and is pretty much the old fashioned hobby shop. Models hanging from the ceiling, the smell of cardboard, and the glass counters. The people who work there are very nice. The original Evett sadly died in 2013, but his wife and his children run the store. They can help you on anything and can even chat with you about models. One time I went into there to find a replacement prop for a frog Vultee Vengeance ( don't ask,) and Mrs. Evett brought a whole box of model parts for me to look,  and she didn't charge me for the parts! Sadly I didn't find any, but this shows how nice people can be. They also have a big selection of kits. Revell, Tamiya, Academy, Airfix, you name it. 

Another cool part about it is it's history. This hobby shop was less than a 5 minute drive to the Revell Headquarters, so this hobby shop was probably the first hobby shop to get the new Revell kits IN THE WORLD! 

So, if live in LA or are planning to go there, definitely visit this place. It's a good 'ol mom and pop hobby shop. 

(No this is not an advertisement for the shop, im not affiliated with it)

• Like 5

I don't know,  just going to Santa Monica seems so cool. I speak as an addict of US TV shows from the 70s and 80s. 

Thanks for the heads up. My wife and kids and I are planning a trip to the west coast. She's been all over the world but not the the USA and can't understand my  enthusiasm for America. We might accidently find our way to Evetts. 

Sounds like a great place. When I was a kid (before the Frog Vengeance came out......) the old guy who ran my local model shop used to wrap purchases in crisp brown paper, which added to the magic of it all: I know what you mean about the smell of cardboard. The shop had glass counters, too.....

Agree on Santa Monica sounding cool.

BUT

Brown paper and glass counters............How good does that sound?

Put me back in Feltham around 1960 . No PCH . We did have the  3 Horseshoes and Sunbury Road !

3 Horseshoes...Clip,Clop,Clip, ouch !

Stupid name !

I know the place well, grew up right next to Santa Monica Airport where my dad paid for us to take a flight in an old Ford Trimotor with wicker seats. Anyway, last time I was in Mr. E was still toddling around the shop where the "old school" feel still remains. I live in Orange County now where Brookhurst Hobbies is literally the only place to go (BTW my British mates, if you come over to visit Disneyland, Brookhurst Hobbies is about ten minutes away) and the selection of kits is very good, as well as ample paints, resin parts, decals, etc. Anyway, Evetts is worth the visit, and a few minutes away is the best Pub/Fish and Chips in Southern California, the famous Kings Head Inn is definitely worth the visit, plenty of pictures on the wall of some very distinguished visitors, like The Beatles, Stones, various movie stars, but I go in for the F&C and a ginger beer. This sounds like a travelogue but if you are from GB you won't be alone. At last count there are over 20,000 Brits living there, they really love the climate, and I like the cute British waitresses at the inn. Now, back to my Hayabusa.

Cheers!

• Like 1