BUGATTI T46 "Surprofilée" 1:8

Thank you gentlemen. Hannes, your kind words are much appreciated! What is rare is precious... 

Well, in fact I'm waiting for brake fluid.

Before remove the body for pain...ting, I have to work on rear seats. Pocher parts modified of course,

but it's a good basis:

934764DSC0008.jpg

852081DSC0011.jpg

Smileys are ready too!

795474DSC0012.jpg

741531DSC0015.jpg

Thanks for watching,

Dan.

• Like 1

Great work, Dan :yes:

If you permit a little and constructive criticism:

For the glass part of your tail lights, you could use a rod of plexiglass, put it to the good diameter and thickness with your lathe, and then use transparent red and orange Tamiya paints. It would be much more realistic

• Like 2

To Thierry, I'm sorry but I don't agree... Remember, we are in the 1930'! No plastic parts of course!
For the rear lights transparent material was called in french "Mica". Front lights, molded glass...
And mine, to my own eyes are too flashy:

631523Capturedecran20171126a103640.png

Dan.

• Like 1

All I know is that Plexi-glass was invented in 1929 and the patent given 1933 . A very dark red  ( semi-gloss ) should reduce the " flashy " effect .

Some layers of transparent colors over the existing orange and red  could possibly do .  Hannes

• Like 1

We had a discussion in the 806 thread regarding the material of the transparent screen on the steering wheel .Carlo Salamano ( the second driver of this car ) said in an 1960 interview that this screen was made out of Plexi-glass . That´s impossible as we all know .Most likely it was made out of a thermoplast like Celluloid .

On your first photo it  looks like this kind of material .  Hannes

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:56 PM, harveyb258 said:

I wish I could see the pics......but there is no doubt in my mind that you'll be doing an incredible job, as always!:D

Hi Dan,

I haven't been able to see the pics since!! Hence, no comments. However, I just replaced my ancient pc with something more recent, and voila!!! Pics!!!:D

I'm now having a catch-up and I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far!! Hat's off, sir...keep it up!

Cheers, H

ps. Have just caught up!! One word...STUNNING!!!!!!a

Edited by harveyb258
adendum

Your build progresses very quickly, Dan, much more than mine...(I'm not jealous, only amazed by your great skills)

So I can see, looking at your splendid work, some ideas of improvements I'd planned to implement, such as:

- folding and forward / backward moveable seats

- Wooden steering wheel

Of course, I'll implement them, and probably the same way than you ( I'm not a nasty copycat, just a busy man who cannot give up time enough to his hobby).

Keep up the good job, Dan :yes:

• Like 1

Great upholstery job Dan! 

I have read all updates of the last two months in this topic (I've been a bit inactive) and must say that your progress has not been disappointing, to say le moins. Everything complies with the towering standards you set in my mind through your Talbot-Lago build. 

One thought on removing paint, I know four liquids that can do that:

- Brake liquid (caveat: may damage resin parts)

- Oven cleaner (caveat: may damage metal parts)

- Pure Dettol Chloroxylenol 48 mg/ml (no caveat as far as I know)

- Strip Magic Deluxe Materials (caveat: may damage financial solvency)

Personally I have never used anything but Dettol, not because that's necessarily the best product there is, but because it does exactly what I need it to do and I never had problems with it. I don't know how it reacts to resin or metal parts, I have usually used it to remove so-called 'chromed' parts of kits and sometimes to remove paint on plastic parts. Oven cleaner recently thinned a photo etched metal grille of a rare tractor kit of a friend, to his horror. He then tried (used) brake liquid and it affected resin parts of that same kit. I can't guarantee Dettol won't have that same effect but at this point have no reason to believe it would. I have not heard problems with either product if applied on plastic-covered paint. 

I do look forward to seeing your next instalment, you never fail to amaze me with each post that contains visual evidence of your build progress. 

Thanks Roy, very glad to see you again!

I will try brake fluid soon...

Well, lot of work, and little to show, ultimate settings on the body before pain(t)...
All the glazings are ready:

500968DSC0002.jpg

664789DSC0001.jpg

It will be a summertime version! Nothing functional, as usual: 

204120DSC0007.jpg

My way to insert the glazings:

771937DSC0011.jpg

One varnish layer more, and the woodwork will be ok, except the dashboard! 

127028DSC0006.jpg

Dan.

• Like 4