BUGATTI T46 "Surprofilée" 1:8

Hi Dan, 

The windshield wipers do not look too short but to my eye they do look a little voluptuous (the rubber as well as the subparts). I reckon you have better (photographic) reference information, but this is just what it seems like when comparing them by the photos you posted. 

You're doing a great job and I really enjoy following it. In the end this will be perhaps 20% Pocher and 80% Dan.

Brgds Roy

Thank you very much Roy, but for me it's 80% Pocher and 20% me...

Do you imagine only the work on the body and fender?

But on small parts, I agree!

Today, wheel hubs.
The real car:

334622Capturedecran20180103a173055.png

Mine, a mix of Pocher parts...

159912DSC0006.jpg

993624DSC0008.jpg

793435DSC0010.jpg

953081DSC0005.jpg

Some work on head lights.
Fatty on the right...

593528DSC0001.jpg

Happy New Year to all!
Dan.

• Like 5

Fantastic work. surgery in progress. And this is metal pieces of this size... like making a watch !

i think this is a good name for you; Propeller the watch maker ! well done and happy New Year. Sam

• Like 1

Thank you very much gentlemen!

A very big watch Sam... But parallel much appreciated.

Before painting the wings for the first coat, which I hope this time successful (!), I had to take care of the protective strips, molded at Pocher, eliminated by me.
I thought of a walk ... It's a nightmare!

Trials of several techniques, here is the best rendering, but I will have to add a median fixation, which does not exist in reality, but I do not want to have to stick on the beautiful_ I hope_ painting! All this to get regular intervals ...

560658DSC0001.jpg

610268DSC0003.jpg

295124DSC0004.jpg

Dan.

• Like 5

Dan, I stumbled upon this build by accident, and I am so glad I did..... I have just spent an incredible 2 hours here, and your talents are incredible, your workmanship is exquisite...............it is hard to believe it is a model and not the real deal .............. I am in absolute awe.............stunning details and an incredible eye you have................ beautiful....

Cheers

Jeff

I'm sure that you have probably already considered this but, I know Codger's RR had threaded rod soldered to the bottom of each running board strip which was then held on with nuts. I'm pretty sure that Dave Cox assisted or fabricated those for him out of brass and then Chas polished them to a flawless finish and sent them out to be chrome plated. It's one way to attached the strips on a flawlessly painted part without the worry of using glue. Just a thought

• Like 1

Hi gentlemen and thank you very much.
But after deliberation with my staff ( I'm alone...) I decided to stay on my first solution...
Easier for me, and I can't approach the reality anyway! The nickel (maillechort in french) stripes will
be fixed with three bolts (M 6):

dsc_0010.jpg

dsc_0011.jpg

dsc_0012.jpg

Dan.

• Like 5

Dan

Your work is fascinating in detail and precision. I wonder if you work all the time under a huge magnifier or what ?

Also, talking about 0.6 MM bolts and nuts, do you use prime-miniature ? ( which i find fantastic ) or other brand ? soon i am starting a modern F1 1/12 from Tamiya and would like to use as much real bolts as possible.

where did you get the leather for the seats ? did you have to scrub it to make it thinner ?

Sorry for all these questions, your work is so inspiring to raise my own game, thank you 

Cheers 

Sam

PS  on the leather, if i remember correctly @Codger had one of his lady's gloves disappear... i will probably do the same.:o

6 hours ago, sharknose156 said:

PS  on the leather, if i remember correctly @Codger had one of his lady's gloves disappear... i will probably do the same.:o

No my friend, not I. Mine was bespoke kid skin from Roymattblack. I did skive it thinner in some areas. Besides I'd have needed more gloves than a hockey team - doors, seats, sofa, headliner...:S

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2018 at 3:11 PM, larchiefeng said:

I'm sure that you have probably already considered this but, I know Codger's RR had threaded rod soldered to the bottom of each running board strip which was then held on with nuts. I'm pretty sure that Dave Cox assisted or fabricated those for him out of brass and then Chas polished them to a flawless finish and sent them out to be chrome plated. It's one way to attached the strips on a flawlessly painted part without the worry of using glue. Just a thought

Dan your ultimate solution is perfectly fine -very distinctive on this car.

To clarify the record, Wayne is absolutely correct. I asked David to fabricate his signature brass strips, to my dimensions of the running boards. Their placement is  different than the once molded-on Pocher strips. David drills each strip in 3 places and inserts brass rod of .020 diameter then solders over the tops. I polished each as perfectly as I could get it and then they were chromed. I made a template of each strip's location and then drilled the plastic running board - before paint. Very satisfactory.

Dan I'd be remiss if I did not say your build is a fantastic exercise in advanced Pocher classic building. Bravo !

• Like 1

Thank you very much guys!

To Sam, you are welcome... For tiny pieces I wear two pairs of glasses, about +5 diopters! Remember, I'm 70 years old. More comfortable than huge magnifier.
For hardware, bolts, nuts and so one, I buy all here, in Germany, fast and reliable with very good prices:  https://knupfer.info/shop/

And I got the leather many years ago by a friend of mine, now retired as me! And of course with the good thickness... But beware with your wife's gloves!

To Codger, your kind words are much appreciated... 

So, fenders are almost completed...

dsc_0014.jpg

dsc_0013.jpg

dsc_0015.jpg

Dan.
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

Thank you very much guys!

To Sam, you are welcome... For tiny pieces I wear two pairs of glasses, about +5 diopters! Remember, I'm 70 years old. More comfortable than huge magnifier.

Dan.

I just had an image of the old guy from Toy Story 2 repairing Woody.

Nice detail on the headlights and the flexible metal wrap for the wiring. I also wanted that look on the Mercedes and I used the flexible throttle cable from the kit and then substituted metal guitar wire for the cable. 

What did you use on your headlights; it looks pretty flexible and it conforms nicely to the stalk under the fender. All in all, quite the detailed masterpiece that you are creating!